Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sorry. Put In A Decent Shift At Cricket. Still Don't Get It

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
My ex brother used to try and get me to watch that tripe all the time. I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a shitty stick then endure cricket.

A good example of why you should learn the difference between then and than. You want to gouge your eyes out with a shitty stick followed by watching a game of cricket. Hmmm. Whatever takes your fancy.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Well I love a day at the cricket. A game of cat and mouse with good company and good beer in the sun what can you not like about it.
I'm a member at Surrey, the terrace top bar in The Peter May Stand is one of the best places to watch cricket in the world.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
A good example of why you should learn the difference between then and than. You want to gouge your eyes out with a shitty stick followed by watching a game of cricket. Hmmm. Whatever takes your fancy.

That's autocorrect for you.
Still, at least I wouldn't be able to see the cricket after the shitty stick assault. Every cloud....

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
So. (as the smart kidz start every statement nowadays).

Went to Sussex v Aussies on Thursday.Put in a SIX hour shift til all me bets went down and Salt was out for 62. Game over.

Realise I'm a spoilt brat who lives just down the road, loads of far-flung fans would have been GAGGING to be there. My bad.

But even so...

Jeez it's a long and thankless day out! Where's the urgency? How can you miss multiple wickets while you queue for a pint? Why does the loud and lairy entitled Sussex Cricket cheap seat wanker think he's hard done by by being asked to leave the ground for loudly and lairily abusing the young kids having a fun day out whose only crime was/is to be Aussies having a fun day out? Why does everybody get encouraged to invade the pitch at half time only to be ordered to leave aforesaid pitch about five minutes later?

You can tell the longtime cricket wankers. They sit there doing the crossword and only look up when they've missed the hot wicket taken action and have been alerted by the increase in crowd noise.

Seriously, it appears to me to be a mild form of autism, akin to the strange men who take train numbers at the far end - away from all the people - end of Clapham Junction station.

What Gives?

Timmy was there? Sounds like his type of “banter”

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Just seeking a little bit of enlightenment my friend. Oh, and killing a bit of time til the World Cup starts. Not trying to trash cricket as a sport which obviously has millions of followers worldwide, so can't be all bad. But struggling to see the attractions of watching it live. Hoped somebody might offer some insight, beyond having some beers in the sun with yer mates. Sadly, not seen any such insight yet.

Football has mass popularity as it is a simple game to play, to watch and to understand. Certain people try to over-complicate football but you can't. It is easy watching and almost everyone has a decent idea of what is going on. The difference between football and cricket is similar to the difference between reading a lightweight, romantic novel or a heavyweight intellectual tome.
There is no middle ground with cricket. You can't dip in and out of it, like football. You are either hooked or you aren't. When you start playing and understanding the multiple and endless intricacies of it, it seeps into you, body and soul and you fall in love with the game. It takes a long time to play and its not for those easily bored. It is a game of stops and starts, of short sharp sprints and requires a lot of concentration. It is played with a very hard, small ball, that travels very fast and can do a lot of damage. It requires good hand/eye co-ordination, good balance and a certain amount of courage. It is a game played by individuals within a team environment and it is a game played side-on.
It is a statitician's delight. Endless figures and permutations. Ever changing, ever challenging. Music and Cricket are kindred spirits. Both rely on practise and timing and the end result can be a thing of beauty. They are both art forms. Many musicians are attracted to cricket. They feel the bond between the two.
You either ' get ' cricket or you don't. Its marmite. You have to develop a feel for the game. Its like a long, warm, loving relationship that you never tire of and look forward to. It can contain moments of intensity that barely any other sport can match. For me, it is the beautiful game.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Football has mass popularity as it is a simple game to play, to watch and to understand. Certain people try to over-complicate football but you can't. It is easy watching and almost everyone has a decent idea of what is going on. The difference between football and cricket is similar to the difference between reading a lightweight, romantic novel or a heavyweight intellectual tome.
There is no middle ground with cricket. You can't dip in and out of it, like football. You are either hooked or you aren't. When you start playing and understanding the multiple and endless intricacies of it, it seeps into you, body and soul and you fall in love with the game. It takes a long time to play and its not for those easily bored. It is a game of stops and starts, of short sharp sprints and requires a lot of concentration. It is played with a very hard, small ball, that travels very fast and can do a lot of damage. It requires good hand/eye co-ordination, good balance and a certain amount of courage. It is a game played by individuals within a team environment and it is a game played side-on.
It is a statitician's delight. Endless figures and permutations. Ever changing, ever challenging. Music and Cricket are kindred spirits. Both rely on practise and timing and the end result can be a thing of beauty. They are both art forms. Many musicians are attracted to cricket. They feel the bond between the two.
You either ' get ' cricket or you don't. Its marmite. You have to develop a feel for the game. Its like a long, warm, loving relationship that you never tire of and look forward to. It can contain moments of intensity that barely any other sport can match. For me, it is the beautiful game.

