Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our first £1 mill player?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I thought we paid the big money for Gary Williams and Lawrenson was a make weight, either way it worked out well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nope definitely not. Gary Williams was £30k. The story goes that Mullery asked the team who was the best player they had played against that season and Lawro topped the poll so we went out and bought him. I can still remember the sense of shock at Brighton paying £100k for a player; football's gone mad!

Jul 7, 2003
Buying or selling

Buying?

Lawro was our first £100,000 fee I think
Maybank arrived a few months later for £175k
Gordon Smith and Michael Robinson were both £400k I believe
The Wardy/Ritchie/Birtles thing was a bit convoluted as values were attached to players rather than cash changing hands.
We must have had one of longest lived records for transfer fee paid, that;s for sure.

Fairly sure that the Ward / Richie / Birtles exchanges valued them at £500k each.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Nope definitely not. Gary Williams was £30k. The story goes that Mullery asked the team who was the best player they had played against that season and Lawro topped the poll so we went out and bought him. I can still remember the sense of shock at Brighton paying £100k for a player; football's gone mad!

100k was still a lot of dough at the time, Liverpool were after him too iirc but wouldn't match our offer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
100k was still a lot of dough at the time, Liverpool were after him too iirc but wouldn't match our offer.

So we got a couple (or was it three?) of seasons out of him and then Liverpool stumped up 900k for him. Anyone know how much Michael Robinson went to Liverpool for?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
So we got a couple (or was it three?) of seasons out of him and then Liverpool stumped up 900k for him. Anyone know how much Michael Robinson went to Liverpool for?
Again memory time but I think that was about 400k too, I remember Man City paying 750k for him from Preston, didn't work out for him and then he was sold to us for 400k

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I still think what these players are worth and what they earn is ridiculous for kicking a ball around.

But if people are prepared to pay for it so be it. I think a heart surgeon or even a nurse deserves more.

You're not going to pay £40 quid to watch a nurse work for 90 minutes though, are you?

tonytowner

Apr 12, 2010
Buying or selling

Buying?

The Wardy/Ritchie/Birtles thing was a bit convoluted as values were attached to players rather than cash changing hands.
We must have had one of longest lived records for transfer fee paid, that;s for sure.

Lawton £100k
Maybank £239k
Ritchie £500k

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Buying or selling

Buying?

Ward to Forest £400K, Birtles to ManU £1,250,000, Ritchie to Brighton £500K. Clough shafted both ManU and Brighton in one go.

Never liked him anyway...............

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Again memory time but I think that was about 400k too, I remember Man City paying 750k for him from Preston, didn't work out for him and then he was sold to us for 400k

I think we got £900K for Robinson too - it was a few years after his move to Man City and prices generally has risen. And, tbf, Liverpool were a big club and didn't shaft smaller clubs when they took one of their players - always paid a fair price.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You're not going to pay £40 quid to watch a nurse work for 90 minutes though, are you?

I'd pay to watch a top surgeon do some work. Fascinating stuff. I think medical students get to watch some for free. Well, "free" plus the thousands of pounds of tuition fees.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Amazed to read that Skalak is Millwall's biggest signing since they paid Derby £800k for striker Paul Goddard around THIRTY years ago.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Yes - Craig Johnston (Johnson)?) he thinks (!)

Btw - our builder thinks we'll struggle to stay up this season. So I had a bet with him.
If we finish below 15th, I have to wear a Palace top for a whole day - if we are 14th or above
he has to wear a Man U top for the same.

Don't led me down lads :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here