Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Darn- can't make the 27th, I'll have to wait a few days. I never used my 10% discount in a Brewdog bar- how does it work? Can I get the rounds in and save everyone I'm with 10%?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Darn- can't make the 27th, I'll have to wait a few days. I never used my 10% discount in a Brewdog bar- how does it work? Can I get the rounds in and save everyone I'm with 10%?!

Produce your Equity Punk card when making the purchase and you get 10% off. It's that simple. Only you can use the card but you can buy as many drinks as you want, and as many rounds as you want, so yes you can "get the rounds in and save everyone I'm with 10%"

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Time Out has just put together a list of their favourite American Craft Beers

I've managed about 10 of them, and really recommend No. 17 - 21st Amendment Black in Black IPA

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Time Out has just put together a list of their favourite American Craft Beers

I've managed about 10 of them, and really recommend No. 17 - 21st Amendment Black in Black IPA

I might need a little advice on bars around Union and Gramercy for October. Will try jimmys 43 and probably do the tourist bit at McSorleys one night but after that maybe you can point me to some decent places.
Cheers in advance Lyndhurst 14.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good to see Dark Star and Kissingate both getting gongs.

Off to the GBBF tomorrow ☺

They one with APA a few years back so it's all good although I do struggle with the Relevation. Ones nice and then I start to struggle with it. Just becoming a lightweight in my old age.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I might need a little advice on bars around Union and Gramercy for October. Will try jimmys 43 and probably do the tourist bit at McSorleys one night but after that maybe you can point me to some decent places.
Cheers in advance Lyndhurst 14.

Try the other Jimmy’s as well – Jimmy’s Corner. It is one of my favourite NYC haunts – just off Times Square but one of the cheapest pints of Sam Adams in town. Always good when Jimmy (ex boxing trainer ) is behind the bar. McSorleys is well situated for some good curry houses in the East Village. Don’t really know Union / Grammercy that well but some recommendations a bit further afield in no particular order:

DBA New York, great choice of craft beers and good atmosphere – 41 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Avenue (between East 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and East 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Streets) – a few blocks from McSorleys

Spuyten Duyvil 359 Metropolitan Avenue (at Havemeyer Steet/North 4th Street) – mix with the hipsters in Williamsburg and enjoy some good ales

Heartland Brewery – several locations and good BBQ food

Blind Tiger Ale House – Bleecker Street

Ginger Man – 11 E 36[SUP]th[/SUP] Street

and my local – Jones Wood Foundry on the Upper East Side – 401 E 76[SUP]th[/SUP] Street, can’t miss it – it’s got a Fullers sign outside. Really laid back vibe and good food

Enjoy NYC

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Try the other Jimmy’s as well – Jimmy’s Corner. It is one of my favourite NYC haunts – just off Times Square but one of the cheapest pints of Sam Adams in town. Always good when Jimmy (ex boxing trainer ) is behind the bar. McSorleys is well situated for some good curry houses in the East Village. Don’t really know Union / Grammercy that well but some recommendations a bit further afield in no particular order:

DBA New York, great choice of craft beers and good atmosphere – 41 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Avenue (between East 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and East 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Streets) – a few blocks from McSorleys

Spuyten Duyvil 359 Metropolitan Avenue (at Havemeyer Steet/North 4th Street) – mix with the hipsters in Williamsburg and enjoy some good ales

Heartland Brewery – several locations and good BBQ food

Blind Tiger Ale House – Bleecker Street

Ginger Man – 11 E 36[SUP]th[/SUP] Street

and my local – Jones Wood Foundry on the Upper East Side – 401 E 76[SUP]th[/SUP] Street, can’t miss it – it’s got a Fullers sign outside. Really laid back vibe and good food

Enjoy NYC
Many thanks Lindy I'll work myself through that and plan my itinerary. Cheers,

