Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Is that Stockdale of last season or Stockdale when he arrived from Fulham?

Stockdale of last season.

Comparing him to any other keeper who played two games is pointless. Ryan has come in to replace stockdale. He is meant to be of the same level, if not better based on his pedigree. So far he's not cut the mustard.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That's nonsense. Lewis Dunk's bullet header at his own goal from point blank range had a lot to do with the first one. Only a goalkeeper with Inspector Gadget arms could have cut out yesterday's corner, and if he hadn't got a hand on the header no-one would even be talking about it.

So that leaves 1 mistake. I'd be interested to see some different replays of the shot that came off him because it looked like it might have gone through Dunk's legs right in front of him. In which case he's be seriously unsighted.

I'm not saying I've been impressed so far, but people are looking for ridiculous faults.

He made some very good saves against Atletico and his kicking was better than Stockdale's, so maybe cutting him some slack would be more helpful, 2 games into the season.

Every time I look at their second goal from yesterday, the worse it looks. He makes no attempt to come for the cross or punch it away and a better (or just a taller) keeper would have palmed it over the bar. It really does look very poor. And, yes, he should have done better with Dunk's header against City too. Of course you can't say he is the only one to blame but a better keeper would have prevented both those goals and of course yesterday's opener.

BN1Matty

Aug 19, 2017
Every time I look at their second goal from yesterday, the worse it looks. He makes no attempt to come for the cross or punch it away and a better (or just a taller) keeper would have palmed it over the bar. It really does look very poor. And, yes, he should have done better with Dunk's header against City too. Of course you can't say he is the only one to blame but a better keeper would have prevented both those goals and of course yesterday's opener.

Couldn't agree more Kevo, 3 mistakes in 3 games. None of us want him to do badly but his mistakes have been costly

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Couldn't agree more Kevo, 3 mistakes in 3 games. None of us want him to do badly but his mistakes have been costly

I agree. I am willing him to do well and I really hope he turns it round. I must admit I was very disappointed the club didn'd do more to keep Stockdale.

BN1Matty

Aug 19, 2017
I agree. I am willing him to do well and I really hope he turns it round. I must admit I was very disappointed the club didn'd do more to keep Stockdale.

Would love him to turn it around, but we need to keep an eye on another keeper I feel. Stockdale was offered a one year contract on 10k per week

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
It's only been 2 games. It's the Premier League ffs. I have been very impressed with the Huddersfield GK though. He seems a top class find but they have played P***** and Newcastle so not exactly comparable fixtures

BN1Matty

Aug 19, 2017
Premier League or not he has still had two poor games. Huddersfield keeper kept them in the game today.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010

Maybe Dunk should have not conceded the needless corner in the first place though, the ball was going out of play on its own. It's easy to make someone a scapegoat for most goals but I am confident he will only get sharper and better

BN1Matty

Aug 19, 2017
I hope your correct, but I personally believe he cant cope with the pressure of the PL. I would give him a start against Barnet and hope he gets a clean sheet to boast his confidence.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
DS last season was far better than when he arrived and I think had he stayed he would have been on the fringe of a possible England call up but for whatever reason, and none of us know that, he was allowed to leave and join Harry. We can only assume it was financial lead knowing how Harry and Rosie do business,.

Stockdale made it quite clear why he left in an interview for Sky Sports, which was reported in the Argus recently (just been trying to find it online). He said it was about putting his family first. He wanted a long contract so his family wouldn't have to move around, particularly because his daughter would have exams coming up in a few years. The club wasn't prepared to offer him a long contract, so that is why he decided to leave.

This is a false economy in my book. OK, the club didn't want to put him on a long contract in case they wanted to replace him after a year or so. But it would have cost a lot less than taking the risk of buying a new keeper who is something of an unknown quantity for £5m.

The only conclusion is that it was for football reasons. They wanted a keeper who could play the sweeper role and has better distribution. What we need most of all, though, is one that can command his box, have a good understanding with his defenders, and stops shots and headers!

The club has made a big mistake in my view, but let's see how Ryan does over the next few games. Maybe he's got all his mistakes out of the way early doors...?! Let's hope so.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Anybody who watched that game and came out of it thinking we lost because of Maty Ryan is a ****ing imbecile.

We deserved to lose the match, we were woeful, still way off the pace of this league and utterly toothless in forward areas. If ever there was a game to make a couple of errors in (I personally thought he made only one) then it was this, we had less hope of getting anything out this game than the week prior.

It beggars belief that this thread is still ongoing as if our new GK is the main reason that we have 0 points from 2 (yes 2) PL games. Yes, if he performed an 8/9 out of 10 we maybe could have sneaked a point, but that's just conjecture. In my opinion Leicester had another gear, maybe two. If we actually gave them a game and he made the error which cost us then I could understand and relate to the cause for complaint.

Also, let's assume for a moment that he does turn out to be a flop, to the dick heads infering he is a waste of money for 5M - Stockdale would have probably cost not too far shy of that if we are to believe the fee Brum supposedly paid him, plus I think Ryan is probably on a lesser salary.

Utterly embarassing thread. He needs backing, as do the rest of our new signings whose glaring errors are overlooked because they haven't (but easily could have) resulted in conceding.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Absolutely joke of a signing. I've said this from day one. Keepers need to be well over 6 foot. What were the recruitment team thinking ?

