Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They are coming up with suggestions and it appears each one is being thrown out, leaving the government with less and less time. The longer the EU play around the more unfair it becomes for business on both sides of the channel who want to move forward. So far we have told European citizens where they stand and what is happening, but the EU hasn't done the same for us yet.

I don't think the EU is 'playing around' - they are responding to each of the government's ideas in turn. It's telling that David Davis has only spent 4 hours in negotiations this year, the government still want their unicorns, and the EU are there to remind them that unicorns don't exist.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
They are coming up with suggestions and it appears each one is being thrown out, leaving the government with less and less time. The longer the EU play around the more unfair it becomes for business on both sides of the channel who want to move forward. So far we have told European citizens where they stand and what is happening, but the EU hasn't done the same for us yet.

The EU has not changed its position in two years. "If you want x then you need to comply with a,b,c,d and e - Brexit means Brexit"

The problem is that some believed, and amazingly some still do, that they need us more than we need them. They have us over a barrel so we basically agree with their rules or no deal. People who say "this isn't how negotiation works" have no idea about the relationship here. Negotiation needs two sides who really want to make a deal and the EU are behaving exactly like we would have expected them to do if France had left.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So far we have told European citizens where they stand and what is happening, but the EU hasn't done the same for us yet.

That's true enough and The EU acknowledge this. Though from our side The EU still have concerns over the fee of £65 for people already residing here prior to Article 50 being invoked, the setting up of the independent watchdog to oversee it and help for vulnerable EU citizens such as the elderly or undocumented Roma gypsies for example (and everyone really likes Roma gypsies don't they) Interestingly the budget given to The Home Office of £170m means if everyone does apply and it all goes smoothly* they stand to actually make a profit on it.

The problem is here, and there are already mutterings of legal challenges particularly in the event of a no deal and no agreement on preferential future EU migration such as basically freedom of movement of workers which Settled Status may become, is that it costs £65 to get Settled Status if an EU national, but over £2000 to get Indefinite Leave To Remain if a non EEA citizen. In a no deal scenario and no agreement on preferential future EU migration, is it £65 for everyone or £2000 for everyone?............I'm sure one of the tabloids that regularly has front pages about immigration will point out the sexual orientation of whichever judge presides over that court case again though.

*:flypig:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's a shame that Leave are willing to see the UK go down the tubes just because they want to prove a point. Pride comes before a fall and all that.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well we know who to look to for the ignorance, and Pastas right arm probably has the brute force.

I know somebody much better for the job on both counts.I'm certain 'the Donald' would have pulled the plug on the EU long ago and told them to like it or lump it.Brute force and ignorance brought a North Korean leader to the conference table for the first time in 65 years.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know somebody much better for the job on both counts.I'm certain 'the Donald' would have pulled the plug on the EU long ago and told them to like it or lump it.Brute force and ignorance brought a North Korean leader to the conference table for the first time in 65 years.

No, it really didn't, you daft clown. The incumbent North Korean leader has been desperate to sit at that table for decades. :facepalm:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm not one to stick up for the EC but that's a bit of an unwarranted slur. It's not Juncker's job to come up with suggestions or solutions, he's the head of a bureaucracy that has to implement them. The suggestions need to come from the negotiating teams - particularly the UK's.

Well if it's not his job,why does he spend so much of his work time in press conferences telling the UK what to do about Brexit?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think the EU is 'playing around' - they are responding to each of the government's ideas in turn. It's telling that David Davis has only spent 4 hours in negotiations this year, the government still want their unicorns, and the EU are there to remind them that unicorns don't exist.

That's because Davis. (like Farage and Boris) are proven liars.

No assessments of Brexit's impact on the UK economy have been carried out by the Government, David Davis has admitted.

The Brexit Secretary said "forecasts" of the EU divorce's effect on different industrial sectors did not exist but that the benefit of such an assessment would be "near zero" due to the huge scale of change leaving the bloc is likely to cause.

God help us all.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No, it really didn't, you daft clown. The incumbent North Korean leader has been desperate to sit at that table for decades. :facepalm:

You are even more stupid than I thought!Why didn't Obama relieve the World of a major flashpoint?Why didn't Clinton?Why didn't the Bush tribe?Jimmy Carter?Richard Nixon?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You are even more stupid than I thought!Why didn't Obama relieve the World of a major flashpoint?Why didn't Clinton?Why didn't the Bush tribe?Jimmy Carter?Richard Nixon?

Thanks. Given your perma-wrongness on just about everything remotely complicated, it's heartening to hear your assessment of my intellect.

The previous US administrations decided against validating a sick, genocidal dictator. Trump, unsurprising to many, had a different view (but only after doing his utmost to actually bring about the 'major flashpoint' that you fear, with a few weeks of threats and childish insults).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not one to stick up for the EC but that's a bit of an unwarranted slur. It's not Juncker's job to come up with suggestions or solutions, he's the head of a bureaucracy that has to implement them. The suggestions need to come from the negotiating teams - particularly the UK's.
OK, let's say I accept that (even though he is loud in rubbishing proposals put forward by the UK) - now please tell me one suggestion/proposal that the EU negotiators have brought to the table.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Thanks. Given your perma-wrongness on just about everything remotely complicated, it's heartening to hear your assessment of my intellect.

The previous US administrations decided against validating a sick, genocidal dictator. Trump, unsurprising to many, had a different view (but only after doing his utmost to actually bring about the 'major flashpoint' that you fear, with a few weeks of threats and childish insults).

Funny how all the others managed to ignore an item in the defence budget that costs them over $2 billion dollars per annum,but loved Sadaam Hussein till he upset them.And Khadafi, Assad,Duvalier,Norriega etc,so validating dictators ain't a problem. Very poor understanding of world affairs.Must try to take off EU focussed specs.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The Leavers keep telling us we can do wonderful deals with the rest of the world once the EU let us go (despite the fact that we've always been free to do deal with the rest of the world)

Under WTO, this is what we're facing.

https://twitter.com/NickKehoe01/status/1013842353356988417

[tweet]1013842353356988417[/tweet]

A year later, nothing much has changed

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...es-eu-trade-quotas-talks-uk-wto-a8417156.html

But we all know that it's '"the easiest deal in history" because Liam Fox told us so!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/bre...nts-article-50-negotiations-united-kingdom_en

Quite a lot of reading there for you, if you get through it all, you are probably better informed than David Davis on the EU position.

and in the continued absence of the white paper, over 2 years on from the vote ours is still basically this:

Brexit.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The Leavers keep telling us we can do wonderful deals with the rest of the world once the EU let us go (despite the fact that we've always been free to do deal with the rest of the world)

Under WTO, this is what we're facing.

https://twitter.com/NickKehoe01/status/1013842353356988417

[tweet]1013842353356988417[/tweet]

A year later, nothing much has changed

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...es-eu-trade-quotas-talks-uk-wto-a8417156.html

:tantrum::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble::drama::rolleyes::bla::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:
Absolutely no mention of the other 100 or so food producing countries under EU tariffs we will be able to trade with.Don't you like the idea of food prices in the shops going down?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here