• Ruel Fox

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Total voters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No - stopped doing them years ago.

Silly German tradition that is bad for the environment.

Happy 'winter holiday' to you too. Do you have kids ? Not sure how my artificial tree, made from recycled stuff according to the box, is bad for the environment but do carry on..........

A week/ 10 days before Christmas for us, taken down on twelfth night

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Colleague of mine has put hers up already. Says it's because the stepson is coming to stay next weekend. I'm pretty sure he will be over to stay again before Christmas, but nonetheless, they seem to feel it's the thing to do.

Me, I bloody love Christmas & all that goes with it, but even I won't put one up until December. November always drags for me because I'm looking forward to putting mine up :lol:

Incidentally, I'm even more excited about it this year because, having just moved house, this will be the first time I've ever got a real tree (but not until DECEMBER). Anybody care to advise me on a good place to buy a Christmas tree? Somebody did say avoid the garden centres & go for one of the tree farms dotted around the place. Trouble is, I don't know any. I live in Mid Sussex, for what it's worth, so all sensible suggestions gratefully welcomed :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How does 12 days after Christmas work out as the 27th? ???

Because the old tradition was twelve after, yet, we are like a lot of people who look to take the decks and tree down as soon as Christmas has finished...hence my dates .

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My birthday is a week before Christmas, and as a kid, I always insisted to my folks that it should be up by then, though I seem to recall it being a close run thing at times. Pretty sure they put it up earlier than that these days. But still not NOVEMBER.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Or 12 days before the 25th being the 19th?

If anyone wanted to keep with the old Christmas tradition, the 12 days are after sunset on Christmas Eve to 6th Jan, aka 12th night.

As much as I love getting my tree up in good time for the Winter festivities there is NOTHING more depressing than seeing the tree still up as you trounce back to work depressed at the beginning of January. For that reason my tree will be down by 3rd.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It goes up the week before Christmas in my house. Comes down New Years Eve morning. By then Christmas is well and truly over, only one more hangover to go until life blissfully returns to normality.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Anyone who puts it up in November is a complete c**t in my eyes!!

I see Scotland Yard have put their tree up already.

As for mine, time is going fast, and as it is only 2 Leeds managers until Christmas I am starting to look around with a view to buying one, but my erection will not happen until at least a week before Xmas day.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
No - stopped doing them years ago.

Silly German tradition that is bad for the environment.

Philosophically, I agree. In practice however, with an 8 year old and a missus who is already planning when to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and all the other old guff that comes out, I have no choice but to tolerate the artificial tree going up 1st December. I used to insist on a real tree, but to keep it alive during the year in the garden and reusing it - the last one saw 4 uses before even I felt it looked a bit ropey (then the artificial one came in).

I can't be doing with the religious mumbo jumbo though. She goes for advent candles and other wastes of money like advent calendars. I'm all for a slap up meal and merry making in the depths of winter and all, but don't let's get sidetracked with all that malarky. Just an excuse for "Capitalism" to try to get us to empty our pockets on a load of old tat, nowadays.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just received my first Christmas card today from Augustus in Accounts.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It goes up the week before Christmas in my house. Comes down New Years Eve morning. By then Christmas is well and truly over, only one more hangover to go until life blissfully returns to normality.

New Years day evening it comes down for us, but that's a good 6 weeks use we've got out of it, anything after the 1st January is overkill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here