Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] White poppy?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Should be a time of reflection and remembrance for those who fought and died.

Sadly this time of year has become a crusade by the permanently outraged and offended to make sure we are all doing it 'right'.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
White poppy? Designed specially for generation snowflake. Its red or nothing, remembrance of our fallen does not require diluting with this PC bollocks. If you want to wear a white poppy then fine just don't try and piggy back onto what the red poppy represents, its a different cause and issue as far as I'm concerned so keep it separate and pick a different date to remember whatever it is you're trying to remember.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I suppose it comes down to your own perception.

I consider that the red poppy does remember and respect the fallen from all sides in all wars, even though it originated following the First World War. During the 2 minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday I think of a lot of people; my friends and colleagues who have died whilst serving their country in peace and conflict, my grandparents who served their country in World War 2 before going on to live long and worthy lives, my Great-Grandfather who I never knew who 'Died of Wounds' in 1918 and wonder what sort of man he was, and other people who are no longer with us. I joined the military before the Falklands Conflict and am still serving; there are far too many names on the walls of the National Arboretum that are known to me and this time of year gives me the opportunity to remember them.

A red or white poppy is your choice. The difference is that buying a red poppy supports veterans (from distant and recent history) in times of hardship whereas a white poppy does not. I will wear my red poppy with pride, as I do every year, and shed a tear for those who cannot, again, as I do every year.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Britain First has put me off the red poppy somewhat, but then I stopped wearing one around the time it seemed to become compulsory in the media anyway.
Still waiting to find out how exactly britain first have put you off the red poppy ?You get annoyed enough to offer people out (so you claim) over some abuse shouted out of a taxi , yet refuse to wearf a poppy ?/ Strange bloke.........

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think the biggest...actually, the only issue I have with white poppies is when people who are minded to wear them choose to do so. It appears to me that choosing to wear a white poppy at the same time of year as the rest of us wear red poppies is done to be deliberately provocative. It's confrontational, it's not just a statement about the white poppy and what it represents but it also becomes a statement against the red poppy and that statement being that those who wear red poppies are warmongers, it's a death cult and promotes imperialism (all arguments I've heard from people advocating white poppies).

Maybe if those who want to wear white poppies just let us red poppy wearers get on with our traditions and ceremonies at this time of year and they choose another time of year to do their thing. If this were to happen then I'd have a little more respect for their views rather than thinking their actions are designed to be deliberately disrespectful, and intentionally a spoiling tactic.

Just my two-pennyworth.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
White poppy? Designed specially for generation snowflake.

False. First white poppies were sold in 1933, 84 years or so before the relentlessly childish term 'snowflake' started coming into common use.

Personally I wear a red poppy but if people want to wear a white one that's no business of mine. They have their reasons and beliefs and I have mine.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think the biggest...actually, the only issue I have with white poppies is when people who are minded to wear them choose to do so. It appears to me that choosing to wear a white poppy at the same time of year as the rest of us wear red poppies is done to be deliberately provocative. It's confrontational, it's not just a statement about the white poppy and what it represents but it also becomes a statement against the red poppy and that statement being that those who wear red poppies are warmongers, it's a death cult and promotes imperialism (all arguments I've heard from people advocating white poppies).

Maybe if those who want to wear white poppies just let us red poppy wearers get on with our traditions and ceremonies at this time of year and they choose another time of year to do their thing. If this were to happen then I'd have a little more respect for their views rather than thinking their actions are designed to be deliberately disrespectful, and intentionally a spoiling tactic.

Just my two-pennyworth.

I agree with this, I wore my red poppy out on Friday night and this is from a pacifist, any suggestion that it symbolises 'pro-war' is nonsense.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I bought òne of the wristbands instead of a poppy this year, guess that makes me some kind of ****.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I buy one. Then I colour it in red.

Ps this is an annual thread isn’t it? Can’t we just resurrect last year’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Being a signed-up Guardian reading liberal leftie, I have always worn a red poppy.

To be honest, I don't ever remember seeing any white poppies on sale anywhere, and am not sure I have ever seen too many people wearing them. But I have never sought out white poppies and if people want to wear them, that's fine by me.

My one and only objection to poppy day is that I don't think it ought to need to exist, because the state should look after those who suffer in defence of the state (and us) at our - the tax-payers' - expense.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My one and only objection to poppy day is that I don't think it ought to need to exist, because the state should look after those who suffer in defence of the state (and us) at our - the tax-payers' - expense.