This will go down as one of the biggest f.u.c.k. ups in our history due to it being our record signing at the time. The sooner he is dropped the better.

Height faces F all difference! In the two memorable F ups he hasn't been beaten for height. Both were straight at him! One he let through his arms, the other he parried back to the opposition striker who was 3-4 yards out.

For balance, he made a worldy of a save from that Jesus header. The bottom line is that being over 6 foot wouldn't have made a difference. A 5'5" player should have made the saves Ryan cocked up.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Height faces F all difference! In the two memorable F ups he hasn't been beaten for height. Both were straight at him! One he let through his arms, the other he parried back to the opposition striker who was 3-4 yards out.

For balance, he made a worldy of a save from that Jesus header. The bottom line is that being over 6 foot wouldn't have made a difference. A 5'5" player should have made the saves Ryan cocked up.

I think a taller keeper would have stopped Leicester's second either by coming out and claiming the ball or tipping it over the bar. Agree, his save against Jesus was excellent and he got a great reaction from the crowd for that. I do think fans are willing him to do well, but are also worried by what we've seen so far.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I think a taller keeper would have stopped Leicester's second either by coming out and claiming the ball or tipping it over the bar. Agree, his save against Jesus was excellent and he got a great reaction from the crowd for that. I do think fans are willing him to do well, but are also worried by what we've seen so far.

Height and decision making are two different things. Even if he came for the second, doesn't mean he would have got the ball. Besides, we were already 1-0 down because of the error with the first. That was the key error for me. It's a cardinal sin for a keeper to parry a shot back into the 6 yard box. Yes the 2nd goal buried us but arguably, if we didnt concede in the first minute, out game plan for the first half would have been more offensive.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

A panzer tank wouldn't have claimed that ball in front of those bodies, and it would have been a worldy of a save for any keeper to have tipped that over the bar or even parried it. It's a header from 4 yards ffs.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That is what I blame use your bare hands as in the old days.
This. In the old days a decent keeper could feel the ball on his hands and use his fingers to grab hold of it. Modern day goalies might as well be wearing boxing gloves for the amount of balls they catch. Someone should suggest to Maty Ryan that he tries a game or two nor wearing gloves. Unless it is raining in which case he should find a pair of those green cotton gardening gloves that Peter Bonetti used to wear on wet days.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anybody who watched that game and came out of it thinking we lost because of Maty Ryan is a ****ing imbecile.

We deserved to lose the match, we were woeful, still way off the pace of this league and utterly toothless in forward areas. If ever there was a game to make a couple of errors in (I personally thought he made only one) then it was this, we had less hope of getting anything out this game than the week prior.

It beggars belief that this thread is still ongoing as if our new GK is the main reason that we have 0 points from 2 (yes 2) PL games. Yes, if he performed an 8/9 out of 10 we maybe could have sneaked a point, but that's just conjecture. In my opinion Leicester had another gear, maybe two. If we actually gave them a game and he made the error which cost us then I could understand and relate to the cause for complaint.

Also, let's assume for a moment that he does turn out to be a flop, to the dick heads infering he is a waste of money for 5M - Stockdale would have probably cost not too far shy of that if we are to believe the fee Brum supposedly paid him, plus I think Ryan is probably on a lesser salary.

Utterly embarassing thread. He needs backing, as do the rest of our new signings whose glaring errors are overlooked because they haven't (but easily could have) resulted in conceding.

I like that you've come out swinging

But the fact remains that a totally routine save after 52 seconds WOULD have given us a very good chance of getting a foothold in a game that I think we looked very capable of getting something from. But he failed to make that routine save, hence we were playing catchup from the off. I'd agree there were other failings throughout the team the contributed to what turned into an insipid defeat, but the root of that loss was sown in the first minute.

I'm not going to slaughter the guy, its far too early. But he needs to step his game up, because at the moment he is not instilling confidence. And its one thing for the fans to get the willies, but if his back 4 gets that feeling too, then Houston...we have a problem.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

But the fact remains that a totally routine save after 52 seconds WOULD have given us a very good chance of getting a foothold in a game that I think we looked very capable of getting something from. But he failed to make that routine save, hence we were playing catchup from the off. I'd agree there were other failings throughout the team the contributed to what turned into an insipid defeat, but the root of that loss was sown in the first minute.

I'm not going to slaughter the guy, its far too early. But he needs to step his game up, because at the moment he is not instilling confidence. And its one thing for the fans to get the willies, but if his back 4 gets that feeling too, then Houston...we have a problem.

Agree with this totally.

These errors remind me of that Scottish keeper we brought in whilst we were at the Withdean (forgotten his name). Fingers crossed this is just Ryan dealing with nerves at the moment, if not, then this could be the sequel to that Scottish keeper who was a complete disaster for us.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

You seem convinced it would have changed the outcome of the game. That's fair enough, and I agree it was a routine save that should have been held or at the very least parried to relative safety.

Me personally, I struggle to see how this would have altered the trajectory of the game and prevented our loose touches, poor simple passes and rushed one-touch play. Particularly the latter which normally you might say 'ah, that was unlucky, I can see what we were trying to do there', but instead indicative of nobody actually wanting the ****ing ball and getting rid as soon as they could. We're playing with a massive amount of FEAR and enormous amount of respect for our opposition and I can't imagine being 1-0 down to a GK error is the sole cause of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here