Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renegotiating Sky deal

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
That's interesting, why is live chat better?

Sky employees on live chat(tend to be overseas) are giving more scope to get customers to sign new deals than your average Joe on the phone. How true that is not sure. I do my deals via live chat. Much much easier to negotiate a deal.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You can have the virgin package without land line.
He mentioned that but said I wouldn't get discounts if I removed it, it's a lot of money but I guess worth it when you need to call these companies up! I've been moved to player TV 50mb which is their equivalent to freeview

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I tried this with Sky a while ago being encouraged by a similar thread on here

They immediately put me through to a gruff sounding Scotsman in 'cancellation' who said to let him know when I wanted to end my services and he'd book it straight in. I backed down pretty quickly. As a result, Murdoch is screwing £120ish out of me a month for phone, full TV package and mediocre broadband

I'll try again in the new year as my box, dish etc seem to be failing and they wouldn't even entertain a renewal of all that.

I must be a soft touch on the phone!

They've called your bluff. I guarantee if you'd said "give me minimum notice" I've got a better deal elsewhere. They'd have caved in. Why wouldn't they..if you paid them a fiver it's a fiver they wouldn't get if you left. Your using Sky isn't costing them anything! You push hard enough you could save yourself £500 per annum. :)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I'll be moving when I get home, so a good time to cancel Sky all together then look around & see what works best. Freeview will keep me going for a while; the main thing to get sorted will be internet which I'll probably stick with BT for, unless anyone suggests a better idea?

biddles911

May 12, 2014
They've called your bluff. I guarantee if you'd said "give me minimum notice" I've got a better deal elsewhere. They'd have caved in. Why wouldn't they..if you paid them a fiver it's a fiver they wouldn't get if you left. Your using Sky isn't costing them anything! You push hard enough you could save yourself £500 per annum. :)

Don't think it's a guaranteed climb down by Sky unless their policy has changed.

I had a real spat with them a couple of years ago as I realised that I'd been overpaying after moving home (about £100).

Went through their useless customer service to try to get some proportion of it back (it was partly my fault) but they were totally unmoved even after I went to Virgin.

Went back very quickly when I realised Virgin didn't have some of my favourite channels (e.g. Sky Atlantic) and eventually got a smallish refund but it was very hard work for little reward and I've always thought I was pretty good at these sorts of negotiations.

Don't want to discourage people trying and I might give it a go again myself but you need to be pretty certain what the alternatives are and what you might lose if they don't cave in.

You can always go back of course but do you want to risk missing episodes of Game of Thrones in the meantime!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Don't think it's a guaranteed climb down by Sky unless their policy has changed.

I had a real spat with them a couple of years ago as I realised that I'd been overpaying after moving home (about £100).

Went through their useless customer service to try to get some proportion of it back (it was partly my fault) but they were totally unmoved even after I went to Virgin.

Went back very quickly when I realised Virgin didn't have some of my favourite channels (e.g. Sky Atlantic) and eventually got a smallish refund but it was very hard work for little reward and I've always thought I was pretty good at these sorts of negotiations.

Don't want to discourage people trying and I might give it a go again myself but you need to be pretty certain what the alternatives are and what you might lose if they don't cave in.

You can always go back of course but do you want to risk missing episodes of Game of Thrones in the meantime!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well reading through the posts on this thread, it might appear that it depends who is actually on the other end of the phone, how much you can squeeze them. I did, after some haggling and advising that I was transferring to TalkTalk, manage to knock about £30 a month off. But by going back to TalkTalk and thanking them for their offer and telling them I was staying with a Sky, as they had reduced my bill. They (TalkTalk) transferred me to another dept, went through the whole thing again, and they further dropped their already great deal by £17. So I accepted, I cancelled Sky...they were polite, thanked me, told me I would be welcome back whenever. And my Sky account would cease in about 28days.
But having done all that, Sky still came back at me, about a week or perhaps less before my agreement with them finished, offering me half price on something? They were so keen to keep me in fact, that when I told them I had already contracted to TT they said that would be okay and that they would cancel it for me.
All in all, it's a great time to move things around, they are all getting ultra competitive, which is great for us customers....But you need to take it to the edge. :thumbsup:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Bouncing this thread as I've just kicked this process off. I've been meaning to do it for years as my Sky bills have just been slowly but frequently creeping up but never had the impetus to do so. Now I have as I'm moving home.

