Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When the contract non-negotiations with Stockdale were (not) ongoing, I did wonder if we were seeing a repeat of the Murray situation:

A decent incumbent is seen as being expendable at a higher level with a (relatively) expensive replacement brought in, supposedly being a step-up in class.

I do hope that Maty Ryan doesn't turn out to be our next CMS.
It's starting to be a slight worry though................................

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Feck me, after that toothless performance we're blaming the goalie again?

I think we should be more concerned at the lack of a real chance carved out in 180+mins other than a fortuitous bounce to Duffy from splayed shot.

But don't let that distract you from a good witch hunt. Carry on.

Yes. He was at fault for both goals.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He is about as crap as everyone said Stockdale was when he first arrived

Not so. Stockdale got a lot of criticism when he started but he didn't make as many obvious mistakes.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It seems more to me his reaction time just isn't elite.

I'd think as a GLK at this level regardless of size it's your reaction time that's the most important thing. He appears to be a bit slow to get his hands up or his body behind a ball which leads to him being beaten.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This picture of the second goal from the Argus says a lot. Why is he crouching? At his height, he's never going to stop a header going into the top of the net like that.

Ryan.jpg

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This picture of the second goal from the Argus says a lot. Why is he crouching? At his height, he's never going to stop a header going into the top of the net like that.

View attachment 88380

Looks like a picture of Duffy getting beaten in the air to me - and in answer to the question, perhaps because he needs to jump? Pretty sure even Manuel Neuer would have needed some leverage to save that (Ryan gets a touch by the way).

At the match in real time I had thought it hit Maguire's arm, and the footage seems to indicate this also.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Looks like a picture of Duffy getting beaten in the air to me - and in answer to the question, perhaps because he needs to jump? Pretty sure even Manuel Neuer would have needed some leverage to save that (Ryan gets a touch by the way).

At the match in real time I had thought it hit Maguire's arm, and the footage seems to indicate this also.

I thought he could have come for the cross and also done better with the header. I think the fact he didn't save it is largely down to his height, unfortunately. If he'd been 6'4, he might have got to it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

It does but there is a second player near Maguire and Dunk is nowhere near.

If being critical of Ryan on this goal, surely it is not from the resulting header, but not coming for the corner, and even then it is questionable because of the number of bodies he'd need to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

View attachment 88380

See how high you can jump while fully upright. Now see how high you can jump from a crouch. There's your answer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would seem for some that horse has already bolted.

Luckily though NSC is full of posters happy to say they are wrong, so after 3 world beating games I'm sure this place will be awash with posters saying they were mistaken and have learned their lesson.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Give the guy time, he hasn't just become a bad keeper. Get behind him FFS

Ryan aside I think we still would have lost yesterday, not one clear cut chance in 2 games, we have other problems right now

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Murphy made a poor decision when we were attacking (10% blame for me), consequently all the midfield were out of position, as they broke. Mahrez ran 40 yds untouched, Suttner made the most pathetic attempt imaginable to stop him(50% blame) and Ryan although making a save parried to onrushing forward (40%). All IMO of course.

Ryan taking stick, but Suttner, I mean feck me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with this, but would apportion a higher percentage to Murphy (I did not realise it was him at the time). We really have to take every opportunity going forward and that level of poor decision making, turning attack into a goal up the wrong end, well.......... That said, I thought Murphy at least tried to take people on after that.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
At least we don't have to look for our third choice keeper anymore. Looks like we've already got him.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm suprised nobody has yet questioned his kicking and why he seems to aim for the 4th official every time he kicks it.

Because then that evolves into a question that leads to criticism of Hughton.

With the utmost respect, you don't aim all of your passes over two games, as a goalkeeper, out to that area of the pitch unless it's under instruction.

And yes, it was mentioned after the Man City game. That it's been mentioned again after the Leicester game just solidifies the idea that it's instruction from above.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't want to be too hard on the guy, but:
- that goal that he gave away against Athletico was an embarrassment
- similar kind of situation with the Dunk og against City
- yesterday (the first goal) a decent stop, but he had to hang on to the ball
- and having seen the second goal on MOTD it seems pretty obvious that a taller goalkeeper could have tipped it over the bar

One or two of the above could maybe be forgiven, but FOUR errors in three games??

Remember a few years back when Kuipers was subbed at half time early in his career with us because he was having a 'mare. It seemed to work for him because he came back stronger and developed into an excellent keeper. Chris should do the same with Ryan. Drop him for Maenpaa against Watford. We haven't seen much of Maenpaa, but when he has played he seems like a decent keeper. Give him a chance. Can't be any worse.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
When the contract non-negotiations with Stockdale were (not) ongoing, I did wonder if we were seeing a repeat of the Murray situation:

A decent incumbent is seen as being expendable at a higher level with a (relatively) expensive replacement brought in, supposedly being a step-up in class.

Does that mean we can have him back for £3M?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here