Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just gone out and actually spent some money on CDs, for the first time in several months:
New ones from Beak, Neneh Cherry, Idles, Thom Yorke, Spiritualized and Low, plus the first album by Binker & Moses.
I bought Beak on the basis of the advice of Resident and, having listened to the first three-quarters of it, I'm really glad I did.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just gone out and actually spent some money on CDs, for the first time in several months:
New ones from Beak, Neneh Cherry, Idles, Thom Yorke, Spiritualized and Low, plus the first album by Binker & Moses.
I bought Beak on the basis of the advice of Resident and, having listened to the first three-quarters of it, I'm really glad I did.

I will be interested to get your thoughts on the Cherry album.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Once upon a time I bought Will Oldham and Palace, etc stuff as a matter of course, but my interest waned. The last thing he did I really liked was that album where he covered a host of tracks from his back catalogue under the Bonny Prince Billy moniker. I See a Darkness was the last studio album he made that I thought was great (again, I haven't listened to too many subsequently).
Given all this, can you describe what he's up to in this album?

Stripped back acoustic reworking with proper singing about sums it up I think, but have a listen and decide for yourself.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I will be interested to get your thoughts on the Cherry album.

Of those, the three I've listened to in full go in this order: Beak > Cherry > Low, although Cherry is a lot closer to Beak than Low. Have heard about half of Spiritualized and am enjoying that. But things may well change.
1. Have you seen Cherry live?
2. Have you heard/are you familiar with Beak?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of those, the three I've listened to in full go in this order: Beak > Cherry > Low, although Cherry is a lot closer to Beak than Low. Have heard about half of Spiritualized and am enjoying that. But things may well change.

1) Yes. On the last album, which was my album of the year, 2016? Loved it. Story coming up. Also have ticket to see her in Feb next year.
2) No. Will definitely investigate given you like them.

I saw James Holden last Wednesday. I’m really into rhythm, percussion and drum patterns etc and was quite mesmerized by his drummer. I investigated and he’s half of RocketNumberNine who were the band Fourtet recommenced for Neneh Cherry’s last album. I was equally mesmerized by him when he played with Cherry a couple of years back. Tom Page is his name.

Rambling, that’s Imperial Stout for you.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
1) Yes. On the last album, which was my album of the year, 2016? Loved it. Story coming up. Also have ticket to see her in Feb next year.

I saw James Holden last Wednesday. I’m really into rhythm, percussion and drum patterns etc and was quite mesmerized by his drummer. I investigated and he’s half of RocketNumberNine who were the band Fourtet recommenced for Neneh Cherry’s last album. I was equally mesmerized by him when he played with Cherry a couple of years back. Tom Page is his name.

Beak is going to feature high up Resident's AotY, and features Geoff Barrow, ex of Portishead. It's really intriguing sonically and dynamically. I think you're talking about Blank Project, which really was a great album, might have to dig it out and give it another listen.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Have you got the Cherry Thing CD from a few years ago? Well worth getting your hands on if not. The combination works really well. (I saw The Thing last month at Ronnie Scott’s. Awesome! As you’d expect).

I really like the new Beak CD. It does remind me, in parts, of Tortoise.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mrs T says Beak are good. That's all you need to know.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Once upon a time I bought Will Oldham and Palace, etc stuff as a matter of course, but my interest waned. The last thing he did I really liked was that album where he covered a host of tracks from his back catalogue under the Bonny Prince Billy moniker. I See a Darkness was the last studio album he made that I thought was great (again, I haven't listened to too many subsequently).
Given all this, can you describe what he's up to in this album?

Mrs T recommends Superwolf.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Have you got the Cherry Thing CD from a few years ago? Well worth getting your hands on if not. The combination works really well. (I saw The Thing last month at Ronnie Scott’s. Awesome! As you’d expect).

I really like the new Beak CD. It does remind me, in parts, of Tortoise.

I do have that, and yes it's great. I nearly went to see The Thing -- I noticed that Fire Orchestra were playing too -- but, with kids and gig-going friends with kids, it's always somewhat difficult to get up to London for one.
What I like about Beak is that it doesn't really remind me of anything.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This lovely EP featuring the magnificent Phoebe Bridgers is well worth a punt.

10.3 / 12

ole-1408-boygenius.jpg

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Latest mix for those who want to hear it:

https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-41/

Tracklist:
1. Flo & Spicey - Kick Kiss
2. International Teachers of Pop - After Dark
3. Marie Davidson - The Psychologist
4. Agar Agar - Requiem
5. The Bleak Engineers - Introspecto
6. Sauna Youth - No Personal Space
7. La Sabotage - Intermezzo
8. Cherry Glazerr - Daddi
9. The Orielles - Bobbi's Second World
10. Carla Dal Forno - A Silver Key Can Open An Iron Lock Somewhere
11. Computer Magic - Suspicious minds
12. Solveig Matthildur - Dystopian Boy
13. Zefgirlclub - Faith In Lies
14. Just The Right Height - Alone Fashion Style Like It Heart It
15. The Boiler - Total Care
16. Laibach - The Sound Of Music

Running time: 60 minutes

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Latest mix for those who want to hear it:

https://www.mixcloud.com/The_Airing_Cupboard/mix-41/

Tracklist:
1. Flo & Spicey - Kick Kiss
2. International Teachers of Pop - After Dark
3. Marie Davidson - The Psychologist
4. Agar Agar - Requiem
5. The Bleak Engineers - Introspecto
6. Sauna Youth - No Personal Space
7. La Sabotage - Intermezzo
8. Cherry Glazerr - Daddi
9. The Orielles - Bobbi's Second World
10. Carla Dal Forno - A Silver Key Can Open An Iron Lock Somewhere
11. Computer Magic - Suspicious minds
12. Solveig Matthildur - Dystopian Boy
13. Zefgirlclub - Faith In Lies
14. Just The Right Height - Alone Fashion Style Like It Heart It
15. The Boiler - Total Care
16. Laibach - The Sound Of Music

Running time: 60 minutes

Top work :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Got Psychic Data by TVAM the other day. It's in AotY territory. Gutted to see they played GDS a fortnight ago, and I wasn't even aware of them then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here