Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We should have bought Krull on a one year contract..,,

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
This would have left us an opportunity to get a striker on loan !

Why waste our last loan deal on an ageing keeper when a striker is our main priority ??

I've mentioned this in a few other threads but feels it deserves a thread of its own !!

Discuss !!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Why waste our last loan deal on an ageing keeper when a striker is our main priority ??

I've mentioned this in a few other threads but feels it deserves a thread of its own !!

Discuss !!

Yeah, but you working on the basis that a last minute loan deal for a goalkeeper scuppered an even last minute loan deal for a striker.

You don't know that.

If Krul has arrived last week you might have an argument.

But it doesn't look great does it ?

On the outside it looks like the failed medical on the striker dropped a bomb. In retrospect ( and hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it ?) get the striker confirmed FIRST then deal with the rest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mentioned (and ignored) on another thread. If you have a time machine, go back and fix it.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Yeah, but you working on the basis that a last minute loan deal for a goalkeeper scuppered an even last minute loan deal for a striker.

You don't know that.

If Krul has arrived last week you might have an argument.

Rubbish !!

A striker has always been our main priority !

We had one last card at a loan, we still had no striker, but they used the last loan on a keeper, which I'm sure we could have bought !!

Crazy !!!

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ

Discuss !!

Agree... but with hindsight I suppose.

Think Janssen would probably have been willing on a season long loan deal. Permanent switch from Spurs to here on the other hand? Hard to be too critical of his decision really.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I think the bigger question is why we had to go for Krul at all. Seems to me the the reason is because there are now doubts over Ryan...

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Maybe Krul wouldn't have wanted a permanent deal, he probably fancies his chances of staying in the prem.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Agree... but with hindsight I suppose.

Think Janssen would probably have been willing on a season long loan deal. Permanent switch from Spurs to here on the other hand? Hard to be too critical of his decision really.

As I said, we needed a striker more than a keeper, no reason why we should not have bought Krull, therefore leaving the spare loan deal for the position we really needed !!

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I think the bigger question is why we had to go for Krul at all. Seems to me the the reason is because there are now doubts over Ryan...

Agreed, we've obviously got huge doubts on Ryan and the decision to part with Stockdale and loan Walton seems a poor one.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Maybe Krul wouldn't have wanted a permanent deal, he probably fancies his chances of staying in the prem.

His current Newcastle deal expires this summer. A one year deal makes no difference other than avoiding a fee with Newcastle.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Then find a keeper that does !! Pretty sure that would be easier to find a keeper vying for a place amongst 2 others than getting a striker on loan whose guaranteed a starting place at 70k a week !!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Rubbish !!

A striker has always been our main priority !

We had one last card at a loan, we still had no striker, but they used the last loan on a keeper, which I'm sure we could have bought !!

Crazy !!!

Nah, hold on.

I'm as pissed off as you are. But take a deep breath.

You are making the same mistake as the senior management did at my company when everything went pear shaped a couple of years ago.

Doing micro cause and effect analysis on problems, what caused them ? what was the knock on effect ?

As I pointed out to them (and as now I will point out to you) mistakes happen all the time but if you make them early you can fix them quickly.

You have just sandwiched everything into a day - just as they have. Don't waste time on what happened in panic. Focus on what caused the panic.

Signing a goalkeeper on loan late ISN'T the problem. Not signing a striker permanently earlier is.

That's the lesson learnt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did we need a keeper more than a striker ??? No !! So why use the last loan on a keeper, especially as we probably could have bought him for next to nothing ?

Hours befor the deadline? Someone else has already answered this....

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
His current Newcastle deal expires this summer. A one year deal makes no difference other than avoiding a fee with Newcastle.

That makes it even more ludicrous !!

A loyal servant to his club, I'm sure the geordies would look to have realised him from his contract for a small fee

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hindsight is wonderful isn't it?

We can only assume that at the point of doing a loan deal for Krul, the club were confident of doing a permanent deal for a striker.

So, let's assume we could have done a loan deal for a striker. Which striker who would improve our squad do you KNOW would have come to us on loan?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Nah, hold on.

You are making the same mistake as the senior management did at my company when everything when pear shaped a couple of years ago.

Doing micro cause and effect analysis on problems, what caused them ? what was the knock on effect ?

As I pointed out to them and as now I will point out to you, mistakes happen all the time but if you make them early you can fix them quickly.

You have just sandwiched everything into a day - just as they have.

Signing a goalkeeper on loan late ISN'T the problem. Not a striker permanently earlier is.

Yes it is a problem !! We didn't need a keeper !! We needed a striker !! We used up our last loan option, signing a player in a position that wasn't a priority !! We should have left that for the striker we now don't have !!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Hindsight is wonderful isn't it?

We can only assume that at the point of doing a loan deal for Krul, the club were confident of doing a permanent deal for a striker.

So, let's assume we could have done a loan deal for a striker. Which striker who would improve our squad do you KNOW would have come to us on loan?

I guess that's why we aren't Premier League Ready then ! Assuming we've signed people ! Jeez !!

Perhaps Jannsenn would have come on a season loan ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes it is a problem !! We didn't need a keeper !! We needed a striker !! We used up our last loan option, signing a player in a position that wasn't a priority !! We should have left that for the striker we now don't have !!

But we used that up on the last day mate.

Wasn't I clear :)

Again - all on the last day when the club thought they had a striker lined up.

I presume you don't work in an industry with very tight dependencies. I do.

Leave everything till last minute and anything (and everything) can go wrong.

Forget the goalkeeper loan argument it's irrelevant. The problem was we failed to secure a striker early and I'm sure the club were fully aware of the priorities.

You are suggesting that Brighton had (after Krul) a "less than a day" window to secure a striker on loan which is frankly bollocks.

Yes they have ****ed up quite obviously - but not for the reason you suggest.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Nah, hold on.

You are making the same mistake as the senior management did at my company when everything went pear shaped a couple of years ago.

As I pointed out to them (and as now I will point out to you) mistakes happen all the time but if you make them early you can fix them quickly.

You have just sandwiched everything into a day - just as they have. Don't waste time on what happened in panic. Focus on what caused the panic.

Signing a goalkeeper on loan late ISN'T the problem. Not signing a striker permanently earlier is.

Cause and effect analysis....it's like my Lean Six Sigma course all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here