Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sorry. Put In A Decent Shift At Cricket. Still Don't Get It

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So. (as the smart kidz start every statement nowadays).

Went to Sussex v Aussies on Thursday.Put in a SIX hour shift til all me bets went down and Salt was out for 62. Game over.

Realise I'm a spoilt brat who lives just down the road, loads of far-flung fans would have been GAGGING to be there. My bad.

But even so...

Jeez it's a long and thankless day out! Where's the urgency? How can you miss multiple wickets while you queue for a pint? Why does the loud and lairy entitled Sussex Cricket cheap seat wanker think he's hard done by by being asked to leave the ground for loudly and lairily abusing the young kids having a fun day out whose only crime was/is to be Aussies having a fun day out? Why does everybody get encouraged to invade the pitch at half time only to be ordered to leave aforesaid pitch about five minutes later?

You can tell the longtime cricket wankers. They sit there doing the crossword and only look up when they've missed the hot wicket taken action and have been alerted by the increase in crowd noise.

Seriously, it appears to me to be a mild form of autism, akin to the strange men who take train numbers at the far end - away from all the people - end of Clapham Junction station.

What Gives?

You won’t be missed

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I went to Thursday's game, and as with you it was my first time at a 'proper' cricket ground.. I enjoyed it and will be going back, hopefully to a 20/20 next time.
Having grown up near Lancing Manor, I will say that sitting on the grass watching the local side play is a bloody site more comfortable though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Went to Sussex v Aussies on Thursday.Put in a SIX hour shift til all me bets went down and Salt was out for 62. Game over.

Realise I'm a spoilt brat who lives just down the road, loads of far-flung fans would have been GAGGING to be there. My bad.

But even so...

Jeez it's a long and thankless day out! Where's the urgency? How can you miss multiple wickets while you queue for a pint? Why does the loud and lairy entitled Sussex Cricket cheap seat wanker think he's hard done by by being asked to leave the ground for loudly and lairily abusing the young kids having a fun day out whose only crime was/is to be Aussies having a fun day out? Why does everybody get encouraged to invade the pitch at half time only to be ordered to leave aforesaid pitch about five minutes later?

You can tell the longtime cricket wankers. They sit there doing the crossword and only look up when they've missed the hot wicket taken action and have been alerted by the increase in crowd noise.

Seriously, it appears to me to be a mild form of autism, akin to the strange men who take train numbers at the far end - away from all the people - end of Clapham Junction station.

What Gives?

Tried Twenty20 a couple of times now and that I can just about tollerate (but not enjoy) the idea of a one-day or worst still, a test, makes me shiver with dread. Just too dull for me. Would rather watch paint dry.

To all those who need this excuse to drink in the sun all summer.... good luck and enjoy, but I'll stay sober, un-burnt and active doing something else thanks.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
For those who don't like cricket, just tune in to Test Match Special on BBC Radio 4 Long Wave and you will be cured. Broadcasting at its best, shipping forecast an added bonus. You don't even have to care about the thwack of leather on willow, you will be entertained for up to 5 days with gentlemanly reminiscences and banter between old friends who you have never known....

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
For those who don't like cricket, just tune in to Test Match Special on BBC Radio 4 Long Wave and you will be cured. Broadcasting at its best, shipping forecast an added bonus. You don't even have to care about the thwack of leather on willow, you will be entertained for up to 5 days with gentlemanly reminiscences and banter between old friends who you have never known....

To be honest I find test cricket much more enjoyable on the radio than to watch

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My ex brother used to try and get me to watch that tripe all the time. I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a shitty stick then endure cricket.

Each to his own! Just don't try to get me to go and watch tennis - or worse still golf Golf!.....ffs.....putting a little ball on the ground, hitting it with a stick and walking after it. And some people even pay to stand there and watch player after player walking past after their balls..........:
facepalm:

P.S. Also agree with previous posters - TMS is bloody wonderful!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

But even so...

What Gives?

I saw you there. You were having a whale of a time.

Seriously, though - it's one thing ragging the Aussies about sandpaper (in fact, it should be encouraged), but it was appallingly done by the seriously unfunny prize dickheads in the NE corner on Thursday.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Each to his own! Just don't try to get me to go and watch tennis - or worse still golf Golf!.....ffs.....putting a little ball on the ground, hitting it with a stick and walking after it. And some people even pay to stand there and watch player after player walking past after their balls..........:
facepalm:

P.S. Also agree with previous posters - TMS is bloody wonderful!

Each to their own indeed. I love most sport and have really tried to enjoy watching any of it over the years. Some just don't work for me though:

Rugby (big men running into each other interspersed with an hour of reviews when something potentially interesting happens)

Basketball (giants running from one end of a tiny court to another and scoring/not scoring every minute)

Ice Hockey (can't see the ball/puck thing so totally pointless apart from fighting)

Baseball (rounders but really complicated & with hours of man throwing ball into other man's glove with nothing happening) I REALLY want to like Baseball actually, but I don't get it.

Swimming (it's swimming)

Hockey (it's got goals and stuff so it should be interesting but zzzzz, bird's hockey not so much though for obvious sad perving reasons)

Golf, Tennis, F1 etc I'm not that into but I'll watch all the big tournaments/races. Absolutely love the Ryder Cup and The Open, Wimbledon, British Grand Prix....

So I sort of get it that people don't like cricket as I don't like certain sports. Trouble is, all those people are dead to me.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I don't get it either. I suppose, to be fair, that I was ruined by my first and only experience of county cricket being Boycott carrying his bat at Hove in a Sunday League game. I have never spent a duller Sunday. Not old enough for drinking.

The second attempt was a day at a test match. I spent it leisurely getting drunk with some friends while dressed as a cow. It was great and I believe there was some cricket being played as well.

Formula 1? I love motor sport but I have never loved F1. I used to go to the British Grand Prix but did a lap chart to keep myself entertained.

Rugby is another odd one. I have been to one Autumn test and, as I was settling down to watch, all the Rugby lovers donned headphones so they could listen to the referee and understand what was going on. Really?

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
It's better than watching Basketball, A tall bloke runs along and drops a ball through a hoop then another tall bloke in a different colour vest does the same thing 10 seconds later at the other end....ad infinitum. Certainly gets the girls screaming for some reason.

I don't know why they don't start every game at 99-ALL and just play for 5 minutes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bowls is old man's marbles.

Whereas Pétanque/Boules is a great game to play and to watch and there are some young French kids who are really good at it. Watching old French guys playing, especially when they “tir” a boule close to the jack (cochonette) is good entertainment.

Much more fun than cricket imo.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Beer & Sunshine innit.

Cricket is boring but a good excuse to catch up with mates in the sunshine.

Also quite good fun if the Aussies are losing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
Whereas Pétanque/Boules is a great game to play and to watch and there are some young French kids who are really good at it. Watching old French guys playing, especially when they “tir” a boule close to the jack (cochonette) is good entertainment.

Much more fun than cricket imo.

On a stopover in a French hotel a few years ago we saw done petanque on the TV. Fascinating and highly skilled.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

But even so...

What Gives?

Hmmm,..... you appear to have a lucid recollection of all the days events, which suggests you were doing it wrong.
Couldnt you find the pimms tent?

To appreciate cricket I think you need to have played it yourself. I don't think it's the sort of sport you can suddenly just start watching.

When I was young just about everyone played cricket in the summer term at school but as I understand it this doesn't happen in most schools these days. So by learning at school I was interested enough to go on to play village cricket and understand the game even though I wasn't good enough to play at any reasonable level.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here