Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Scam Call From 00455 5378736

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Same ,Ended up speaking to someone called Dave from India soon realised it was a scam so put phone down
Called bt and now have bt call protect where if u get a call u don’t like u press 1572 and it blocks that call further u just keep adding I’m sure there are other ways they help as well , only had this up and running for a couple of weeks so to early to tell but have added 4/5 numbers to it so hopefully stops hope that helps oh and it’s free to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's excellent Doogie, thanks; I didn't know BT had this service. Nice one :thumbsup:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I had the same kind of scam call from 00455 5371406. Then I realized that was my brother-in-law's phone # and he is known for swindling people as a profession.

Ooops, I might have said too much.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'll try finding some documentation. You can't get charged for the inbound call per se normally, but if you interact with the call ie press one to speak to someone at network level this part of the call now becomes or can become outbound despite not terminating the call. Likewise if you transfer an inbound call to someone else this part of the call is actually normally now an outbound call on your behalf. From party a, you are part y b, and party a and c are talking to each other on your outbound call to party c. It works the same usually when you conference other people into a call. As opposed to them dialling into a bridge. It's quite straightforward using an open source pabx such as asterisk. This bit isn't a scam, it's by design. Or another way you can get charged is by the actual number being and international one. By actual number I don't mean the one you see on your screen. The cli displayed can be anything. Letters even. It isn't the actual number that's phoning you see displayed It's the bit which the network shows you. Which is just a display name. Just like the display name on an email address really. I'll see if I have and documentation somewhere. It's also how contact centres might make you think you are getting a local call to get better answer rates. Eg all numbers dialled into Brighton could display 01273 just by looking at your postcode.

The only person who can apply charges to an inbound call is the operator and they will make it quite clear that that is the case. You cannot do it with asterisk, it doesn't have the facility to apply charges. If you conference someone in to a call, then you will be charged but you will have to call them, it cannot be done by the person who called you (if they add the third party it will be them who is charged).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If you're with Talk Talk, to block the last number which rang you, dial 14258.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
My wife's colleague had someone phone her yesterday to tell her she was about to be arrested
Luckily I bought a BT call guardian phone a few years ago and that blocks all of them but I still get the fake accident ones on my mobile even though registered with the useless Telephone Preference Service.

kennyb

May 23, 2004
i just had exactly the same call pretending to be from uk police on behalf of hmrc , requesting i phone another number, the people i feel sorry for are the elderley who may be vulnerable to this sort of scam

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
These scam calls have left my mum very upset. It's been going on every day for 3 weeks until she managed to catch the train down and see me. She'd been calling me every day, but it seems I'd been hanging up after mistaking her for a scammer.

Get her something like this. Home Phone with Nuisance Call Blocking

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GZV2...&pd_rd_r=cbf84965-e8f8-11e8-a01b-4d1de731c45e

I've got one and so have my parents (in their 80's) and it's saved so much hassle.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The only person who can apply charges to an inbound call is the operator and they will make it quite clear that that is the case. You cannot do it with asterisk, it doesn't have the facility to apply charges. If you conference someone in to a call, then you will be charged but you will have to call them, it cannot be done by the person who called you (if they add the third party it will be them who is charged).
asterisk doesnt apply a cost. Um because its not a telco :ffsparr:
And its an outbound call. If you check over what I wrote. Its just that most wouldnt be aware of that.

In the 20 years of experience with telcos, VOIP, SIP. diallers, inbound, outbound, blended, on shore/off shore and being responsible for the telephony billing platforms of call centres doing 12 million minutes a month with 3000+FTEs. I have never ever spoken to an operator. Once. Do people get charged for "ínbound" calls and receive international calls from "local" numbers. I can assure you, they do.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
My wife's colleague had someone phone her yesterday to tell her she was about to be arrested
Luckily I bought a BT call guardian phone a few years ago and that blocks all of them but I still get the fake accident ones on my mobile even though registered with the useless Telephone Preference Service.

TPS isnt useless, the amount of calls you DONT get from being on it is quite astounding. Its just you dont "see" those

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
asterisk doesnt apply a cost. Um because its not a telco :ffsparr:
And its an outbound call. If you check over what I wrote. Its just that most wouldnt be aware of that.

In the 20 years of experience with telcos, VOIP, SIP. diallers, inbound, outbound, blended, on shore/off shore and being responsible for the telephony billing platforms of call centres doing 12 million minutes a month with 3000+FTEs. I have never ever spoken to an operator. Once. Do people get charged for "ínbound" calls and receive international calls from "local" numbers. I can assure you, they do.

As I asked before, how do you get charged for a call you receive ? (and if we're having a pissing contest, my 35 years of network engineering with bt probably counts for something too)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
As I asked before, how do you get charged for a call you receive ? (and if we're having a pissing contest, my 35 years of network engineering with bt probably counts for something too)

As I replied before

"but if you interact with the call ie press one to speak to someone at network level this part of the call now becomes or can become outbound despite not terminating the call. Likewise if you transfer an inbound call to someone else this part of the call is actually normally now an outbound call on your behalf."

:shrug:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Shirley it's "you don't hear those" or are you suggesting video calls?

I think TPS is UK only too, so won't stop the Mumbai chumps ....

Ha yes the number of unsolicited (telephone) calls you would get if you werent on the TPS list would increase massively. But it doesnt stop rogue sites simply not using it. Particularly PPI, funerals, holiday sickness, the like. They tend to be mostly offshore, presenting UK CLIs so not a lot can be done. Companies getting fines for TPS breaches are rare, on shore or off shore. GDPR supercedes it to an extent. But likewise the sites that dont or didnt give too much of a monkeys about the DMAs TPS register dont about GDPR either. And certainly scammers dont. They'll simply rotate the number you are called from, change trading details, cease trading. Part of the problem in my opinion is the way the TPS register was implemented in the first place. Once on the list you never get removed. And not that many people have the same phone number as they did when it started back in 2000. Though those numbers are still on it, so a lot of the data is invalid anyway. Indeed some people miss out on valid marketing calls because their number is on it without their knowledge. Which is a pain for the compliant marketers of which there are many and go about their business in a proper and fair manner. The corporate TPS list works somewhat better in that once registered your business you need to reregister every a couple of years

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here