Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Agnostic vs Atheist

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Atheists and believers are the same - the both have an absolute faith in a position it's impossible to be certain about. Agnostics are the odd ones out.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm a Vegan and an Atheist, sometimes i don't know which one to bring up first.
7adebeb41884d909ecb3e3b9e5b29d06.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agnostics are attempting to stay on the fence just in case he does turn out to be real.
Upon death I'd love to find out god is real. I'd be so red-faced about all the things I've said (generally quite insulting) about the big guy. But would he care about the things I've said? If he is all powerful, and created everything, is he really so bloody insecure that he needs us all to praise him all the time? And is he going to punish me for eternity for, through no fault of my own, not believing in him? I wouldn't think so. Maybe he'd just give me a bunch of chores to do for a while.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Atheists and believers are the same - the both have an absolute faith in a position it's impossible to be certain about. Agnostics are the odd ones out.

I'm pretty sure Ricky Gervais has always described himself as an agnostic athiest in that he doesn't believe in a God but can't necessarily disprove it. This is pretty much where I stand - I'm as certain as I can be that there is no God (because it's patently ridiculous) but I can't prove that there isn't one in the same way that someone in believes in God can't prove to me that there is one. Frankly, as long as no one bothers me about their faith, or imposes laws based on religion or blows me up because of their beliefs then each to their own.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What clap trap. Atheists don't believe in God, but that doesn't mean at some point in the future, if some miracle should befall them, they won't accept his existence.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"If your'e agnostic about God, you have to be agnostic about fairies." - Ricky Gervais.
That's rubbish. Who is he to tell anyone what they have to believe? I could be atheist about God, a true believer in unicorns, but agnostic about pixies. I may have formed these opinions based on my own observations and experiences.
It's not rubbish at all. One of the definitions of agnostic is believing it's impossible to prove there is or isn't a god. From that point of view, it's also impossible to prove there are or aren't fairies.

Agnostic can also mean you are unsure whether or not there is a god, but that's not the definition Ricky is referring to in his joke.

Ricky Gervais is absolutely insufferable when it comes to religion- no idea how he's somehow become the poster boy for Atheism....there are many far more intelligent and knowledgable on the issue
What is there to be more knowledgeable about? Are you an atheist?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I wish there was a thumbs down button.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm pretty sure Ricky Gervais has always described himself as an agnostic athiest in that he doesn't believe in a God but can't necessarily disprove it. This is pretty much where I stand - I'm as certain as I can be that there is no God (because it's patently ridiculous) but I can't prove that there isn't one in the same way that someone in believes in God can't prove to me that there is one. Frankly, as long as no one bothers me about their faith, or imposes laws based on religion or blows me up because of their beliefs then each to their own.

Thats pretty much where I stand to an extent though I respect everyones opinions and belieifs if it cant be proved to me then I cant accept it therefore on the form I had to do I mark myself atheist but all to their own

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm an agnostic dyslexic. I'm not sure if there's a dog.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

If you can't be certain of disbelief in a story as ridiculous as God, with absolutely no evidence to support the completely wild religious claims, what can you be certain about?

If i told you i could fly for instance. I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it. So can you not say, for certain, that i can't?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What clap trap. Atheists don't believe in God, but that doesn't mean at some point in the future, if some miracle should befall them, they won't accept his existence.

Indeed .. One person believes something without good evidence (faith), one person doesn't believe in something until he/she gets good evidence ..

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove

That won't happen. Atheists don't believe in miracles either, so they will use rational thought to explain what has happened. So if he wants to prove his existence, he needs to step-up his game.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
“As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one can prove that there is not a God. On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think that I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because, when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.”
― Bertrand Russell

Beautifully put.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tbh honest, "God" creating everything is just as unbelievable as a "big bang" doing so.
Maybe, just maybe they're both wrong...?

The big bang could be wrong, that is the beauty of science, there is great joy in proving something wrong and discovering a new theory. There is no blind faith in the big bang, it is just our best theory based on the collected data, experiments and observations to date.

Not sure what data, experiments and observations on God creating everything are but there you go.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Gervais really isnt the poster boy for atheism, he just continually gets asked about it in the US especially, he is a huge science fan

I did find one answer of his amusing though, there are over 3000 gods he said .... so I believe in 1 less than you do... you dont beleive in 2999 of the others etc

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
It's not rubbish at all. One of the definitions of agnostic is believing it's impossible to prove there is or isn't a god. From that point of view, it's also impossible to prove there are or aren't fairies.

Well that is completely wrong. There is common agreement that it is impossible to prove there is or isn't a god, regardless of whether you are atheist, agnostic or believer. That's the one thing they all agree on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here