The state should look after all those who have suffered in defence of the Realm but I do think there should always be a Remembrance Day and that for those of us who want to that we can show our gratitude by wearing a poppy. That doesn't make me better than someone who doesn't wear one, it also doesn't mean that those who don't wear one aren't as grateful. As long as the current and ex-servicemen and women through the Royal British Legion are happy to offer this as a way of remembering the sacrifices then I'm happy to buy one from them. As far as I am concerned it's completely apolitical and completely optional with no judgements placed on whatever they choose.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Many people think the red poppy of the RBL glorifies war

What utter bobbins that is when people criticise something for "glorifying war". For every 100 people who use such a phrase you will do very well to find a single person who has actually been misled into believing a war was indeed glorious.

Just take a straw poll on Remembrance Sunday, with all these people wearing the very symbol that is apparently glorifying war, and ask them whether they thought the war was glorious. No, no-one would do such a thing as it would be such an obviously stupid question. It glorifies absolutely nothing.

Note : I am perfectly aware that you, Thunder Bolt, are not of this opinion, merely passing on the opinion of others, that the Red Poppy "glorifies war" as an explanation of the White Poppy sentiment.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Still waiting to find out how exactly britain first have put you off the red poppy ?You get annoyed enough to offer people out (so you claim) over some abuse shouted out of a taxi , yet refuse to wearf a poppy ?/ Strange bloke.........

Appropriation of the image to the ends of blind and xenophobic nationalism by Britain First puts me off.
The previous media frenzy making wearing one obligatory for a public figure makes wearing one tokenism rather than meaningful respect or tribute, though that does not mean I disagree with remembrance Day, quite the contrary.
Last time I offered anyone out was over twenty years ago with the fervent and successful hope they would abandon their attempt to start a fight with a somewhat puny acquaintance of mine so I would venture out of character.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I suppose it comes down to your own perception.

I consider that the red poppy does remember and respect the fallen from all sides in all wars, even though it originated following the First World War. During the 2 minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday I think of a lot of people; my friends and colleagues who have died whilst serving their country in peace and conflict, my grandparents who served their country in World War 2 before going on to live long and worthy lives, my Great-Grandfather who I never knew who 'Died of Wounds' in 1918 and wonder what sort of man he was, and other people who are no longer with us. I joined the military before the Falklands Conflict and am still serving; there are far too many names on the walls of the National Arboretum that are known to me and this time of year gives me the opportunity to remember them.

A red or white poppy is your choice. The difference is that buying a red poppy supports veterans (from distant and recent history) in times of hardship whereas a white poppy does not. I will wear my red poppy with pride, as I do every year, and shed a tear for those who cannot, again, as I do every year.

Absolutely and good on you! These last few years have seen annual attempts to hijack the idea of the poppy with some spurious reasoning which, whilst never daring to criticise the idea of Remembrance Day, such as it is war mongering and jingoistic.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
False. First white poppies were sold in 1933, 84 years or so before the relentlessly childish term 'snowflake' started coming into common use.

Personally I wear a red poppy but if people want to wear a white one that's no business of mine. They have their reasons and beliefs and I have mine.

It may be relentlessly childish to you but for me it sums up perfectly a large proportion of the permanently offended desperate to be a victim feeble minded youth of today. They have their reasons and beliefs and I have mine.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The state should look after all those who have suffered in defence of the Realm but I do think there should always be a Remembrance Day and that for those of us who want to that we can show our gratitude by wearing a poppy. That doesn't make me better than someone who doesn't wear one, it also doesn't mean that those who don't wear one aren't as grateful. As long as the current and ex-servicemen and women through the Royal British Legion are happy to offer this as a way of remembering the sacrifices then I'm happy to buy one from them. As far as I am concerned it's completely apolitical and completely optional with no judgements placed on whatever they choose.

As ever, Buzzer has saved me writing a long winded post, my feelings exactly!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Appropriation of the image to the ends of blind and xenophobic nationalism by Britain First puts me off.
The previous media frenzy making wearing one obligatory for a public figure makes wearing one tokenism rather than meaningful respect or tribute, though that does not mean I disagree with remembrance Day, quite the contrary.
Last time I offered anyone out was over twenty years ago with the fervent and successful hope they would abandon their attempt to start a fight with a somewhat puny acquaintance of mine so I would venture out of character.

If you let something like that "put you off" then the britain first thing(never seen any britain first poppies or anything related myself)is just the handy excuse you were looking for anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here