Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting. chat in the bar

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
14 points from 10 games speaks volumes.
CH isn’t stupid - in the championship we were very entertaining but he knows you can’t go and play like that week in week out in the PL you get a tonking. We are currently punching well above our weight. It’s not always pretty but it gets the job do w

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It cost Tony Bloom £110 million to underwrite our losses in the Championship whereas we will break even in the Premier League. CH's brief is to keep us in this division as otherwise TB is writing out a cheque for an average of £350,000 a week to compete in the division below.

Brighton Operating Losses Championship.JPG

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
odd analogy but if you want to go with it, some are saying its time to build some walls and add a roof. can only admire concreate foundations for so long.

We aren't exactly without walls and a roof. I'd say the walls are well in progress, just as yet incomplete. We have a roof for now. It's worn but sturdy. It's not flash and new but it's standing the test of time given it's age and it's more than keeping the rain out at the moment. I'd even go as far as to say that we can only hope that, when we do come to install a new flashy roof, it holds up half as well as the old and reliable one we have at the moment.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The majority of posters on here wouldnt have been born when he was manager I wouldnt think, but as you say he got us to fight out 1-0 wins and I have always been an advocate of keeping a clean sheet as the foremost priority.

I saw every home game under Bailey and a few away. On the road we kept it tight and relied on Robinson or Ritchie to grab goals and we won at Liverpool, Tottenham and plenty of other places doing that. But we also had midfield players to compare with any in Case, Smith, Grealish, Ryan and even Neil McNab (the less said about Micky Thomas the better). And some of the home games were pretty entertaining.

But simply winning points and surviving comfortably in the top division wasn’t enough for some people, which I personally found amazing in view of the fact that we’d scraped survival on the last day in Mullery’s last season. Gates were falling though, and you can’t force people to pay money to watch something they don’t like so Bailey was persuaded to change the style and results suffered. Melia came in and the rest is history.

I’d like to think we have more intelligent fans these days who understand how far we’ve come and what it means to be where we are. Maybe Gillingham, Hereford and three playoff semifinal defeats have helped there ...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
i really do think that the biggest issue is that we have a number of players who arent on top form right now. We can be impressed in the circumstances that battling qualities and pride are bringing us results despite that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Likewise for Fulham.

Only team to be gung ho in last few years is Bournemouth and it’s working wonders.

Fulham are only 1/4 into the season so judge at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gung ho? I disagree. They rely very strongly on speed on the break that means they don’t have to commit too many players forward.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
14 points from 10 games speaks volumes.
CH isn’t stupid - in the championship we were very entertaining but he knows you can’t go and play like that week in week out in the PL you get a tonking. We are currently punching well above our weight. It’s not always pretty but it gets the job do w

One team that haven't changed thier style of play and still seem to advocate all out attacking football are Fulham. Remind me where they stand in the Premier League table?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Really? Playing fantastic football now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they? Five games ago they were all still calling for Farke's head saying they were utterly toothless and had no gameplan?

Also I have no idea why people keep saying "We can't keep hanging on". Why can't we? It's what we're good at evidently.

There were times yesterday where Wolves had just resorted to crossing aimlessly into our box as they had run out of ideas. I find it quite fun watching teams hopeless attempts at breaking our back line as Dunk and Duffy produce clearance after clearance.

Also, Norwich fans will be bitter all the time we have their former manager in charge, and doing better than them. They want to feel vindicated in the choice of sacking him, and the resulting abuse they gave one of the nicest men in football.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Glenn just explained all on Sky.

“CH/the players were unhappy about the number of goals being conceded this season. That sends clubs down. So they went back to basics in the last three matches, making defence a priority. A team can then deal with other aspects of play later”.

el punal

I know a Norwich fan who absolutely hates us, and Chris. I think it goes a bit beyond jealousy, he dislikes us more than he dislikes Ipswich.
Strange really, when I asked him why, he would just say, shit club, shit manager. It was funny having a pint with him in the away end after we tonked them 5-0 though.

It is strange when a football fan has an intense dislike for another seemingly random club without justified reason or explanation. Of course there are the conventional reasons for fans despising other clubs - historical rivalry (us and Palace, Arsenal and Spurs, etc.), religious grounds (sort of) with Rangers and Celtic. Or, for more personal reasons, where someone has had a horrible experience at the hands of the opposition club/fans which have had a lasting impact.

But to be unable to account for their animosity is just plain weird.

P.S. Did he buy the drinks? :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here