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I'm moving from Virginia to California in a couple of weeks so will try and post a bit more as I continue to enjoy some great craft beer - clearly California is a craft leader, I'm looking forward to the Sierra Nevada brewery tour and getting down to taste all that is old and new. Will be Sacramento based, the self styled 'farm to fork' capital of the west. Should be good! Plus I get to hang out in Cesar Chavez Square!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just got back from work late after a long day and had a couple of Brouwerij De Rankes Huldeburgs.wasnt expecting much as bought them at the Eurostar supermarket pretty cheap. Nice though and pleasantly surprised at this little 8 per cent. An Old Geuze and then bed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm moving from Virginia to California in a couple of weeks so will try and post a bit more as I continue to enjoy some great craft beer - clearly California is a craft leader, I'm looking forward to the Sierra Nevada brewery tour and getting down to taste all that is old and new. Will be Sacramento based, the self styled 'farm to fork' capital of the west. Should be good! Plus I get to hang out in Cesar Chavez Square!

Good luck with the move!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I work in the talbot in cuckfield, what would you recommend a beer to get in for the locals, always have Harvey's and some form of dark star and long man, fancy a change

I was going to recommend something from Baseline Brewery in Small Dole, but sadly they have bucked another trend and stopped brewing.

Goldmark and Kissingate offer particularly good milds
Firebird is worth a look if there has been an outbreak of facial hair in the Cuckfield region.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I work in the talbot in cuckfield, what would you recommend a beer to get in for the locals, always have Harvey's and some form of dark star and long man, fancy a change

Try something from Burning Sky, I like their saisons and my father loves their plateau pale ale, which is an excellent session beer.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
http://www.stonch.co.uk/2015/08/brighton.html

Enjoyed this post on a Brighton Pub crawl. Sums it up nicely for me. Plenty of people seem to be able to get along well with the best of the new stuff and the classics. Just a few Harveys haters and "trendsetters" on here who need to chill out and enjoy these beer bonanza days. We have never had it so good.

Cheers for that CR. This was a welcome surprise:
Our two pints each of Sussex Best proved yet again why this is the true champion beer of Britain: this year, and every year.

And I love the Evening Star beer boards. I enjoyed the Brighton Beer Dispensary when we went there before a match last season.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good guide to cask conditioned beers in the USA and where to find them. Been to Church Keys in Washington DC and that is a great bar, and anything by Dog Fish Head or Bronx Brewery works for me

Best cask conditioned beers in the USA

Am having a 5 day break in NY next month and was wondering if you had any tips on good beer bars. Many of the famous ones obviously come up on line but there are so many it's hard to see the wood for the trees. We are staying down on E17th around Gramercy and going to need plenty of good bars for the evenings. Cheers

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
You may have already seen some of these, but they do make for interesting drinking.

The Malt and Mold is an interesting place – part store (cheeses etc) and bar. I really like it – and they do good sandwiches http://www.maltandmold.com/#!gramercy-home/c1ir6

I’ve only really discovered Tap Room 307 recently (3[SUP]rd[/SUP] between 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 24[SUP]th[/SUP]). http://www.taproom307.com/ but it’s become one of my favorites – over 40 beers on tap and a “Beer Rewards” programme – a must. Can get packed but they seem to cope. Great pulled pork sandwiches.

The Cannibal on 113 East 29[SUP]th[/SUP] is another bar / shop – seems to be a NYC thing. Apparently named after Eddy Merckx. Not cheap but has lots and lots of bottled Belgian beers and Timothy Taylor Landlord which was a favourite of mine in the UK. http://www.cannibalnyc.com/

Bit further afield - With a name like the Albion Bar you need to pay a visit - not in Grammercy (it’s on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 32[SUP]nd[/SUP]) but worth the hike, great choice of craft beers and extended happy hours, has Fullers ESB if you’re feeling homesick.

Rattle and Hum is a nice little boozer, on 33[SUP]rd[/SUP] between Madison and 5[SUP]th[/SUP]. It’s got about 40 beers on tap and 90 different bottled beers, so should be able to find something you like. http://www.rattlenhumbarnyc.com/home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here