Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Stoke (Home)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
����
Agreed, before his goal Propper was poor imo but improved dramatically after that.. Stephens was brilliant in the first half and deserved his MOM award with an unusually creative performance for him. Showing more attacking intent meant we weren’t as solid at the back. We stood off them too much for my liking but showed some good attacking intent. Ryan kept us in the game with his save at 2_1
Should have said Propper’s goal assist :rolleyes:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Ryan 7. Good and fast distribution, some excellent saves. Very good goalkeeper
Bruno 6. We saw last season that his levels drop when the weather gets colder and damp. Same last night. not sure he will last the season
Duffy 6. Played too far apart from Dunk. Less good than usual
Dunk 5. What a weird performance, almost like the Dunk of two years ago - out of position for first goal and odd positioning throughout. Not sure what he was doing going on runs up left wing on occasion.
Bong 7. Best defender last night - reads game better than others, and this sometimes causes him to look isolated
Knockaert 5. Can see why he didn't establish himself in Leicester's PL team. He knows he's been found out by the better defenders in PL
Stephens 9. I thought he was the stand out player in the pitch - broke up Stoke moves, passed the ball quickly, dominant MoM
Propper 8. Seems to take a bit of time to settle in to a game but when he does he is impressive. Seemed to be playing a little further forward last night, and better for it. Very good
Izquierdo 7. Very fast and too tempted to shoot wildly when might be better to pass. does he actually look around for his team-mates?
Gross 8. did what he does - 'here, there, everying f***ing where' and scored.
Murray. 7. Not sure he actually caused them many problems, but he kept them busy and bustled

March 6. Tried to get in to the game but out muscled by Stoke
Brown 6. I thought he was a lot more engaged and physical than in other recent performances. Improved
Schelotto 6. don't know why, but I liked what he did

Stoke: i thought they were close to anti-football.

The closest to how I saw it from all posts so far pretty much.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ryan 7. Good and fast distribution, some excellent saves. Very good goalkeeper
Bruno 6. We saw last season that his levels drop when the weather gets colder and damp. Same last night. not sure he will last the season
Duffy 6. Played too far apart from Dunk. Less good than usual
Dunk 5. What a weird performance, almost like the Dunk of two years ago - out of position for first goal and odd positioning throughout. Not sure what he was doing going on runs up left wing on occasion.
Bong 7. Best defender last night - reads game better than others, and this sometimes causes him to look isolated
Knockaert 5. Can see why he didn't establish himself in Leicester's PL team. He knows he's been found out by the better defenders in PL
Stephens 9. I thought he was the stand out player in the pitch - broke up Stoke moves, passed the ball quickly, dominant MoM
Propper 8. Seems to take a bit of time to settle in to a game but when he does he is impressive. Seemed to be playing a little further forward last night, and better for it. Very good
Izquierdo 7. Very fast and too tempted to shoot wildly when might be better to pass. does he actually look around for his team-mates?
Gross 8. did what he does - 'here, there, everying f***ing where' and scored.
Murray. 7. Not sure he actually caused them many problems, but he kept them busy and bustled

March 6. Tried to get in to the game but out muscled by Stoke
Brown 6. I thought he was a lot more engaged and physical than in other recent performances. Improved
Schelotto 6. don't know why, but I liked what he did

I was going to post my ratings but this looks pretty spot on to me. I'd have rated Bruno and Duffy 5 as well - I thought both CBs were below par tonight and I wonder if age is catching up on Bruno

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think a lot of the players didn't play to the level they have earlier in the season. A lot of uncharacteristic mistakes and poor decisions in possession. Stephens the standout for me. The real positive is that when we are not at our best we can still be unlucky not to beat a premier league mid table team (that's us too now :) )

Ryan 6.5

Bruno 5.5
Dunk 5.5
Duffy 5.5
Bong 6.5

Izquierdo 6.5
Stephens 8
Propper 7
Knockaert 6

Gross 7
Murray 7 (although borderline 6.5 for the petulant challenge)

Brown 5.5
Schellotto 5.5
March 6

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
An entertaining game in spite of the awful referee.

Ryan 8. A couple of great saves, good distribution.
Bruno 6. Not one of his better games. Some good, some not so good.
Duffy 6. Not at his best. A defensive header in the second half that went straight up in the air about summed up his day. Was Ireland's thumping playing on his mind?
Dunk 6. Has played better. Strange that both CBs should be below their best on the same day.
Bong 7. Probably the best of the back four.
Stephens 8. One of his best performances, but some of his passing not up to standard.
Propper 8. Some great stuff, but a couple of awful passes which could have lead to goals.
Knockaert 5. Our weak link last night. Did very little of note and was far too often in the middle when we needed him on the wing to provide an outlet.
Izquierdo 6. Enormous potential, but needs more discipline in his game.
Gross 7. Well taken goal and a decent performance, but not quite at his best.
Murray 8. A very intelligent footballer. Very good performance apart from the early miss. Lots of running and closing down even late on.