Currently I have Sky TV entertainment, boxsets and sport in HD. Broadband top package as I need a static IP for work. Phone and line rental which I don't use. My Sky bill is ~£125 a month. I also have BT Sport bolted on which when I signed up 2 years ago was £13 a month It's now £26.99 a month. So roughly £150 a month.

Spoke to Sky and the best they could offer me was £94 a month for 12 months with no fee for moving. Told them to poke it as that is still too much money and reading this thread and speaking to pals who've done the same I feel sure they will be back in touch with a better offer than that. She also told me that if I do cancel then I will be treated as a new customer at the new address and the new customer offers are certainly better than that.

BT offered a lot better discount 50% basically so I'm now paying £12.99 a month so I've decided to keep them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bouncing this thread as I've just kicked this process off. I've been meaning to do it for years as my Sky bills have just been slowly but frequently creeping up but never had the impetus to do so. Now I have as I'm moving home.

Currently I have Sky TV entertainment, boxsets and sport in HD. Broadband top package as I need a static IP for work. Phone and line rental which I don't use. My Sky bill is ~£125 a month. I also have BT Sport bolted on which when I signed up 2 years ago was £13 a month It's now £26.99 a month. So roughly £150 a month.

Spoke to Sky and the best they could offer me was £94 a month for 12 months with no fee for moving. Told them to poke it as that is still too much money and reading this thread and speaking to pals who've done the same I feel sure they will be back in touch with a better offer than that. She also told me that if I do cancel then I will be treated as a new customer at the new address and the new customer offers are certainly better than that.

BT offered a lot better discount 50% basically so I'm now paying £12.99 a month so I've decided to keep them.

Keep us posted, watching with interest. My package is £120 a month too and need to do something.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Keep us posted, watching with interest. My package is £120 a month too and need to do something.

If you can get Virgin media at your address that is a good bargaining tool to use.

Call Virgin and tell them you are a SKY customer but their prices are too high and you are cancelling, see what they can offer, then go back to SKY tell them what you have been offered and say that you want it matched otherwise you are off. If they don't at least match it, then cancel there and then, near your end date you will most likely get a call/letter from SKY asking you to stay with a big discount.

SKY/Virgin are as bad as each other in wringing the last penny out of customers but the one most important fact is they want YOU as their customer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you can get Virgin media at your address that is a good bargaining tool to use.

Call Virgin and tell them you are a SKY customer but their prices are too high and you are cancelling, see what they can offer, then go back to SKY tell them what you have been offered and say that you want it matched otherwise you are off. If they don't at least match it, then cancel there and then, near your end date you will most likely get a call/letter from SKY asking you to stay with a big discount.

SKY/Virgin are as bad as each other in wringing the last penny out of customers but the one most important fact is they want YOU as their customer.

I was a very happy virgin customer for 10 years. Unfortunately I live in a new build small development and Virgin stop about 10meters from my house. We've all applied for Virgin to extend their network but hasn't happened yet and no date.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Same here, unfortunately no Virgin Media available here so don't have the same bargaining power (and they'll know that) but paying about 150/mth currently fro everything from Sky including broadband pro

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
that was the same as we were paying using customer services by phone I have reduced ours to just over £80 until October,we will have another go at them then
good luck

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Moving soon also and currently paying 120 a month. Be interested to see how this goes

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Dumped Sky for Virgin yesterday. All in for £57.25, Movies, Sports, etc., etc.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I was a very happy virgin customer for 10 years. Unfortunately I live in a new build small development and Virgin stop about 10meters from my house. We've all applied for Virgin to extend their network but hasn't happened yet and no date.

They will wait for BT to lay fibre I would guess

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here