Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CKR: No regrets about homophobic gesture

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...m-richards-corinthians-brazil-racism-football

Would he describe that as “football banter” or racism? “The first time I think it’s more ignorance,” he says, “but then it really is racism after that, because they’re not listening, they still think it’s funny. And then you retaliate and you get labelled a bad boy.”

He has had to deal with racism all his life and appeared in court after making a “homophobic” gesture towards Brighton fans in 2013. He does not regret it. “I’ve got more racism in England for being Turkish than being black. That ‘homophobic’ thing all started from people calling me a Turkish kebab. ‘Go back to Turkey you f*cking Turkish kebab!’ People have quoted that I’ve got charged with homophobia but I didn’t, I got charged with public disorder.”

Kazim-Richards does not see any difference between what he did and what the Brighton fans were doing to him and he feels the colour of his skin has made it easier for people to label him a bad boy. “I think if I was a different colour, my career would be held up as an example rather than ‘ah he’s a journeyman’, because I don’t suit the label.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Read that earlier today. He justified his actions as responding to chants from the Brighton crowd. So that's ok then..............

Imbecile.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...m-richards-corinthians-brazil-racism-football

Would he describe that as “football banter” or racism? “The first time I think it’s more ignorance,” he says, “but then it really is racism after that, because they’re not listening, they still think it’s funny. And then you retaliate and you get labelled a bad boy.”

He has had to deal with racism all his life and appeared in court after making a “homophobic” gesture towards Brighton fans in 2013. He does not regret it. “I’ve got more racism in England for being Turkish than being black. That ‘homophobic’ thing all started from people calling me a Turkish kebab. ‘Go back to Turkey you f*cking Turkish kebab!’ People have quoted that I’ve got charged with homophobia but I didn’t, I got charged with public disorder.”

Kazim-Richards does not see any difference between what he did and what the Brighton fans were doing to him and he feels the colour of his skin has made it easier for people to label him a bad boy. “I think if I was a different colour, my career would be held up as an example rather than ‘ah he’s a journeyman’, because I don’t suit the label.

The guy is a lazy, deluded, arrogant knob, with a massive chip on his shoulder, who has wasted a fair chunk of his talent.

He got into trouble in Holland for threatening to beat up a reporter, for criticizing his temperament :jester: He literally has no self-awareness. Utterly repugnant behaviour throughout his career, and people's reaction to it have nothing whatsoever to do with his skin tone or nationality.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Read that earlier today. He justified his actions as responding to chants from the Brighton crowd. So that's ok then..............

Imbecile.

Can't remember the game all that clearly, but pretty sure the chants would have been bog-standard stuff along the lines of 'should have stayed with a big club' or 'what a waste of money'. If CKR claims otherwise, he's a lying ****. As well as a homophobe.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Brighton fans are well known for their racism in recent years aren't they?:shrug:

Bloke is an absolute txxt who went for the easy option of calling the race issue as an excuse for his behaviour.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Can't remember the game all that clearly, but pretty sure the chants would have been bog-standard stuff along the lines of 'should have stayed with a big club' or 'what a waste of money'. If CKR claims otherwise, he's a lying ****. As well as a homophobe.

It was along the lines of 'you fat *******.' as he was overweight. It was a public order charge with a homophobic element.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...hards-guilty-homophobic-gesture-brighton-fans

He was also in jail twice when he played in Turkey, and dropped from their national team for excessive drinking, but he seems to want to be a victim.

Edit - the stars denote an illegitimate person which the swear filter has picked up.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with all the above. Not even put in to context that he was our ex player either, it's a very long, sycophantic article that implies he went straight to Turkey from Bury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Taking out of his arse. I'd completely forgotten he was "Turkish", as I daresay had most fans. He was born in Leytonstone ffs.

The bloke is an utter waste of skin.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Taking out of his arse. I'd completely forgotten he was "Turkish", as I daresay had most fans. He was born in Leytonstone ffs.

To be fair Brighton fans like to be offended easily. So he made a gesture big deal

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I think we all know, he's just not a very nice person. It's not as if the Amex incident was a 1 off. And yes, anyone called Colin isn't someone you think of as foreign. Like you, never even crossed my mind he was 'Turkish' until he reminded us. FFS, I think the guy has almost chosen to grow and cultivate a huge chip on his shoulder going by that article.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Don't who else needed to double check but I'm pretty sure like me most people didn't even know he was Turkish

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here