Subs:
March 7. Good cameo. Would have liked to see him on for longer (or starting instead of Knockaert). Didn't see a lot of the ball.
Brown 7. Best I have seen from him. Looked to be really up for it.
Schellotto 7. Looked pretty good. Would like to see more.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I wonder whether Shane Duffy is playing through an injury and I thought that his performance reflected that. He was limping quite badly near the end last night.

If so, he needs to sort it out before it becomes an enforced rest.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Everyone was a mixture of good and bad, a really weird performance.

Ryan was at fault for the second.

Murray was poor most of the night but should have won a penalty and produced that sublime inside ball for the second.

So many wayward hit and hope balls in the air to a huge outfit.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Some very strange marks in this thread. For me;

Ryan 7 Statue for the second goal but made a good save and distribution was very good.
Bruno 6 Not really able to influence the game going forward and stood off defensively.
Duffy 6 Did what he does and did nothing terrible but not a threat from set pieces.
Dunk 6 A few poor passes but positionally excellent and overall he was solid.
Bong 5 Kicks it straight out of play so often, contributes nothing going forward and a bang average defender.
Knockaert 5 Drifted inside so often in the second half especially when trying to get out of Pieters' pocket.
Stephens 8 Superb performance, effective tackling and passing and really got around the pitch.
Propper 8 Yes, a few misplaced passes but what a run for the first goal and constantly involved - easily his best for us .
Izquierdo 6 Dreadful waste of a couple of glorious moments in the first half, but showed his class with the reaction for the goal.
Gross 6 Lovely goal but otherwise it was a poor game for him. I think he needs to get out of the wingers way and play a bit deeper.
Murray 6 Not at his best last night against the mountains in Stoke's defence but put himself about and should have won a penalty.

Subs
March 6 Bullied Diouf, who should be ashamed of himself for his behaviour.
Brown N/A Did nothing, again. Makes no impact on a game.
Schelotto N/A Got past Pieters and then had no idea what to do. Would prefer to see Rosenior on the bench and coming on.

It was a good game but that doesn't mean there were good performances. We really ought to have won that game, but ultimately we didn't do enough.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I wonder whether Shane Duffy is playing through an injury and I thought that his performance reflected that. He was limping quite badly near the end last night.

If so, he needs to sort it out before it becomes an enforced rest.

I wondered whether there was still a bit of ' shell-shock ' after the Denmark mauling. The Irish players would have been really pumped up for that one and the letdown would have been immense. Sometimes those scars can linger for a little while.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ryan 7 Looked confident catching distribution was good hard to blame him for either goal.
Bruno 6 Is age catching him up?
Duffy 5 not what we have come to expect
Dunk 5 As per Duffy.
Bong 7 Solid performance
Knockhaert 5 Is the Premier a step too far?
Stephens 9 MOM superb performance in the thick of everything
Propper 8 Great partnership with Stephens now reaping the rewards;
Izquierdo 7 Some good runs that caused problems but Why dont we give him those balls more often?
Gross 6 Not his usual influential game but had to drop back into midfield a lot to help out.
Murray 7 Plenty of effort and kept their giants at the back busy.

March 6 Did Ok but didnt get any help from a poor ref.
Schelotto 6 Looks promising and his day will come perhaps against Zaha?
Brown 6 Not on for long but best performance for us.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ryan - 7 a good save at a vital time and could do nothing about the goals. Collected a lot of high balls very well.
Bruno - 5 a poor game where Stoke tactically outmanoeuvred him very comfortably. And what was he doing for their second goal?
Dunk - 6 not his best game but provided a brilliant block after Propper's first mistake. I thought people were being harsh on him for the goal; he was in the right position and got done by an excellent ball and an even better first touch.
Duffy - 5 poor. Won very little in the air, despite their numerous corners and crosses. Lost out for the second goal and totally misjudged the situation for the first where he was trying to play offside rather than reading the play and covering in behind Dunk as he should've been.
Bong - 6 decent defensively, poor going forward.
Knockaert - 4 I'm worried. Was poor defensively and offered very little going forward. Hopefully it's just a blip at the moment.
Stephens - 8 mixed some sublime with the odd bit of poor play, but I thought he was excellent overall.
Propper - 7.5 his two big mistakes aside which should've cost us goals, I thought he was very good. Set up the first goal with an excellent run and was willing to drive at them throughout. Some excellent slide rule balls through as well.
Izquierdo - 7 an increased mark for the goal, but he was very frustrating and showed his naivety at times. Considering the amount of space he was afforded, he really should've contributed more.
Gross - 7 a good all round display in his dual role and got another goal. Some excellent deliveries too.
Murray - 8 up there with Stephens as MOTM. Held the ball up very well, looked motivated, closed down and sacrificed his own game for the team up against three CBs. Very impressive.

