Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings vs Birmingham

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Bong wasn't that bad tonight, but Bruno had a shocker considering his usual high standards. It was his wayward passing that left us exposed and players out of position. You could blame the Brummies for their pressing which forced errors and not slag off our own players, but that's not the NSC way:smile:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Stockdale - 6. Sound keeping. Noting he could have been faulted for except for his inability in controlling the ball after the whistle.

Bruno - 5. Poor game for Bruno. Gave the ball away far too much.

Duffy - 8. Solid performance. His ability to maintain possession when defending long balls was top class. Wasn't at fault for the Birmingham goal, it was just a brilliant cross and leap.

Dunk - 9. Brilliant. Pretty much had a perfect game. Blocked everything, always positioned well, didn't ever look under pressure.
Bong 5 Looked poor. His crossing was awful, his link up play was dire. Was partly to blame for conceding the goal by allowing the Birmingham player a free run into the box which created the goal. Would rather see Pocognoli starting.

Skalak - 6. I'm starting to have my doubts about Skalak. He can cross the ball well and hits the ball as sweetly as anyone, but other than that, he really doesn't have a lot to his game. He's too predictable for defenders. You just know he's not going to even try beating his man. I prefer wingers with the ability to run with the ball.

Sidwell - 6. Okay game. Didn't win enough 2nd balls. Distribution was very Hammondesque.

Stephens - 6. Was pretty average. Too slow on the ball at times. Got caught in possession which resulted in the Birmingham goal. Not sure he would cut it in the Prem. Starting to think he's overrated.

Knockaert - 7. His work rate is phenomenal, he doesn't stop running. At times he looked as if he was trying too hard. Showed some very classy touches. He should've squared a pass rather than shooting in the opening minutes after skinning his defender. Took the goal beautifully. I think he's coming back to his psychological level of match sharpness more and more. I'm sure he'll be improving game by game as we saw today.

Murray - 8. Never had any decent service. Showed some real top class moments with his first touch, for example, controlling a drilled long range pass with his chest, then flicking the ball past the defender with his left foot and hitting it on the turn with his right foot. The shot was blocked but it was pure class how he made that chance out of nothing. An example of the class we have upfront. The goal just summed up how important Murray is for us.

Baldock - 6. A lot of running, not much else. I doubt he'll be much of a force in the Prem. Hopefully, we'll sign a striker in January who can play his role better.

March - 9. Everything he did was effective. Always looking to hit the byline and put in crosses. The Birmingham defenders looked terrified every time he got the ball. His poise, balance and coolness on the ball shows potential of a great player to be.

Hemed - 6. Touched it once (i think)

Norwood - 7. Played well, looks for the positive pass. I think he should start more often.

Last edited:

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Stockdale - 6. Sound keeping. Noting he could have been faulted for except for his inability in controlling the ball after the whistle.

Bruno - 5. Poor game for Bruno. Gave the ball away far too much.

Duffy - 8. Solid performance. His ability to maintain possession when defending long balls was top class. Wasn't at fault for the Birmingham goal, it was just a brilliant cross and leap.

Dunk - 9. Brilliant. Pretty much had a perfect game. Blocked everything, always positioned well, didn't ever look under pressure.
Bong 5 Looked poor. His crossing was awful, his link up play was dire. Was partly to blame for conceding the goal by allowing the Birmingham player a free run into the box which created the goal. Would rather see Pocognoli starting.

Skalak - 6. I'm starting to have my doubts about Skalak. He can cross the ball well and hits the ball as sweetly as anyone, but other than that, he really doesn't have a lot to his game. He's too predictable for defenders. You just know he's not going to even try beating his man. I prefer wingers with the ability to run with the ball.

Sidwell - 6. Okay game. Didn't win enough 2nd balls. Distribution was very Hammondesque.

Stephens - 6. Was pretty average. Too slow on the ball at times. Got caught in possession which resulted in the Birmingham goal. Not sure he would cut it in the Prem. Starting to think he's overrated.

Knockaert - 7. His work rate is phenomenal, he doesn't stop running. At times he looked as if he was trying too hard. Showed some very classy touches. He should've squared a pass rather than shooting in the opening minutes after skinning his defender. Took the goal beautifully. I think he's coming back to his psychological level of match sharpness more and more. I'm sure he'll be improving game by game as we saw today.

Murray - 8. Never had any decent service. Showed some real top class moments with his first touch, for example, controlling a drilled long range pass with his chest then flicking the ball past the defender with his left foot and then hitting it on the turn with his right foot. The shot was blocked but it was pure class how he made that chance out of nothing. An example of the class we have upfront. The goal just summed up how important Murray is for us.

