Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Introduce a Personal Favourite Album of Yours

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would like the introduce '5ive' by '5ive'.

This seminal album saw the 5 boys burst into the pop charts and take Europe by storm. With slow ballads such as Until the Time is Through, alongside more upbeat rap tracks like Slam Dunk Da Funk, there really is a sense of light and shade in this album. The summer vibes of Everybody Get Up and the harmonic tones of It's the Things You Do really show the versatility of the vocal talents in the group.

I would give this album a solid 5ive star review.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Is it?? It's usually mentioned in the top 5 or 10 of the all time greatest albums.

I think fair to say it's a much over-looked album, yes. Is it usually mentioned in top 5-10? No it's not. If you look at the those top 10/100 albums of all time lists, it actually appears very infrequently. One mention by NME but in others, doesn't even make the top 100.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8
http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/nme-staff-pick-their-top-10-greatest-albums-of-all-time
http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=8&f=&fv=&orderby=Rank&sortdir=asc&page=1
http://www.besteveralbums.com/topratedstats.php?o=album

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No. 3

Lift To Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads

Released: 2001
Label: Bella Union
For Fans Of: My Bloody Valentine, Explosions In The Sky, Jeff Buckley, Slint
Reccomended Tracks: Just as Was Told, Falling From Cloud 9, Into The Storm

The odds were stacked against this one from the start. The concept for the record is frankly ludicrous/brilliant depending on your viewpoint, it being a biblical concept record about the Texan apocolypse. By the time of the record's release the band were all but done as a going concern. The record itself is an endurance testing 90+ minutes long with the closing Into The Storm clocking in a smidgen under half an hour. Yet it's cult endures and expands with each year.

The reason? It's unique. Not that it was hugely groundbreaking but no-one before or since has taken My Bloody Valentine levels of fuzz, Jeff Buckley "voice of an angel" vocals, Explosions In The Sky's chiming melodic guitars and Slint's mastery of the loud/quiet post-rock dynamic and mixed it all together.

Leader Josh T Person now releases solo in a vastly different guise and whilst not to my taste, his Last of The Country Gentlemen LP impressed many people.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I would like the introduce '5ive' by '5ive'.

This seminal album saw the 5 boys burst into the pop charts and take Europe by storm. With slow ballads such as Until the Time is Through, alongside more upbeat rap tracks like Slam Dunk Da Funk, there really is a sense of light and shade in this album. The summer vibes of Everybody Get Up and the harmonic tones of It's the Things You Do really show the versatility of the vocal talents in the group.

I would give this album a solid 5ive star review.

Are you [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION] 's second account?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No. 3

Lift To Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads

Released: 2001
Label: Bella Union
For Fans Of: My Bloody Valentine, Explosions In The Sky, Jeff Buckley, Slint
Reccomended Tracks: Just as Was Told, Falling From Cloud 9, Into The Storm

The odds were stacked against this one from the start. The concept for the record is frankly ludicrous/brilliant depending on your viewpoint, it being a biblical concept record about the Texan apocolypse. By the time of the record's release the band were all but done as a going concern. The record itself is an endurance testing 90+ minutes long with the closing Into The Storm clocking in a smidgen under half an hour. Yet it's cult endures and expands with each year.

The reason? It's unique. Not that it was hugely groundbreaking but no-one before or since has taken My Bloody Valentine levels of fuzz, Jeff Buckley "voice of an angel" vocals, Explosions In The Sky's chiming melodic guitars and Slint's mastery of the loud/quiet post-rock dynamic and mixed it all together.

Leader Josh T Person now releases solo in a vastly different guise and whilst not to my taste, his Last of The Country Gentlemen LP impressed many people.

Have really gone off this, but he was great at The Freebutt if you saw that. I also managed to fall asleep at a Lift to Experience gig. By the speakers. Drunk.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Many moons ago as a spiky haired teenager I was introduced to a band called Cardiacs by a guy I knew from school a bit older than me who I thought was really cool.

I went to see them a lot around then (1989-1991) and they were brilliant live. Big performance type thing. They were a bit odd, and were quite disliked by the indie press.

Musically they are a bit disjointed but I still go back and listen to their album 'A little man and a house and the whole world window' sometimes. The man behind them Tim Smith suffered a stroke I think and is parlaysed now the last heard. I think they even ended up in Brighton.

Anyway, I always thought they deserved more respect

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Many moons ago as a spiky haired teenager I was introduced to a band called Cardiacs by a guy I knew from school a bit older than me who I thought was really cool.

I went to see them a lot around then (1989-1991) and they were brilliant live. Big performance type thing. They were a bit odd, and were quite disliked by the indie press.

Musically they are a bit disjointed but I still go back and listen to their album 'A little man and a house and the whole world window' sometimes. The man behind them Tim Smith suffered a stroke I think and is parlaysed now the last heard. I think they even ended up in Brighton.

Anyway, I always thought they deserved more respect

You saved me the bother!

Sing To God is a masterpiece as well.

Get well soon Tim.

Gives me an excuse to post this though.

EDIT: Tim Smith's stroke was immediately after one of the My Bloody Valentine reunion shows at The Roundhouse, fact fans.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for the film tip :thumbsup:
His entire output is brilliant, though I prefer his eponymous album, along with Either/Or and XO best. Was very fragile live, but could be brilliant -- especially when covering 'I'm So Tired'.

I got into Elliott a bit late - my girlfriend linked me to 'A Fond Farewell' and i loved it, so went out to track down as much of his stuff as possible. I think Figure 8 is my favourite, like the baroque influences in Junk Bond Trader & my personal favourite, Stupidity Tries.

CorgiRegisteredFriend;64 08309 said:
All of the three albums by McClusky were sadly overlooked, but going for the middle one McClusky Do Dallas. The band no longer exist but were often described as a Welsh Pixies. ( Which was a compliment to The Pixies) My regret is I never saw them live but making up for it by seeing spin off group Future Of The Left as often as possible. I would like to post a link to the song Gareth Brown Says but it may see this thread being 'removed' due to its inclusion of the C word. I recommend it for a listen though. For now here is this...to hell with good intentions

I wasn't able to see mclusky live, but I loved MDD so much. I only found out about Future Of The Left when I saw them support Les Savy Fav a few years ago- they were a riot and i've seen them 3 or 4 times now. Not since they've become a 4 piece though, I think the last time was a few years back when they came to The Haunt. Great band and their live album is a treasure, just to hear Falco putting down an audience member for wearing a Tool t-shirt.

220px-Asleepintheback.jpg

My recommendation is a well known band, but not a well known album...it's Elbow, and their debut Asleep In The Back. It's a dreamy, layered album that talks of love, loss and nostalgia. It sounds very different to their more recent output (for example, there's no massive tracks like Grounds For Divorce or One Day Like This) - i find it is perfect for listening to whilst working, or having on late at night and just drifting into the music. It's musical crack.

Here's a couple of songs as a teaser; Scattered Black & Whites and Newborn

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here