Scheletto - 6 some good moments
Brown - 7 I thought he looked very bright, both defensively and in his attacking play.
March - 6 a better starter than sub (for me Jeff). Never really got a chance to go at them.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Ryan 7

Bruno 6.5
Dunk 6.5
Duffy 6.5
Bong 7

Knockaert 6
Stephens 7
Propper 7
Izquierdo 7

Gross 7.5 MOTM

Murray 6

March 7
Schelotto 6
Brown 6

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Ryan 7 - Couple of decent saves. Not at fault for either goal.
Bruno 6.5 - A bit hit or miss last night.
Dunk 6.5 - Both centre backs looked a little shaky at times with some unforced errors (maybe due to the conditions). Tried to drive forward when he could though.
Duffy 6 - As above, without the driving forward part.
Bong 6 - Defended well but looked like a fish out of water when trying to go forward. Too indecisive.
Knockaert 6 - Average at best. Seems to be struggling so far this season and it's getting to him. Fantastic flick to Murray just before being subbed off.
Stephens 8(MotM) - Very good first half. Controlled the midfield and distributed the ball well. Struggled to find space in the second half so he became a bit subdued.
Pröpper 7 - Working well with Stephens. Moments of brilliance like the run for the goal, but too many little mistakes that could've been costly.
José 7 - Acres of space but he failed to punish them for it. Missed a good chance in the first half. Good reactions to take his goal well..
Groß 7 - Works hard and continues to put good balls into the box from set pieces. Sometimes he needs to stop twisting and turning and just put the ball in.
Murray 6.5 - Absent for large parts of the game. Should've had a penalty and a red card. Fantastic reverse pass for Jose's goal. Should've returned the ball to Knockaert quicker after that special flick pass.

March 6 - Eager to get involved but wasn't getting the service.
Schelotto 5.5 - Worked his way into the box well and then royally fluffed his lines with a horrendous cross. Needs game time.
Brown 6 - Run around a lot but didn't do much.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Brown N/A why ? He came on at the same time as Schelotto and you scored him ?

I felt Schelotto got enough meaningful touches of the baller to be worth a score, whereas Brown didn’t.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ryan 6 -- one great save, but he should have come for the ball for the second goal, although he was hardly assisted by his defenders. Good distribution, again.
Bruno 5 -- below usual standard
Duffy 5 -- ditto
Dunk 5 -- ditto
Bong 7 -- above usual standard, and has been for most of this season. His passing isn't up to much though.
Knockaert 5 -- below usual standard
Stephens 8 MotM
Propper 8 -- Stephens just edged it, because he didn't give the ball away in dangerous situations like Propper, but it's good to see our CM duo getting the plaudits
Izquierdo 6 -- dangerous, so quick on the turn and over short distances, had numerous chances and took one, but should have done better with other situations
Gross 7 -- another goal involvement, and typical uber-shift, but not quite as creative as usual
Murray 7.5 -- had a really good game, having a really good season

March 7 -- looked lively, and I love the way that he backs his strength since he's been in the PL. Due a start.
Schelotto and Brown 6.5 -- both did OK

Stoke have gone up in my estimations at least in an attacking sense, they can play in different styles within a game, their first goal was devastating, and their set-pieces with so many colossuses made us look extremely vulnerable -- and I haven't said that about any other opponent this season.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
With the second goal, the ball was won on the six yard line by a Stoke head and there was no-one in front of Ryan.

Do you really not expect him to come out and collect that? Surely that's meat and drink for him.

I expect our captain not to turn his back on the ball from a corner. I expect our physically imposing CBs to show some level of domination in the area. I'm sure Ryan isn't faultless, but I certainly wouldn't have him near the top of my blame list for that second goal.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I've only seen the 24 minute highlights, but, going by the player ratings offered here, I'd say the Albion did well getting a point against Stoke, who are a large and physical side with some skill also. That says to me that the Albion have some real steel inside them and can hang in there during tough games against the teams around us. Great stuff. As for AK, does sound like he needs a short rest - maybe they need to coach him back to the winger 'basics' of a couple of touches then cross the ball [Beckham ... bleugh... never used to beat anyone... one touch and cross]. If defenders get used to trying to stop his crosses, then AK can mix it up with dribbling past them. Anyways, UTA !!!

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I expect our captain not to turn his back on the ball from a corner. I expect our physically imposing CBs to show some level of domination in the area. I'm sure Ryan isn't faultless, but I certainly wouldn't have him near the top of my blame list for that second goal.

Spot on, Bruno's days may be numbered?

As for "Dunk for England", you have to be joking, he looked poor last night, as did the under impressing Knockaert who should not be picked ahead of Solly!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here