Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Official NFL 2018 Thread

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
NFL draft starts tonight and goes on to Saturday. Giants have the number 2 pick for the first time since 2004, with the Browns getting number 1 pick. 3 players the Giants are probably looking at are RB Saquon Barkley of Penn State, QB Sam Darnold of USC and DE Bradley Chubb of NC State. Think we'll be after a QB as a priority as Eli Manning is now the third oldest starting QB on the 2018 season.

Can’t believe the Browns are actually going to pass on Barkley !! With two picks in the first 4 they could get him and then still pick up a QB at 4.

Hoping Fitzpatrick will fall to Skins at 13

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Can’t believe the Browns are actually going to pass on Barkley !! With two picks in the first 4 they could get him and then still pick up a QB at 4.

Hoping Fitzpatrick will fall to Skins at 13

Sadly Fitz won't make it out of the top 10. Will be some good talent at 13 I think Vea or Payne are in the running for the Skins if they think they can get a good RB in the 2nd.

Really looking forward to this draft the potential for further trades is intriguing. I expect the Bills to move further up and the Pats could be a sneaky mover to secure Brady's successor. Should be a great night/morning!

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Sadly Fitz won't make it out of the top 10. Will be some good talent at 13 I think Vea or Payne are in the running for the Skins if they think they can get a good RB in the 2nd.

Really looking forward to this draft the potential for further trades is intriguing. I expect the Bills to move further up and the Pats could be a sneaky mover to secure Brady's successor. Should be a great night/morning!

Doubtful but always hope a couple of teams trade up for a QB allowing someone to fall, didn’t expect to get Allen last year.

Some decent RB talent in Rd 2 with Jones/Penny/Chubb/Michel ..... don’t think Guice will fall as low as pick 44 so be one of those others I think they will target

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
No first round draft pick for the Texans tonight, but we'll commiserate with the easiest regular season schedule according to NFL.com.

Assuming everyone stays fit (I know...big assumption), the defense is looking sweet, but need some strengthening in the OL to protect Watson.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
NFL Draft Round 1 - as 10pm EST

ROUND 1
1 CLE QB-Mayfield
2 NYG RB-Barkley
3 NYJ QB-Darnold
4 CLE CB-D.Ward
5 DEN DE-B.Chubb
6 IND OG-Q.Nelson
7 BUF QB-J.Allen
8 CHI LB-R.Smith
9 SF OT-McGlinchey
10 AZ QB-Rosen
11 MIA DB-Fitzpatrick
12 TB DT-Vea
13 WAS DT-Payne
14 NO DE-Davenport

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Not sure about Mayfield @1. From the very little footage I have seen I would have taken Josh Rosen. Happy with Smith for the bears.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Had assumed Seattle would just trade our first round pick for a couple in the second or third rounds, so rather baffled to see we traded #18 away only to then pick up #27 in a trade back, and to then go for a RB who wasn't in anyone's predictions for who we might choose.

Well, I guess it's a position we've struggled to fill since Marshawn Lynch went, so...

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Had assumed Seattle would just trade our first round pick for a couple in the second or third rounds, so rather baffled to see we traded #18 away only to then pick up #27 in a trade back, and to then go for a RB who wasn't in anyone's predictions for who we might choose.

Well, I guess it's a position we've struggled to fill since Marshawn Lynch went, so...

Rashaad Penny is a beast...as an SDSU fan you have an absolute gem of a RB coming to the PNW!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Not sure about Mayfield @1. From the very little footage I have seen I would have taken Josh Rosen. Happy with Smith for the bears.

Me neither tbh. If we were 100% sold on him, we could've picked him up at #4 & taken someone else (Barkley?) at #1. Not unhappy with Mayfield & Ward, but also a bit underwhelmed considering all the better players they had sitting there ready to be picked.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Me neither tbh. If we were 100% sold on him, we could've picked him up at #4 & taken someone else (Barkley?) at #1. Not unhappy with Mayfield & Ward, but also a bit underwhelmed considering all the better players they had sitting there ready to be picked.

Add them to that growing list of players the Browns have passed on. Only consilation is it feels like they have some stratagy and plan to start winning some games, and that may bring some confidence and believe into a squad/team that is used to losing.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Looking at the draft does it not feel like Browns could have gone Barkley at 1 and still got Mayfield at 4.

I was thinking they should have picked Barkley at 1 if they wanted Josh Allen but didn’t want to risk Mayfield not being there at 4 if he the guy they wanted. Many suspected the Giants might go for Darnold if he was available and the Jets had been keen on Mayfield.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Rosen looks like he has the best mechanics to me but he's had multiple concussions and there's concerns over his character and leadership. Mayfield has the highest floor for me, Darnold's turnovers in college were a big worry & Allen is a project.

I really like Mayfield and felt he was being undervalued through the process. Height is the concern.

Intrigued by Lamar Jackson, could be a steal at 32 but will need a year or two to sit imo.

Looking at the draft does it not feel like Browns could have gone Barkley at 1 and still got Mayfield at 4.
That's exactly my thinking and what I said to my brother this morning. His feeling is that you can't draft a running back at #1 and Mayfield might not of been there at #4. I said he probably would of still been available at #4.
Did you see the Browns fan's reaction to the pick? Half or them were standing there stunned by it.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think Barkley may be being overrated in this process as well. The Giants have got themselves a big play back who is a great receiver, like a more atheletic version of Kamara. What they haven't got is a convincing runner between the tackles who gets the hard yards. That's without even discussing the value of RB in comparison to other positions. Time will tell though and that's the fun of the process.

Steeler nation is in flames about Terrell Edmunds at 28. Fit our profile on defence though. Hard hitter, great athelete, raw as hell.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That's exactly my thinking and what I said to my brother this morning. His feeling is that you can't draft a running back at #1 and Mayfield might not of been there at #4. I said he probably would of still been available at #4.
Did you see the Browns fan's reaction to the pick? Half or them were standing there stunned by it.

If Browns want to grab a running back, there's plenty of good ones in this draft. Guice is still on the board. I think having been burned by so many QB's in recent times they fell in love with Mayfield as the overall safest prospect and as a character/ leadership guy.

Denzel Ward was a big reach at 4 as well.

If Browns want to grab a running back, there's plenty of good ones in this draft. Guice is still on the board. I think having been burned by so many QB's in recent times they fell in love with Mayfield as the overall safest prospect and as a character/ leadership guy.

Denzel Ward was a big reach at 4 as well.
Hopefully they can turn their awful run of QB bad picks around with Mayfield. He'll need protection that's for sure.
To me, the Denzel Ward pick felt like a hometown boy kind of pick something along the lines of Brady Quinn. Would he of been available in round 2 if the Browns had not picked him? I suppose it's all conjecture at this point.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here