Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Premier and Championship Managers - 10 year perspective

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
It it says that there is one Serb managing in the PL. I guess that they think this must be Slaven Bilic as it says there are no Croats.

Not sure Slaven, the Croatian World Cup semi finalist will be happy with that.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It says that Hughton is Irish ... I would be interested to see what his passport says, same with Owen Coyle .

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
It says that Hughton is Irish ... I would be interested to see what his passport says, same with Owen Coyle .

They probably also think Mackail-Smith is Scottish and Kevin Pieterson is English.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I liked the conclusion that suggests it is not the famous foreign names blocking the chances of young home-grown managers, but rather hoary old dinosaurs from the UK - Big Sam, Mark Hughes, Pardew etc - who get multiple chances of managing in the top flight. No matter that they have not exactly succeeded in their previous jobs. Simplistic I know, but appeals to my own prejudices.

This is a debate that people feel strongly about, and it touches, unwittingly or not, on broader debates about the UK and who comes to work here. In trying to separate the emotion from the numbers, what have we learned?

British and Irish managers get about 63 per cent of the jobs overall.
But not the big gigs: 30 men have managed a top seven club and only nine of them are local.
Beating relegation is something of a local speciality: 79 per cent of the teams who finished just safe were Brit/Irish-bossed.
If you have a shocker at a club, you’re more likely to get another chance somewhere else if you are British or Irish.
On the merry-go-round, being British is a major advantage: of the 11 people who have managed three clubs or more, nine are British.
Young British Coaches, who make up some of the 17 Brit/Irish managers in the second tier, might be finding their routes to the top being blocked not just by foreigners but by their countrymen too. Ten of the local managers in the Championship have already had Premier League experience.
Ultimately, though, this debate comes down to feeling. If you agree that this is the Best League In The World, then it should be able to attract the best managers in the world.

Given how financially lucrative it is to stay in the Premier League, owners and shareholders would therefore do anything they could to stay in it, including appointing the best managers they can. Why would they not be rational actors?

The stats would suggest that quite often they believe that person to be British or Irish, and that local managers tend to get more chances to succeed, despite what Brits in the media might say.

If you actually want to win it though, unless you’re a retired angry Scotsman, you’re not going to be from these shores.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here