Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Staying in the Prem - it's a squad game

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Would you have preferred us not hanging on to get Shane Duffy last season and gave up and brought in someone else instead because he was signed after the start of the season ?

I said the majority, you can't always get everyone in you want, when you want. I just don't want to see us needing 3 players with just a few weeks left in the window for example

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I said the majority, you can't always get everyone in you want, when you want. I just don't want to see us needing 3 players with just a few weeks left in the window for example

agreed. You can't. But we play 3 games before the window shuts. And I doubt we will have done all our business before Aug 12th.
In fact no club will have done all its business before Aug 12th. Conversely it doesn't make sense to do so . More of our targets are likely to be available towards the end of the window rather than the beginning.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We have 18 of the 25 man squad places filled ( opinion ), so need another 7 ( along with any U21s ).

Still a lot to do, as time trickles away.

And so it's impossible to answer this thread for now...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Can we have no more of these depressingly negative threads please.......it's fairly obvious that the OP knew the answer to the question along with everyone else......it really isn't good for morale imo.

What are you talking about? It's not negative - it's a point of view. "the strength of our replacements will determine the success of our season, discuss".

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
agreed. You can't. But we play 3 games before the window shuts. And I doubt we will have done all our business before Aug 12th.
In fact no club will have done all its business before Aug 12th. Conversely it doesn't make sense to do so . More of our targets are likely to be available towards the end of the window rather than the beginning.

Its was just an ideal world scenario admittedly but I'd really like us going into those games after Man City having done most of our deals. I understand that one or two could well come in late into the window. I do agree though, the transfer window does kind of make the late shopping inevitable

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Really ? The club are looking at centre mids, a left back, possibly a winger, and another goalkeeper this summer to go with Ryan (GK) and Gross who is going to play as a #10.

Are you saying they should (have) stopped all that until they've signed a striker. ?

Maybe not stop looking, but certainly place the forward line as a priority over all those other positions - yes. Two centre mids, a left back, a winger, and another goalkeeper will all be largely pointless if a striker or two isn't signed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Maybe not stop looking, but certainly place the forward line as a priority over all those other positions - yes. Two centre mids, a left back, a winger, and another goalkeeper will all be largely pointless if a striker or two isn't signed.

Do you think they can't do one without the other ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is key is that we get off to a good start.

Right now the team morale is still intact, we're injury-free and, crucially, our team and our ground is an unknown quantity to most of the rest of the Prem. I can recall the flyer that Hull City got off to a few seasons back - only 1 defeat in their first 9 but followed up with only 2 wins in their following 29 - but that great start was enough to keep them up.

If we're in the bottom three at Christmas then it will be a hard fight to stay up, so we have to be adaptable and be offensive in those 6-pointers but stay tight against the big boys.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm of the view that the majority of the top seven, if not all of them, will have done so.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Your team will have to work a lot harder this coming season. You won't have the ball half as much as you did in the Championship. The players you're chasing will be faster and fitter. With that exertion will come more injuries.

It's paradoxical; you need a settled, consistent 11, but players waiting in the wings, ready to slot straight in.

Same thoughts. Last season we went through 26 regular players but we had seven long term injuries and four important short term injuries. I doubt of we would be unlucky too have more injuries?

I think, ideally we need 26 players which means one Under 21 loan player,

We have two vacant positions, left back and striker. The rest would be improvements on the squad. e.g. Goldson is out of match practice for injury and health reasons (another central defender) and Norwood (midfielder) might not make the grade? So that means four players.

Depending on injuries, I would allocate a contingency cash in hand plan for January. of course, in the less than likely scenario that improvements become available, I could see more signings.

Terminology for 26 players

Desperate to sign a LEFT BACK Vacant
Very Keen to sign a SECOND STRIKER Vacant

Interested to sign a CENTRAL DEFENDER Goldson
Very Interested to sign a DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER (Left-sided) Norwood

Looking at PACY STRIKER/WINGER Lualua
Looking at LEFT-SIDED BOX 2 BOX MIDFIELDER Ince
Looking at THIRD KEEPER Walton
Looking at ATTACKING MIDFIELDER Skalák

Looking at UNDER 21 PLAYERS

As Ince seems likely to go on loan this brings us down to 25 players. Are we going to get a third keeper?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What's your reasoning on that?

Club has confirmed it in several interviews, loanees often dependent on their pre-season form, some transfers dependent (like house sales) on a chain jn which Brighton are naturally further down the line, most transfer windows are like this.
Hughton - "“I don’t think it’s a problem saying that [i don't expect to have all my signings on board for Man City] It’s teams in general.
“You have only got to look at the history of the transfer market and the amount of work that is done in the last month.What is more important is that you get in what you want, not just filling numbers, and if it takes a bit longer you have got to accept that"

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Obviously goals are critical to stay in the prem, but I suspect the promoted teams that survive are the ones with the strongest back up players.

We'll get more injuries, bookings and stretch than some of the bigger teams. The way we handle that will determine our season. Do you think we'll have the squad to deal with it?

Our final Premier League squad is not complete, (bloody hope it's not anyway) therefore I cannot answer your question with any conviction, so for me at this time sorry it's a no

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In which case it would be remarkable because in previous seasons thats never happened.

My memory's obviously playing tricks on me, then. Any chance that you can elaborate on a few signings they made after the start of the season during last summer's window?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Club has confirmed it in several interviews, loanees often dependent on their pre-season form, some transfers dependent (like house sales) on a chain jn which Brighton are naturally further down the line, most transfer windows are like this.
Hughton - "“I don’t think it’s a problem saying that [i don't expect to have all my signings on board for Man City] It’s teams in general.
“You have only got to look at the history of the transfer market and the amount of work that is done in the last month.What is more important is that you get in what you want, not just filling numbers, and if it takes a bit longer you have got to accept that"
OK.

I would have said it was equally likely to be that we could pick up cheaper players at that time, and I'll get pelters, but the ones that none of the bigger spenders want.

I really think we need to get players in early, pay that little bit more maybe, because if the new squad doesn't knit until October, we've got an even bigger job on our hands.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I anticipate that quite a few fringe Albion players will be very keen to impress pre-season to make the cut of the 25.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My memory's obviously playing tricks on me, then. Any chance that you can elaborate on a few signings they made after the start of the season during last summer's window?

Arsenal signed Perez, Spurs signed Sissoku at the end of August. Any more ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here