Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ftfy. please do remember that the bankers you so detest also underpinned most the economic growth in most of the previous decade.

Absolute total nonsense. Do you just make these statements up? From 98 to 2008 the finance sector contributed 6 to 8 percent of the nation's GDP. 8% is not "most".

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Tony Blair was a liar - Who knew ? You have yet to provide any evidence that the EU migrants have had a negative effect on wages.

You are demonstrating a woeful lack of understanding about supply and demand in any labour market if you think that there has been no detrimental effect on wages by opening up the UK to the rest of the EU.

If you think that the period where Labour oversaw unprecedented immigration into the UK was so positive for the British people, Ed Miliband would surely be defending their record wouldn't he?

He and Labour don't, and far from it. During last night's debate, and as with Labour's regulation of the banks, yesterday he said "we were wrong".

That's all the evidence that is needed.

As for whether he and the Labour Party have learnt the lesson, I am no so sure........

http://ceftus.org/2012/07/04/message-from-ed-miliband/

I will look forward to you and Ed explaining how the British people will benefit from Turkey's acessation to the EU, no doubt I will read about it in the Manifesto and Ed will share this with the electorate in the run up to 5 May.

If it was positive he will, no?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Whereas that well know Trot rag the Torygraph says wages have fallen post 2008 and all the other evidence shows wages rising from 1999 to 2007. Therefore the fall in wages came after the Bankers screwed the economy not when new EU migrants arrived in 2004.
Wind your neck in, even Labour acknowledge that entry level hourly rates are not improving, because there us a glut of EU migrants willing and able to work at that level.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Absolute total nonsense. Do you just make these statements up? From 98 to 2008 the finance sector contributed 6 to 8 percent of the nation's GDP. 8% is not "most".

11.6% and employed 1.2 million people in 2012, underpinning the economy means lending money for businesses to grow and prosper.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
11.6% and employed 1.2 million people in 2012, underpinning the economy means lending money for businesses to grow and prosper.

I was addressing beorthelm's comment which was about the decade prior to the recession. But even using your figure, 11.2 is still not most is it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I was addressing beorthelm's comment which was about the decade prior to the recession. But even using your figure, 11.2 is still not most is it?

I'm not entering this debate because, frankly, I have no idea but you've missed the point twice now as you keep referencing absolute terms, when the initial comment was about growth.

It is perfectly possible for a relatively small sector in absolute terms to be responsible for most growth over a defined period of time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
S
I'm not entering this debate because, frankly, I have no idea but you've missed the point twice now as you keep referencing absolute terms, when the initial comment was about growth.

It is perfectly possible for a relatively small sector in absolute terms to be responsible for most growth over a defined period of time.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/qb110304.pdf

Chart 2 shows the figures I quoted. And the chart shows "share of GDP accounted for." I took this to be both direct and indirect value to the Uk ie the overall contribution to the UK's economic activity and not the the simple flat absolute figure. If you look at the paragraph below it even talks about this. I understand banks and hard cash do ultimately underpin business, but there are many other factors which also increase growth and have a financial value attached to them when arriving at growth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
S

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/qb110304.pdf

Chart 2 shows the figures I quoted. And the chart shows "share of GDP accounted for." I took this to be both direct and indirect value to the Uk ie the overall contribution to the UK's economic activity and not the the simple flat absolute figure. If you look at the paragraph below it even talks about this. I understand banks and hard cash do ultimately underpin business, but there are many other factors which also increase growth and have a financial value attached to them when arriving at growth.

So, no matter what the economy was doing, growing or contracting, the financial sector was at most only ever contributing a total of 8% to it.

This said, I did once get turned down for a job at ONS.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

if i said the Finance sector contributed most of GDP that would indeed be nonsense. i did not say that. the activity of the bankers, with lose monetary policy and relaxed regulation, lit a fire under the economy. meanwhile Brown overspent thinking he had the economic cycle under control.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if i said the Finance sector contributed most of GDP that would indeed be nonsense. i did not say that. the activity of the bankers, with lose monetary policy and relaxed regulation, lit a fire under the economy. meanwhile Brown overspent thinking he had the economic cycle under control.

ftfy. please do remember that the bankers you so detest also underpinned most the economic growth in most of the previous decade.

GDP has long been held as a measure of growth. Care to explain?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
sure: GDP and growth are not the same thing.

Obviously. But growth is a simple function of GDP. Either the absolute difference or percent change. My point was that, at most, the finance sector was only ever contributing 8% to the economy during the period you stated. So, no matter which direction the economy was going, growth or contraction, it was only ever contributing 8% at most.

Maybe you can fully explain and reference your information?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Managed to get in ahead of [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] with this one. Phew.

Latest Populus VI: Lab 33 (-), Con 31 (-), LD 9 (-), UKIP 16 (-), Greens 5 (-), Others 6 (-).

And this:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/27/london-labour-gains-general-election-poll

As stated on here many times, it's the marginals that matter as to who ends up as the largest party. Most of the polling information on this still favours Labour.

:lolol:

Have a great weekend everyone.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Thought I would just put it out in the open and get it off my chest....

Labour are a watered down version of the tories who are going to sell us down the river making a pact with the SNP and that worries me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thought I would just put it out in the open and get it off my chest....

Labour are a watered down version of the tories who are going to sell us down the river making a pact with the SNP and that worries me.

If the nation doesn't want this then vote against it.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Managed to get in ahead of [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] with this one. Phew.

Latest Populus VI: Lab 33 (-), Con 31 (-), LD 9 (-), UKIP 16 (-), Greens 5 (-), Others 6 (-).

And this:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/27/london-labour-gains-general-election-poll

As stated on here many times, it's the marginals that matter as to who ends up as the largest party. Most of the polling information on this still favours Labour.

Oh the Guardian. Well I never!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here