Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon Echo / Alexa music

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just started to read this thread.....it's like a foreign language. I have a Spotify account which I use as a secondary source of music but the rest has passed me by.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
"...end up listening to the radio with it as it's easier to speak the command than walk over to the radio and press buttons. Whilst cooking use the echo to set timers and also use it to convert weight units if the recipe is in cups or the like."

Made me smile this morning, thanks :thumbsup:

matey

Mar 16, 2014
I still haven't got my head around not owning anything if you stop subscribing vs access to as much music as you could ever wish to hear whenever you want, on any device, anywhere. Leasing or owning. I've had CDs in loft boxes I haven't touched in 10 years. My wife said when we moved last year why don't I get rid of them, I said because they're not really worth anything...so I kept them...clinging on to that time you had all your records or cds in a line on shelves. Hardly even worth having a digital collection these days.

You're right .. pick up CDs for less than 10p at car boot sales. Like you I had 100s of cds on several shelves covering a whole wall. A few years ago when I moved I transferred them from the plastic cases into plastic protectors which I bought a 1000 for about £2 in Malaysia. Now I get approx 80 cds in 6" of space in 3 of those plastic storage solution underbed 32ltr boxes.

matey

Mar 16, 2014
Having digital copies in ape/wav/flac is reasurring in so much that whatever happens technologically, the quality of the preserved files means that decent soundage will always be possible irrespective of subscriptions, internet access and audio hardware.

Just finished ripping all my cds in flac on portable hard disk.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've got an echo in the kitchen and whilst we do use it with Spotify also end up listening to the radio with it as it's easier to speak the command than walk over to the radio and press buttons. Whilst cooking use the echo to set timers and also use it to convert weight units if the recipe is in cups or the like. As I drive to work I've got my regular commute in it and ask what the traffic is like while I have my coffee. It's much more than music device.
Similar here. Just avoid Jeremy Vine (although you probably do anyway) as he keeps saying 'Alexa'. I think he's brain dead.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I play records.

I didn't have a huge vinyl collection, and a lot got nicked when my flat got burgled in '97, I then didn't replace them, sold the rest, MP3s had just started so I was ripping the CDs I had. Was only thinking the other day how I'd love to be sticking a bit of vinyl on, and see the kids faces of wtf are you doing Dad!?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I play records.

Bloody hipsters..

RecordHipster.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Well yes .. after the key word which is "Alexa" .. then the intents and utterances ..
I don't like that idea.

Incidentally, how many times has she been asked if she takes it up the a***? If they know the number of marriage proposals they must know this too.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Alexa is one of those things that perhaps you cannot see much use for until you have it, then you end up using it all the time.
She wakes me up in the morning, gives spoken reminders of things at the correct time, gives timer alerts, gives information , tells me a news summary when I come home, will tell me the weather forecast , converts imperial measures to metric, tells me how to spell difficult words .......and more . The functionality is increasing all the time .
I love it....

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Waiting for mine to arrive after ordering it on the cheap yesterday.

Mine arrived this morning, was thinking of getting it at £150, so jumped at it at £80. So far impressed, particularly how easy it was to link calendars to it, and it is a lot better than Siri in my opinion on first impressions. Better sound on the Echo than I'd thought too, I have a Play 1 and its not far off.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Must have missed that ! Well in that case I'm waiting for the homepod to be released in December :lolol:
Any ideas on pricing yet ?

Rumoured to be £350 (I think its been priced at $349 in the US).

Considering a Sonos Play 1 and a Dot costs you £240, Sonos Play 3 is £270, this is going to have to be quite something to grab the market at £350.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mine arrived this morning, was thinking of getting it at £150, so jumped at it at £80. So far impressed, particularly how easy it was to link calendars to it, and it is a lot better than Siri in my opinion on first impressions. Better sound on the Echo than I'd thought too, I have a Play 1 and its not far off.

I've got non-buyers remorse now!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
2 days in and already Alexa has turned into a 6th member of the household we couldn't do without! From, what the hell do we need one of those for, to how the hell did we manage without one of these!? It is just very simple and it works.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
2 days in and already Alexa has turned into a 6th member of the household we couldn't do without! From, what the hell do we need one of those for, to how the hell did we manage without one of these!? It is just very simple and it works.

Oh, sod off.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

What most impresses me is the amount she actually understands and then puts into action immediately

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here