Baldock - 6. A lot of running, not much else. I doubt he'll be much of a force in the Prem. Hopefully, we'll sign a striker in January who can play his role better.

March - 9. Everything he did was effective. Always looking to hit the byline and put in crosses. The Birmingham defenders looked terrified every time he got the ball. His poise, balance and coolness on the ball shows potential of a great player to be.

Hemed - 6. Touched it once (i think)

Norwood - 7. Played well, looks for the positive pass. I think he should start more often.

Absolutely agree with these scores and comments.

Few weaknesses in the side and the sight of Solly picking up where he left off last season was great as we're still too reliant on moments of magic from Knocky.

With a little luck with injuries and more cover for Murray/Baldock I really think we can do it this season. It would help if Kayal and Rosenior got back to full fitness too.

We've not played well the last few matches but are still grinding out results and look at our goal difference (thanks to Glenn!). Bet Newcastle never thought anyone could keep up with them this long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockdale - 6. Quiet game. Did what he had to do well.
Bruno - 6. Did nothing wrong but is starting to look like he needs a rest to get him back to his best.
Duffy - 6. Uncharacteristic mistakes tonight.
Dunk - 8. Immense. Unflappable. Best defender in the championship and I think he would walk into most premier league teams. MOM.
Bong - 7. Very average until the introduction of March then he had a job to do with March and did it well.

Skalak - 6. Not his day today. I think with March and Murphy fit he will be our 4th choice winger.
Sidwell - 7.
Stephens - 6. Going through a slight dip in form at the moment. I suspect with January approaching he may have transferwindowitis.
Knockert - 7. Been out for form since around the Norwich game but CH again proves there is value in allowing players to play their way back into form. Hopefully that is Knockert's corner turned. I think he might tear QPR a new ********.

Murray - 8. Anonymous for 90mims but I've given him 2 extra points for as he did do for the club.
Baldock - 6. Not his night tonight. It would be nice to have some competition for his position.

March - 8. Changed the game and seemed to bring something extra out of Bong.
Hemed - 6. Don't recall him doing much.
Norwood - 7. I'm not convinced by him yet but he undoubtedly played a big part in getting us playing once he came on. He seemed to get a lot of the ball and made things happen.

Pretty much how I saw it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dale Stephens lost the ball four or five times, too much for an attacking midfielder and miles too often for a defensive midfielder, where getting dispossessed more than once a game is too much. Same thing happened at home to Preston NE and Villa as well. Rohan Ince has a better record that that.

Answer might be to play Norwood as the defensive midfielder and push Dale Stephens further forward?

Our forwards and non-scoring midfielders do not really look dangerous away from home.

Brilliantly worked first goal. Birmingham should really have prevented it though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just home through the fog........

Stockdale - 7. Thought he wasn't going to play, was really struggling in the warm up. Great save, good distribution.

Bruno - 6. Not at his best.

Dunk - 9. MOM for me. Immense, barely put a foot wrong

Duffy - 7. Mostly solid but looked at fault for their goal and gave the ball away too much

Bong - 6.5. Mostly ok but prefer Pognog.

Sidwell - 7. Usual solid self, sone good tackles

Stephens - 6.5. Like Bruno, not at his best.

Knockaert - 7.5. Wasn't that great for 60 mins, too selfish, but he is a matchwinner. Great goal.

Skalak - 7. Thought he was OK, good defensively too.

Murray - 7.5. Didn't get a lot of service, was moaning a lot, particularly at AK. Great finish.

Baldock - 6. Not up to his usual standards.

March - 8.5. Looked very, very good. Changed the game

Hemed - 6. Didn't contribute much

Norwood - 8. Changed the game along with March with some incisive passing and quick moving of the ball

Hughton -9. Right subs at the right time, and presumably told the team to press for a winner. Top man.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I am happy. I'm just highlighting how flawed your ratings are. Duffy was fine, but there's no way he deserved the best rating of our defenders today when his mistakes cost us a) a goal, yet again, and b) a clear cut opportunity for them which should've put them 1-0 up within the first few minutes.
Really?
When was this?
I thought he had been one of our best players recently.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I give my MOM to Tomer Hemed. Hardly tocuhed the ball but got a ''goal assist '' by blocking the defender to let Murray get the header in for the goal. - Well done Tomer !