Wow! You're sharp for a Monday

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If you don't get cricket after yesterdays result at The grange there's a fair chance it's simply not for you and turn to fishing .

[yt]s4p7mIQ4x50[/yt]

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

It's also a game that seeps into you slowly with understanding the game.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Very well expressed Mo. As a lifelong cricket obsessive I don't have much to add.

As with a lot of sports, your comment about the "thing of beauty" is very significant. A well-timed cover drive, a neatly taken catch, a perfect ball bowled - all of these moments, and so many more besides, bring disproportional pleasure to the fully engaged (playing or spectating).

I played in a match with my 11 year old son for the first time yesterday and it was one of the best days of my life! A "Development XI" fixture where our team had 3 adults and 8 juniors (aged 11-15) were matched against similar opposition. We played 30 overs a side with tea between the innings. The youngsters did all the bowling and batting (being out/retiring and reappearing as suited) and the whole thing was brilliant. Moshe Jnr's first proper bowling figures of 5-3-6-3 more than made up for the disappointment of a duck followed by 2* with the bat... This format has a lot of advantages over senior league cricket (especially the ESCL 93 overs match) as a positive transition into adult cricket.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep. As I said, I really want to like it.

Went to the states and Canada with my Mum when I was 6 and stayed in Seattle for a bit with a friend of hers. The family were massive Seahawks fans so I got the whole NFL thing and still love it. At the time NOBODY in England liked American Football but I studied it like a geek and even did a school project on it when we were allowed to choose whatever subject we liked (got an A as the teacher said I'd massively increased his knowledge and interest in the game, I'd basically copied the best bits out of my favourite books but hey, plagiarism is best learned early).

So I'm not averse to learning and persevering with complicated sports. Actually, going back to the OP, I didn't really get into cricket until I was in my 20's and went out with a stunning posh bird from a ridiculously rich, North Yorkshire farming family. It was her who introduced me to the idea of watching a sport ALL DAY while getting leisurely pissed as opposed to just an hour or two. I was immediately hooked and once I got the whole gist of the game again (having ignored it since enjoying playing it at school all too briefly) I loved it for much more than just the drinking.

So much so that, many years later, my son has been playing cricket since he was about 3 and at a club (Sheffield Collegiate, Vaughn, Root etc) from 6. Has played for South Yorkshire for the past 3 seasons and last year opened the bowling for Yorkshire U10's B team. Cricket defines our life now (no holidays in the summer, driving hundreds of miles, loads of new friends and amazing days out at beautiful places) and I absolutely love it.

I'm going to give baseball a better try.

I guarantee if we propped up a bar for a couple of hours with a game on, I'd have you converted :thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Well put, and it is for this reason that the crowd at the cricket is very different to football, and although this is perhaps not the forum to say it, but as I get older, it's .... a crowd I prefer being part of over football tribalism.

You see a beautiful cover drive, fly across the outfield for four, and you instinctively applaud. It's a thing of beauty, and the automatic response it to congratulate the batsman. In football, once in a blue moon a crowd will applaud the opposition when they score, but in the main it's met with foul and abusive language and hand gestures.

If you only get excited by the tribalism of football, and are unable to step back and enjoy some of the aesthetic beauty of the sport, then you probably won't ever "get" cricket. That's not to say there isn't desire, rivalry, and at times sledging. In the stands though, everyone mixes, supports their teams, but largely does it in a decent, grown-up manner.

Finally, you won't "get" cricket, or indeed baseball, in just one visit. The enjoyment is in the detail that only comes to you over time. The appreciation is like a fine wine, you don't just glug your first ever bottle of red and pick up all the elements that everyone else has got excited about. Football is simple, straight forward and there for the masses, but other sports have a bit more complexities to them that are not immediately apparent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here