Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IndyRef2...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Can't blame them at all. They are pro EU and anti-Tory, but run by Tories and being taken out of EU. Previously I was for them remaining part of the UK, but I can get why they would now want to leave.

One this for sure is David Cameron has made a total and utter mess of Britain.

Pro EU, around 1.1M voted Leave, and around 1.6 M voted Remain, hardly a landslide.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Having worked offshore out of Aberdeen since 1991 and seen the quite vile and racist anti-English sentiments of the SNP taken on board by many Scots I would be very happy to see the back of them. :bigwave:

Happily I stopped working offshore a couple of years back and have no intention of ever going back to Jock Land... :clap:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Wales: 3.1 million

Scotland: 5.3 million

Northern Ireland 1.8 million

England: 54.7 million

LEAVE won the EU referendum by 1,269,501 votes.
In Scotland 1,018,332 voted to leave the EU. In Northern Ireland 349,442 also voted to leave. Those combined votes enabled LEAVE to win the referendum. Without those Scottish and Northern Irish voters LEAVE would not have prevailed.
Wales as we know, voted almost 53% in favour of LEAVE.
Leaving the EU is far from an English decision inflicted on Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Every UK citizen in all regions, was given a vote, and significant numbers of them wanted out of the EU, including over a million Scots.

I think the Scots will vote to Remain, in the re run of this once in a lifetime vote.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] It is a democracy, but in most cases electoral decisions can be reversed at the next vote if folk don't like what they have. These decisions are permanent and require an unquestionable mandate- not one that might vary one week to the next.
And when we voted we knew it was a permanent decision, and couldn't be changed at the next election. At least we got to vote, unlike the way we ventured down the EU project.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pro EU, around 1.1M voted Leave, and around 1.6 M voted Remain, hardly a landslide.

Landslide or not, still pro. And definitely an absolute mess.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You sure your not eligible for citizenship of the PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF BRIGHTON AND HOVE, a Republic for Generation Y's?

Oh, I am eligible for that too (except the Generation Y bit).

I suspect it may be a little less likely that Brighton will secure independence, but never say never...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Why should we not have the chance to re-vote, the rules have changed - the Brexit decision has made a huge difference to everything. Scotland did the first big change against the Westminster political system with the decimation of Labour in 2015, we got rid if the Tories in 1997 (a generation after they (as Conservative and Unionist Party)had been the biggest party in Scotland). And as for Spain let's see its stance after the Catalonia independence vote in September. It may have no option but to start accepting its own break up, as the Basques will follow (that's democracy after all). Economically Scotland may not be strong but we are considerably more independent that the rest of the uk with our own church, legal system and education. My biggest gripe is that this is a vote for independence so why are the 1million or do ex-pats not allowed a vote!!!!!

These are valid points but what you have failed to mention is which currency would Scotland be using if a leave vote was successful?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No-one is putting forth a credible economic argument for scotland leaving the uk. They do 4 times the trade with england than the eu. Add to that the enormous amount we pay into their coffers, it's hard to see how they would cope. It was amusing to watch the snp chap interviewed from westminster last night squirming and evading the questions about their deficit. According to him, an independent scotland would become one of the richest countries in the eu. The only way that is conceivable is that the eu economy is so bad that even scotlands's looks good.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
These are valid points but what you have failed to mention is which currency would Scotland be using if a leave vote was successful?
I'm pretty certain that that decision hasn't been made yet - so the poster won't know.

Wait and see for now ?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Why facepalm ?

Bit rude isn't it ?

Why is it rude its ludicrous that Scotland would even consider leaving the UK with no currency the British pound will be gone for the Scots, and they will not be members of the EU so what is Sturgeon's big plan?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why is it rude its ludicrous that Scotland would even consider leaving the UK with no currency the British pound will be gone for the Scots, and they will not be members of the EU so what is Sturgeon's big plan?
Rude for just doing a facepalm symbol with no explanation of why the poster should know something which hasn't even been decided yet.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The real tragedy of a scotsit vote will be that in the olympics, we won't get any medals as whenever a medalist is interviewed, invariably they have an. Scottish accent. Still we can get over to Somalia and find some more mo Farrah's ...there must be hundreds of them.

...and will all the Scots have to be repatriated to Scotland...my daughter sent back to England?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The real tragedy of a scotsit vote will be that in the olympics, we won't get any medals as whenever a medalist is interviewed, invariably they have an. Scottish accent. Still we can get over to Somalia and find some more mo Farrah's ...there must be hundreds of them.

...and will all the Scots have to be repatriated to Scotland...my daughter sent back to England?

I'm surprised at you, when all I read was that Yorkshire had won all the medals. Or are you preparing us for when Yorkshire wants independence too?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Wee Krankie would DOUBLE the price of HAGGIS post independence and they would soon be the RICHEST Nation in Europe...

larus

Rude for just doing a facepalm symbol with no explanation of why the poster should know something which hasn't even been decided yet.

But it is a big question; not so much the 'currency' as they can use whatever currency they wish. The issue is who is the 'lender of last resort', i.e. the central bank. In the US, this is the Fed, in the Eu, it's the ECB and in the UK, it's the BoE. This is the bank that controls the 'currency' of the country, sets interest rates and can bail out it's national banks in times of crisis (i.e Northern Rock etc.). If the Scots vote for independence, the BoE won't be it's lender of last resort. Many confuse the word currency with the real issue, which is the Central Bank.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here