To be honest it was quite a laboured performance by everyone except Solly when he came on. Thought Bong was decent tonight. Not had the best of seasons so far but causes defences problems even from the full back position

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
was watching on Sky too

Stockdale - 7 - Good game. I was so concerned when I thought he was injured
Bruno - 6 - nothing quite cane off for him going forward
Duffy - 7 - good, but should have made it harder for the goal
Dunk - 8 - exceptional. Again. That pass for Baldock was sumptuous. MOTM
Bong - 7 - looked better when March came on
Knockaert - 8 - significantly better when March stretched them on the other flank. Poor until they point. Goal and an assist
Stephens - 5 - very poor throughout . Gave the ball away leading to the goal and the chance where they hit the post. Surprised he didn't go off instead of ...
Sidwell - 7 - typical sidwell. Relished the battle with Davies.
Skalak - 5 - very poor bar the set pieces
Murray - 7 - a pain in the arse as ever. Nothing dropped for him for 94 minutes and then, bam
Baldock - 5 - anonymous, but I appreciate I watched it on sky and therefore probably missed the running he was doing off screen

Subs:

Norwood - 6
Hemed - 5
March - 8 - oh yes! Lovely to have you back Solly. Knockeart and March are going to tear defences a new one.

you're a tough marker!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stockade 7 one good save
Bruno 6 poor by his standards both positional lynne and with the ball
Duffy 7 referee was aware of Jutkiewitz constantly backing-in-. The crowd weren't and became increasingly frustrated! At fault for the goal but otherwise excellent
Dunk 7 lucky to get away with some very clear use of arms to wrestle opponents off the ball. In poor personal form in recent games but very impressive game management seeing him through. Really liking the player he has become
Bong 6 surprised he got the nod over Pocognoli but did well enough against Stewart in particular and for the most part kept the crosses down. Played well going forward
Stephens 6 man marked in central midfield so went wide to get the ball to try and contribute going forward. More teams will try the tactic of putting a man on him and it partly worked here had he not had the nous to try to counter it. Lost Jutkiewitz early when they hit the post and with Sidwell was pressured and often overrun. Good tactics by Birmingham
Sidwell 6 deeper lying because they pressed high and less able to exert influence.
Knockaert 7 should have crossed after nutmeg ginger Grounds in the first half. Excellent goal and good cross for the second. On his way back. Really pleased.
Skalak 6 harried and chased to good if often un-noticed effect. Good game to cover Bong. Limited going forward as a result
Baldock 6 chased well and kept their defence occupied stopping Shawcross and Morrison getting forward
Murray 7 did a good job defensively and very good goal
Subs:
Norwood 7 did well moving the ball forward and contributing to our dominating the game in the final 10 minutes
Hemed 6 gave us something different to help tie them back and allow us to ramp up the pressure
March 8 (mom) turned the match with his turns and accurate crossing

Manager watch: Zola 4 gave us the game with poor substitutions of players he didn't know and trying to see the game out by defending when they were winning it by going forward
Hughton 7 set up overly defensively like Cardiff but good early substitutions and seized the initiative offered by his counterpart.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I thought Murray was woeful until he scored.

If I was manager, he'd have been replaced after about an hour.

Guess it's lucky CH is manager, not me :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Murray was woeful until he scored.

If I was manager, he'd have been replaced after about an hour.

Guess it's lucky CH is manager, not me :)

I thought the service to Murray was the woeful bit. Midfield were bossed by Birmingham until the latter stages when they ran out of puff and went defensive. Struggling to remember a decent ball Murray or Baldock received before March came on.

I agree with the scores and points made by [MENTION=6678]severnside gull[/MENTION]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont agree with the criticism of Bong as I thought that he had a decent game but I would have expoected Duffy to have won the header for their goal as that is his strong point but overall we kept going and never gave up so full credit to the entire team.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Prob not shown on sky but the ball did emarrasingly sqeak passed stockdale twice, thankfully play had stopped both times!

The first time was a mistake failing to trap a long shot but way after the whistle. The second time I thought he did it deliberately in the same circumstances to wind up their fans!?
Just as long as he doesn't do it in open play :lolol:

There was one back pass just after that he let bounce and I think everyone in the crowd was expecting him to miss his kick- my heart nearly stopped!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought we were poor........
Amazing win [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

6 - average

Stockdale 7
Bruno 5
Bong 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 6
Knockaert 7
Stephens 5
Sidwell 5
Skalak 5
Baldock 5
Murray 6

March 7
Norwood 7
Hemed 6

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I dont agree with the criticism of Bong as I thought that he had a decent game but I would have expoected Duffy to have won the header for their goal as that is his strong point but overall we kept going and never gave up so full credit to the entire team.

Spot on. Bong did play well.

A little harsh only because he had to back peddle a couple of steps and their player had more leverage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here