Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Amex Sausage Rolls

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
£4.30 sounds a lot but they are worth it. They weigh a ton because they're packed with meat.

PS: They always have them in the 1901 lounges. Want me to sneak a few out?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do we now all agree the procedure is the pies are made at the factory, in Worthing I believe.part cooked, then chilled to 0° or lower, transported to The Amex under chilled conditions, then REHEATED to the cooking temperature to finish cooking then served.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Do we now all agree the procedure is the pies are made at the factory, in Worthing I believe.part cooked, then chilled to 0° or lower, transported to The Amex under chilled conditions, then REHEATED to the cooking temperature to finish cooking then served.

I don't think anyone cares.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
£4.30 sounds a lot but they are worth it. They weigh a ton because they're packed with meat.

PS: They always have them in the 1901 lounges. Want me to sneak a few out?

If one could eat and / or supply 50 to mates, it may be worth getting a 1901 ticket at some point :drool:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think anyone cares.

I do because we were told by the EHO in Guildford that chicken should NEVER be reheated. The pies should be made completely and sold hot or cooked completely left to cool and then sold cold. Hence we stopped selling chicken pies and only did so as part of a special when we knew we would sell them all after wife had made them. Apparently it was all to do with bacteria forming in reheated chicken, and the pies do not get to a high enough temperature on the 2nd heating to kill that bacteria, well thats what they told us.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove

Against my better judgment, I'll agree with you. In the sense that they are heated for a second time to finish the cooking process and technically by part cooking them, cooling them and then cooking them again, you are heating them twice, which is reheating.

But although they are technically reheated, I wouldn't refer to them as being reheated because that usually implies something is being reheated after being cooked. Why not just say that they finish cooking them at the stadium so that they can be eaten freshly cooked.

Edit: Pretty sure that there's nothing wrong with eating reheated chicken, as long as it's only reheated once and hot all the way through.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I do because we were told by the EHO in Guidford that chicken should NEVER be reheated. The pies should be made completely and sold hot or cooked completely left to cool and then sold cold. Hence we stopped selling chicken pies and only did so as part of a special when we knew we would sell them all after wife had made them. Apparently it was all to do with bacteria forming in reheated chicken, and the pies do not get to a high enough temperature on the 2nd heating to kill that bacteria, well thats what they told us.

Do you eat them... No... have there been hundreds of cases of people being ill after eating them... No... Are the pies nice... Not particually.

Move on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Normski 1989 please read my post no 166 which was my original bone of contention. I accept that they are not reheated in the sense of the old fashioned pie warmers that pubs had or a fish and chip shop does in the hot tray.

ps I see that you have and replied.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I make sausage rolls.

1) Don't use all butter puff pastry - since they are fatty enough.

2) Buy good quality sausages with a high meat content of 90% at least.

3) Add to whatever is in the sausages to intensify the flavour. For example - I like the Waitrose ones with nutmeg and add more nutmeg.

4) Add to the meat what people like to eat with them and hedge all bets. I add a tablespoon each of brown sauce, ketchup and mustard, adding a few tablespoons of extra breadcrumbs to balance the liquid.

5) Egg wash and sprinkle the outside of the pastry with black pepper and sea salt.

6) Lastly ( and this my my friends is the best tip you will EVER get - taking a nod from the beef Wellington )

Egg and breadcrumb (must be fresh bread) the sausage meat before rolling in the pastry. It will absorb the excess fat and keep it INSIDE.

The pastry will be crisp beyond your wildest dreams and the inside will be moist.

I prepare them the night before and cook them in the morning - placing in a thermos bag straight out the oven without letting to cool. Once puff pastry has been allowed to steam it has that authentic behind the counter Greggs chewy thing going with quality ingredients.

They are gone within a few minutes at work.

This sounds epic!

Soooo... how long do you cook them for?! Genuinely creating a note on your suggestions for the next batch... :D

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They had a 'special' at the Amex once that had black pudding running through the centre of the sausagemeat. It was just fantastic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That sounds great as I like Black Pudding but at the end of the day have we established that Sausage Rolls will be available in Lower West for the Stoke game?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It is really hard to determine from so many posts whether everyone agrees about the reheating.

A poll would sort it out once and for all. Sorry to say but my vote would still be for a "finished cooking" option.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is really hard to determine from so many posts whether everyone agrees about the reheating.

A poll would sort it out once and for all. Sorry to say but my vote would still be for a "finished cooking" option.

So they are finishing cooking them cold !! Absurd suggestion I know but just to emphasis the point.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

It would be utterly amazing if 2 companies the size of Piglet's Pantry and Sodexo were to not stick to environmental health guidelines and regulations with regard to the preparation of chicken in the pies. Using some common sense it can be safe to say however they are prepared/cooked/reheated or whatever it is done in a way that meets all EH requirements.

If they aren't available in East Lower I'm going to have to use the stairs from E1A block that go down to the North concourse so I can sample one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So they are finishing cooking them cold !! Absurd suggestion I know but just to emphasis the point.

I genuinely don't know what you mean.........???

The part-cooked pie (containing filling which was made separately and possibly involved being cooked for several hours), which has been assembled (with, I suspect, part-cooked pastry), chilled, and transported to the Amex, is then put in an oven where the cooking is completed.

I suspect issues with the pastry being too soggy or crispy are down to the Amex cooking (wrong temperature or timing) rather than manufacturing quality.

The appearance of the mythical sausage roll in WSL at least seems to be sporadic - rarely available. If I arrive early enough(ie when there is no queue) I'll go into Dick's where they usually have them. It's worth it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I agree about Piglets Pies and Sodexho and you could include Greggs but am puzzled as to how it is ok for them but not for a single pub to do the same.

Unless we have any environmental health officers on here with knowledge of food prep regulations I think we'll never find out!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unless we have any environmental health officers on here with knowledge of food prep regulations I think we'll never find out!

I think it was a case of big brother exerting authority on the little man. In our case wife made me leave the pub when we had a visit as I always argued with the lady from Guilford Council. She stated that we couldnt store food for the pub in the same cupboard fridge or freezer with the food we were going to use ourselves. I couldnt make her understand that when wife made a special if it didbnt all sell we had it for dinner. This even went to the extent of baked beans and other tinned goods. She even said that we couldnt mix the knives and forks for the pub with those that we used. It was absolutely ridiculous what she said. She is probably now retired or near to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here