Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
790c9da3ca21cfc251320653d417d7e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I used to spend a lot of time trying to decide if I were Agnostic or Atheist. Since getting more and more into quantum physics et al though it's become, to me, an increasingly pointless exercise when you are faced with so many fundamental questions on the nature of reality in the first place.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It don't matter anyway, if you die and there turns out to be a heaven - repent your sins and accept Jesus is your mate and job's a good'un.

Keep sinning until the day you die boys.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It don't matter anyway, if you die and there turns out to be a heaven - repent your sins and accept Jesus is your mate and job's a good'un.

Keep sinning until the day you die boys.

You ARE Super Hans :lol:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There is a difference between 'knowing' something and 'believing' something.
So.
I do not know if God exists.
I do know that I don't believe God exists

I don't believe in agnostics. I believe that everyone really does know (deep down) what they believe or do not believe. Just that many do not want to admit it, even to themselves.
So the answer to the OP question.: Atheists exist. Agnostics do not.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well I wouldn't dream of arguing with anyone about this but my own non-evangelical view is that until someone can explain to me what existed before the beginning of everything I'll just have to allow the possibility that there exists something that is beyond everyone's ability to come to terms with. Call it Fred, PPF or GOD; doesn't really matter.

As a theoretical astro-physicist once said to me, if you ask what existed before the big bang then you don't understand your own question. You get the same answer if you ask what is outside the universe, or what is the universe expanding into.

God is just a more complicated way of answering 'I don't know'

So much out there in space is absolutely impossible to even consider within the narrow field of our own understanding and experiences. There's a planet out there where it rains rubies, there's a moon of Saturn where the land and mountains is ice and the snow and rivers are carbon dioxide, how do you start to comprehend what is going on. I love reading about space and relativity and life and evolution and all the weird and wonderful stuff that goes on, and know I can never really get my head round it all - but that is so much more fun and interesting and exciting than just saying 'Oh God did it' and going back to my soap operas.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Well I wouldn't dream of arguing with anyone about this but my own non-evangelical view is that until someone can explain to me what existed before the beginning of everything I'll just have to allow the possibility that there exists something that is beyond everyone's ability to come to terms with. Call it Fred, PPF or GOD; doesn't really matter.

Ill take scientific theories about the state of play before the beginning of everything and proven scientific facts of how so many things are as they are today every day over The Abrahamic invented man made narrative of how things came into existence and evolved, which has zero scientific credibility.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nope - you can't prove a negative existential. That is a fundamental law of logic. The best you can do is achieve a level of probablility.

see problem of evil. while one cant prove that gods do not exist, one can logically prove the one defined by the Abrahamic religions does not. Epicurus does this over 300 years before they nailed a guy to cross for arguing over how to praise that god.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Err.....go on then?

The logic is that a Creator, if he exists in a logical world, requires his own Creator to have been created in the first place, that Creator requires his own creator, and so on and so forth back through infinite levels. Therefore a Creator is infinitely improbable, which, as far as logic is concerned, = 0% probable, ergo doesn't exist.

That's how I understand it, but happy to be corrected

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Tbh honest, "God" creating everything is just as unbelievable as a "big bang" doing so.
Maybe, just maybe they're both wrong...?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

We have evidence of the big bang though, and that the universe is expanding.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I have always thought that atheists saw no reason to believe in an interventionist deity whilst believers had faith that their specific version of one, probably not Thor or Zeus, does exist. Both are agnostics as none have actual knowledge of whether they are right; one has faith and the other applies a rational view based on an incomplete amount of information.

Another distinction could that an agnostic is an atheist who just wants to change the subject.

I always call myself an atheist if asked but as Dawkins says there is no real need for the word; there is no term for someone that doesn't believe in astrology.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If you can't be certain of disbelief in a story as ridiculous as God, with absolutely no evidence to support the completely wild religious claims, what can you be certain about?

If i told you i could fly for instance. I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it. So can you not say, for certain, that i can't?

Absolutely, this is spot on in my opinion, I have heard people say that you should not be an atheist as you cannot prove there 100% is not a God. Of course you can't but if you are pretty sure as there is **** all empirical evidence whatsoever then that is good enough to be honest. I consider Agnosticism to be fence sitting somewhat as surely you can come to a conclusion as to whether there is or is not evidence.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The logic is that a Creator, if he exists in a logical world, requires his own Creator to have been created in the first place, that Creator requires his own creator, and so on and so forth back through infinite levels. Therefore a Creator is infinitely improbable, which, as far as logic is concerned, = 0% probable, ergo doesn't exist.

You say it's impossible for a creator to create itself but you're happy to accept a universe creating itself. Genuine question - what's the difference?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Must admit I thought Agnostic V Atheist was a fight between two unknowns being bigged up as another unmissable title decider on Sky Sports during the current International Break. Either way Ricky Gervais is insufferable every time he opens his mouth!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Here's a thought, what about just accepting we don't know, just like we don't know what 95% of the universe is, we don't know what dark energy is increasing the speed of the universe's expansion, we don't know what 95% of the mass of the universe is, even though we know its there, we don't know. Why does not knowing have to have some irrational answer to fill the gap?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Or, as Carl Sagan puts it 'an agnostic is just an atheist that lacks the courage of their convictions'

I have the courage of my convictions. I must confess, I hadn't realised until now how much agnosticism annoys atheists but this thread is an eye-opener. I'm an agnostic and happy to admit it. I don't believe in an anthropomorphic deity but I don't rule out a force in the universe (cue Star Wars jokes) completely beyond our understanding that some interpret as God. And I'm perfectly happy and reconciled with that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

But that's completely straw man, as a load of things are assumed there, that may not be correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here