Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente.....wow

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Surprised you managed to cobble together 5 minutes of highlights, albeit a lot of slow mo replays. Quality player that barely contributed any points for us.

You really should post more----are you palarse:moo:

3years 8 months 125 posts ------ you are palarse :cheery:

Last edited:

Feb 21, 2009
I was gutted when the club shop had sold out of the Derby and Portsmouth home DVD's, by chance does anyone wish to sell or produce a copy of these, for a nominal fee, bet there would be lots of takers!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Vicente was the sort of footballer you dream of becoming, he had the ability to match your dreams, for that alone it was a privilege to have him at our club.

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
At home to derby was the best single player performance I have ever seen for the albion. Flawless

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did you never go to a game and pray that Vicente would be fit and on the bench or even starting?

Don't you have any soul?

Yes, especially when it proved kevtherev wrong. Did he ever go up & down the pier with his kitchen table, singing My Old Man's a Dustman?

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Don't get the obsession he was always injured and pretty average for us anyway

If he was pretty average, your wife must be stunning..............

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Yes, especially when it proved kevtherev wrong. Did he ever go up & down the pier with his kitchen table, singing My Old Man's a Dustman?

Hahahahah! Brilliant, I'd forgotten that. Talk about a grossly distended scrotum.......

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Spurs didn't win once in Gareth Bale's first 24 appearances for them. He must be rubbish.

No one ever said Vicente was rubbish. What is said it that we played better without him in the team than him in it, despite the fact that he was our best player at the time.

Plus, Gareth Bale's situation is completely different. The defender that joined Spurs was completely different to the winger/forward that left them several years later. He came under a lot of criticism early in his Spurs career. But by the time he left the club those stats were reversed. The team couldn't seem to win unless he did play. In is final season at Spurs they relied on him heavily. Did we ever rely on Vicente in such a way?

I've never understood that argument.

In over 20 years of watching football, I've never seen or heard it used as a way of rating a player, yet every time Vicente is mentioned there it is.

Very odd, and to my mind missing the point entirely as per the Danny Blachflower quote already posted.

You never understood the argument that, as a team, some people think we played better without Vicente than with him? I think that's a pretty easy and logical point to understand. The stats are merely used to illustrate that point. I've seen stats used in such a way many times over the years. People always bring those types of stats out when debating whether the national team is better with or without Rooney, for example.

Maybe to your mind missing the point, but to my mind I prefer a team to be playing well collectively and consequently wins games (and in an entertaining way, too), rather than simply watching an individual strut his stuff to the detriment to the team as a whole. I found it incredibly frustrating. The whole plan seemed to be, 'give it to Vicente and see what happens'. Regardless of results, I remember how we played without Vicente in the team and how we played with him in it. Personally, I was more entertained when he didn't play. After all, football is a team sport. That's why paying loads of money for the best individuals on the planet doesn't always work out for the big teams, or why the Lampard/Gerrard combination never worked. Though for the rare games that we won when Vicente did play, generally we were outstanding and some of my best experiences ever of watching football.

If I recall correctly, in our first season in the Championship, Vicente's return to the team at the end of the season coincided with an 8 game spell without a win when we went from looking like dead certs for the play-offs, to 10th and missing out. It's not like we played amazing when Vicente played and we were desperately unlucky with results. It's simply that, in my opinion, as a team, we played better without him.

I want to watch entertaining players, yes, but it has to be entertainment with purpose. Give me a Zamora every time. With him in the team, collectively, we were outstanding - the consequence of which was loads of success.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
At home to derby was the best single player performance I have ever seen for the albion. Flawless

KLL was not far behind him that night either.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I could be wrong, but I've a feeling that he was not even given MotM that night. Lualua I think.

As for the best individual performance EVER, I think that was Razak's debut. Utterly imperious. Shame it was his only decent game.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I'm with Seagulls4ever on this one. The team were generally shit when he played, bar a handful of occasions. Beyond the goal at Ipswich and the performances vs Derby and Pompey I doubt anyone can remember any stand out moments.

Undoubtedly a wonderfuly talented player but didn't deliver at the Albion, some people are getting carried away because we're now supposed to be getting excited by the likes of Dale Stephens instead.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I could be wrong, but I've a feeling that he was not even given MotM that night. Lualua I think.

As for the best individual performance EVER, I think that was Razak's debut. Utterly imperious. Shame it was his only decent game.

Razak has just signed for Doncaster Rovers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All of this love for THAT Derby match (not to be confused with any other match v Derby), has got me confused.

I've now convinced myself it was also that game the Albion set up the biggest ever offside trap.

Say it isn't so.
Shirley you can't distil the whole stadium experience into Buckley, 9 men, v Derby and St Paddy's day.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I always thought that too. Everyone seemed too scared to do their thing when he was on the pitch. They seemed too in awe of him.

Gutted that the Derby home game was one of the few home games I missed that season though.....

My impression was that everyone could see how skilled he was and became critical when he didnt glide pass three players and smash the ball in the net every time he had the ball. Totally unrealistic expectations.

I remember Ian Dowies reaction on Sky Sports when it came through we had signed Vicente, after initial disbelief he stated that this was the major signing of the transfer window.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here