Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Driving Lessons

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Just had my 5th driving lesson, and I'm slowly easing into it. Actually I think I'm doing alright if I do say so myself.

I'm 32 and have never wanted/needed to drive, but the lovely girlfriend is forcing me so I can share long drives (fair enough - and I've avoided it for this long!).

Anyone else start late? Any tips? I do feel a bit "old dog new tricks" to be honest but yeah I think I'm doing ok.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I didn't pass my test until I was 30, took me a fair few lessons (more than I would have taken if I were 17 I'm sure) but eventually it just 'clicked'. I would say just take your time and as long as you have a decent instructor they will be able to accurately judge when you are ready to take your test.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I just passed last year aged 40!! It was easy enough I block booked lessons for around £800 passed on the 2nd test now I wish I’d done it years ago but such is life and like you didn’t really need or want to drive when I was younger

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I failed 3 times before passing finally at the age of 19. Have never looked back. Always loved the freedom

My lad of 15 is now already taking professional lessons from a driving instructor. He does this at the south of england showground and has according to the instructor is a natural. I love watching him drive off with a big smile on his face so you are never too old or young to learn !

Oh and try not to crash is my advise....

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
My lad of 15 is now already taking professional lessons from a driving instructor. He does this at the south of england showground and has according to the instructor is a natural. I love watching him drive off with a big smile on his face so you are never too old or young to learn !

Babies and infants may at least need a booster seat :wink:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
A friend of mine did all his lessons when he was 17, failed the test then didn't drive again until nearly 20 years later. Had 2 or 3 refresher lessons then passed first (second!) time. This kind of thing keeps me optimistic!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I got my motorcycle licence in Australia as an 18 year old. Then again in the UK 8 years ago.

Got my car licence 3 years ago, roughly 20 years after my (first) bike licence. Block booked the lessons, initially struggled with converting from having brakes/throttle/clutch operated by hand to having them operated by foot, but to be honest it didn't take too long and the test itself, once it happened, wasn't too bad.

Only advice I'd have is to make sure that you're last few lessons are heavily focussed on doing mock-tests in the area where the real tests are done. My instructor did that for me, and it meant I knew in advance all the places that could be tricky and where the testers like to do certain things.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Same situation as you here, but the other way round - getting my wife to drive (just booked her test). More for family piss ups that long drives though - I love long drives!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Yeah I've got to get motoring. A driverless pair of parents won't make holidaying for bubba Meade easy. So I better get on with it. I reckon i'll be alright, even starting at 42, but feel that the daily tiredness of dadding it up might have a slight impact.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think I was 36 when I passed (second time) and ten years on I barely drive at all. Much prefer train for longer journeys and walking short ones. Admittedly it’s the ones somewhere in the middle that can be a bit of a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Just had my 5th driving lesson, and I'm slowly easing into it. Actually I think I'm doing alright if I do say so myself.

I'm 32 and have never wanted/needed to drive, but the lovely girlfriend is forcing me so I can share long drives (fair enough - and I've avoided it for this long!).

Anyone else start late? Any tips? I do feel a bit "old dog new tricks" to be honest but yeah I think I'm doing ok.

Yep - I passed 18 months ago at 45, probably had about 50 hours of lessons in total, probably didn't need quite that many but I was doing 2x2 per week and just carried on while waiting for my first, and then second, test. My best tip is to not beat yourself up about mistakes you make as you go along, it'll come together slowly. Another thing, enjoy it! I began to look forward to my 2 hours with the instructor, we got on well and it became a bit of a social.

It'll probably take you more hours than an average 17 year old but you WILL be a better driver!

Jimmy Grimble

I'm still surprised I passed my test first time. Nerves got the better of me on the reverse round a corner, I was revving a ridiculous amount. The examiner also gave me the impression I had messed up the emergency stop although it may have just been his 'test demeanour'. I think it was his demeanour that left me feeling as though I'd failed by the end.

Did make me wonder if they have certain targets they need to meet each week/month in terms of fail/pass rate. My test was on the last day of the month...

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Cor there's some late ones on here, although I certainly hope it doesn't take 50 lessons [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION] :moo:

I do take quite some comfort in the fact that I know some absolute idiot arsehats who can drive, and how they passed their tests I don't know - as I'm sure some of they guys I work with can barely tie their shoelaces

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Used to be a driving instructor. Oldest person I taught was a woman of 68. Plenty of people in their, let's just say 'adult' years learn to drive, just enjoy it......and treat everyone on the road around you like they are idiots and they are going to do something stupid, that way you will be prepared for anything

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I passed about 3 months ago at 29, second time.
Amazes me how many people get up your arse, when either sticking to the speed limit or, for example I'm overtaking on a27 in right hand lane and maybe hit 75 and people behind me must be going 85-90 easily, is that legal?
I like to leave atleast a 2 second gap between me and the car infront.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I passed about 3 months ago at 29, second time.
Amazes me how many people get up your arse, when either sticking to the speed limit or, for example I'm overtaking on a27 in right hand lane and maybe hit 75 and people behind me must be going 85-90 easily, is that legal?
I hope that's not a serious question?!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Cor there's some late ones on here, although I certainly hope it doesn't take 50 lessons [MENTION=12706]mikeyjh[/MENTION] :moo:

I do take quite some comfort in the fact that I know some absolute idiot arsehats who can drive, and how they passed their tests I don't know - as I'm sure some of they guys I work with can barely tie their shoelaces

Well, the average number of hours in the car for someone to pass their test is 67, 45 with instructor, 22 without. The older you are, the more this goes up!

One thing I would consider is that you will start your lessons, then at some point the instructor should judge that you're ready to book your test. They can be very busy in SE England so this may take a while, if you happen to fail then it may be another couple of months and if you choose to continue regular lessons (surely you would) then the number of hours will rack up. Apart from the cost, it's no bad thing to take more hours, it'll probably make you a better driver which is the important thing, right?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Well, the average number of hours in the car for someone to pass their test is 67, 45 with instructor, 22 without. The older you are, the more this goes up!

One thing I would consider is that you will start your lessons, then at some point the instructor should judge that you're ready to book your test. They can be very busy in SE England so this may take a while, if you happen to fail then it may be another couple of months and if you choose to continue regular lessons (surely you would) then the number of hours will rack up. Apart from the cost, it's no bad thing to take more hours, it'll probably make you a better driver which is the important thing, right?

From memory, I took roughly 20 hours. Two sets of 10 hours pre-booked, but was probably ready for the test after 14 hours. The last pair of 2 hour lessons to take me up to 18 hours were both mock-tests, and then the final 2 hours were used on the day of the test. The advantage I had was that I already knew all about clutch bite points and, more importantly, good road-sense, so the only real difficulty I had initially was reprogramming my brain from motorcycle controls to car controls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here