Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Other than the obvious problem of a lack of fire power, where can we improve?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Tactically. We need to stop playing like we're inferior to everyone. The only time we've attacked anyone this season, we won...

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The game was won until we failed to track a midfield player's run into the area, then left Defoe - Defoe! - unmarked. Three potentially precious points tossed casually away through the most basic of defensive errors. Hughton must be fuming.

Yes, he would be, but I was thinking how slow that 2nd half was going at 1-0 up and thought BM probably had the industry to score a couple. Frustrating that Howe's substitution was so effective.

I worry for us about how we will chase a game from behind. West Brom, at 3-1 down launched several very uninspired but dangerous attacks against us - could have scored twice if not thrice. When we chase a game it just feels we don't have that potency. For us to have equalised yesterday would have had to come down to a defensive mistake rather than a plan B ( ? ) working.

It's going to be a long season. Get used to this feeling. Personally I'm already superstitious about the yellow kit.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
- show a bit more belief. You belong in the Premier League
- go for the second goal in situations like last night. We were on top. You can't invite Premier League teams on like that
- support the strikers more. I'm not against backward passes, but we seem far too happy to get into their final third and play a pass 40 yards backwards. Push up as a team, give each other options
- consider swapping Uwe for Duffy against teams with less ariel threat
- go 4-2-3-1. I think it suits our squad
- keep working on the corners and set pieces. We look a threat

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tactically. We need to stop playing like we're inferior to everyone. The only time we've attacked anyone this season, we won...

Agreed, we are very good at defending but if the game plan in every game is to defend and hit teams on the break and then defend again then we will get undone most games. Unlike us teams at this level have quick quality forwards who will eventually find their way past our 11 defenders. Can't see us coming from behind in games this season either. We need to show more ambition from kick off imo. Fear will see us relegated.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When we had the ball we seemed more concerned with maintaining our shape than breaking with pace and numbers. To some degree this happened for 15mins at the start of the 2nd half, but we look a bit too rigid and obsessed with our shape when we're in possession.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I LOVE our players. But those with pace don't have the confidence to really go for it. They tend to play a safe game, they will turn and pass it backwards. So coach it out of them. We've certainly got the raw material.
The trouble is I think the game plan is to turn and pass it backwards. That's what is being coached into them and it's not a lack of confidence holding the pacy players back

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Our failure to sign a Premier League quality striker mean Hughton's team selection is completely hampered. I hate the defending all game approach but the recruitment team have left him with one hand tied behind his back at least until January. Our striker line up is Championship quality and although Gross may come good we have no tricky strikers apart from Baldock who is nowhere near ready to play football.

Hemed has stepped up better than I expected, Murray looks absolutely shit so far. Poor old CH has no options.

Gonna be a long hard season. UTA

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Try keeping the ball, or not giving it away too easily.

Try playing in the opposition's half? Times yesterday there were 21 players in our half of the field - and not just briefly. When the ball's popping around the edge of our penalty area we're bound to concede eventually. I don't want us to do a Bailey again, but TB, can you not have a word about moving the focus say, 10 yards nearer the other side's goal? At this level, you can't play 70 minutes of defence vs. attack and expect to get away with it.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
No one is actually saying what the problem is.

The team that crosses the white line, has their last instructions repeated to them 4-5 minutes before they enter the field of play.

They have been told ALL WEEK what they are to do, who to mark how to operate down to the tiniest enth degree.

Shown videos of the do's and dont's, whys and wherefores.

They enter the pitch with all this information in their heads.

The start as they were told to, be cautious and try and get them on the break.

Half time arrives, luckily as we were under the hammer.

2nd half we score, yes, we are on top, we can win this. Smug makes some changes to win the game or get something out of the game.

Then as per every game, almost like day follows night, 20 or so minutes left, the instructions from our manager come, defend the 18 yard box and hope they don't score.

Sit back, defend, defend, defend, defend, defend.

The same thing happened at WBA. We were 3-0 up FFS, go for the 4th while they were down and out. No, make a negative change !!!!

The team seem to play with no real belief, negative before positive, back before forward, not just this season so far but quite a few times last season.

The manager has to have belief in how own ability, and the teams ability if we are to enter the pitch in the right frame of mind.

You have a good squad Chris, believe in them as the supporters do. Make them feel they are invincible and cant be beaten. They can walk on water and get blood from a stone.

If you let them think they can be beaten they will, if you make them believe they cant be beaten they wont.

You are a fantastic manager Chris, but your downfall will come if you continue to lock up shop before being aggressive and positive.

IMHO.

Sits back and waits........

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Try playing in the opposition's half? Times yesterday there were 21 players in our half of the field - and not just briefly. When the ball's popping around the edge of our penalty area we're bound to concede eventually. I don't want us to do a Bailey again, but TB, can you not have a word about moving the focus say, 10 yards nearer the other side's goal? At this level, you can't play 70 minutes of defence vs. attack and expect to get away with it.

The one thing we haven't got thank goodness is a chairman who will interfere...leave that to Palace

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Little ?
We were 1-0 up away from home with 25 minutes to go, and had 1 off the line, and 1 hit the post.

I think its fairly to clear to some that Bournemouth were not exactly Real Madrid, and when we did start to attack a little we had some joy and exposed frailties in their defence.

I also think its fair to say that had we gone out with more attacking intent, instead of giving up possession and sitting back waiting to be picked apart, we may have come away with a point and possibly all 3.

The chances we created were all in the space of about 5 minutes and other than that, we didn't create anything. So no, I don't believe we created anywhere near as many opportunities as I believe we could have.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Little ?
We were 1-0 up away from home with 25 minutes to go, and had 1 off the line, and 1 hit the post.

Yeah but what about the worrying bit? The other team takes the lead, we lose.

3 times this season we have gone behind and three times we could hardly string a pass together afterwards.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The chances we created were all in the space of about 5 minutes and other than that, we didn't create anything. So no, I don't believe we created anywhere near as many opportunities as I believe we could have.

We lost because we didn't attack more ? We were playing 4-4-2 for the last 15 minutes.
Or did we just gift Defoe a load of space in the penalty box and couldn't cope with Ibe. Or is it always Hughtons tactics or the transfer window - never the players errors .

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Keep the ball better and for longer, don't give the ball straight back to the opposition, don't sit so deep for most of the game, show more ambition. All areas to work on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here