Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm not a generation snowflake easily offended type of person. For example, I don't think Sol Campbell has not got a job in football manager because he is black, I think he hasn't got a job because he is an egotistical bell cheese who would rub club chairman up the wrong way, I don't think Dianne Abbott is hounded because she is black but because she is as competent at what she does a lump of cheese would be.The race card can be played often and it can be played incorrectly or at best arguably which sometimes diminishes its effectiveness when it is valid. This is a case in point. You simply can't boo a player ALL GAME for reporting what he heard as racist abuse - against different opposition no less - in a town known for right leaning voters with a history of racism and pretend it was just harmless bantz. Worse, it seems, Bong asked for it according to Burnley supporters association. The sort of reasoning given about wife's with black eyes in the 70's. It's outdated, it's wrong and I'm surprised that even in areas as cosmopolitan as Burnley there aren't people who see it for what it was. I noticed there were no black players in the team on Saturday - not difficult to see why.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On this thread. He absolutely is

Perhaps. I haven't read back far enough to see who 'started' it. I have read posts suggesting that Burnley (to paraphrase) is just a town full of racists, so I suppose I might be inclined to react to that, were I from the town. But I think the reaction has been inappropriate, bordering on bullying.

Yes, on this thread, as you say he may well be 'the' problem. But this is jst a thread on NSC, full of venting. This is not THE problem. The problem is the disgraceful behaviour of Burnley supporters, followed by the disgraceful reporting as it it were fact that the WBA player was found innocent, and the disgraceful reporting that the guilty man somehow is Bong.

I couldn't give a stuff if a Burnley supporter had got defensive on NSC about all this. I can understand perfectly well that, in the face of a lynch mob, he may have started to defend the indefensible. So what? As I said, he is not the problem.

So what will the PL do about the behaviour of the Burnley booers? What will they do about the false reporting in the media that Bong was found guilty of lying (the impression given if not the actual words presented)? What will they do about the WBA player if he uses social media to suggest Bong is a liar? These are the issues. 'Beating up' one Burnley supporter, or subjecting him to some sort of regional psychoanalysis, even if he has brought a lot of this on himself, and having a good old vent about it seems wrong to me. In any case if the Burnley lad on this thread has transgressed some code, why isn't he now banned?

Sorry to swim against the tide on this one, but there it is.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
'Beating up' one Burnley supporter, or subjecting him to some sort of regional psychoanalysis, even if he has brought a lot of this on himself, and having a good old vent about it seems wrong to me. In any case if the Burnley lad on this thread has transgressed some code, why isn't he now banned?

Not sure he has transgressed any board rules. He has merely defended the booing of Bong throughout the game because of Bong's accusation that he was racially abused and failed to condemn the homophobic chanting of his Burnley mates on Saturday.

I had no axe to grind with this fella before; always made good contributions previously. He just seems to have completely lost the plot!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Until a Burnley fan posted it yesterday, I wasn't aware that there were only two possible verdicts, proven and not proven. Therefore not proven is the same as being cleared. If it isn't then how can he be cleared or should he forever more be thought of as an unproven racist?

Correct. He wasn't cleared of the charge. Simply, there wasn't enough evidence to confirm the guilt. We don't know either way and will never.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They're claiming we sang "you're just a town full of pakis".

and yet they're booing Bong for making racial abuse allegations

I think if our away fans were doing that, someone with a mobile phone would've recorded it, and posted it.

We know our fans definitely sang town full of racists, that is clear.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick

Not sure how the hell they can claim we sung that when it blatantly didn't happen.

I has a spat with a few Burnley fans on Twitter yesterday about all this, they are quite a nasty bunch of people (not all I hasten to add) saying some vile things about GB. They are blinded by all of this because of GB's race/colour & JR was born there. They won't listen to reason or take on board the report the FA released etc, they believe because GB is Black then he is a liar and should be treated like one. I still can't comprehend in 2018 there are grown men & women who can act like this.

I fear for the children they are bringing up, when will it end. I am really disgusted by all this, GB & JR are trying to put it behind them and carry on so let them for F sake.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't think Dianne Abbott is hounded because she is black but because she is as competent at what she does a lump of cheese would be. It's outdated, it's wrong and I'm surprised that even in areas as cosmopolitan as Burnley there aren't people who see it for what it was. I noticed there were no black players in the team on Saturday - not difficult to see why.

So if you believe this why does Dianne Abbott receive so much racist mail, emails, etc that there are so many that they are only collected up once a week and delivered to the police to investigate?

Is Aaron Lennon not black and also didn't Georges-Kevin N'Koudou come on as a sub late on, or was I at a different game?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Interesting to note that after Burnley issued their statement it is nowhere to be found on their website.

So what are we to read into this, an innocent omission?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The nasty singing about Aberfan to Welsh club fans in the 70's (by lots of different English clubs fans) is one that made me feel sick and actually cry.

The disaster was 52 years ago, and the 70s are 40 odd years ago, so I'm not sure why this has been brought into the debate. I would like to think that society and football has been moved onto more understanding times, and if such a disaster was ever to reoccur the response inside football grounds would be far different.

Unfortunately some areas of the country are far slowing moving forward in understanding what is and what isn't acceptable in the issues raised on this thread

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Forget the "yeah but your fans chanted this" and "oh well your fans chanted that", and of all things Aberfan (whatever the hell THATS doing on this thread) - its just muddying the waters and deflecting from the main issue.

The crux of the entire spat on this thread is the fact that a large section of Burnley fans felt it was fair game to persistently abuse a black player of the opposition, for daring to report what he heard as an instance of racial abuse by a former Burnley player.

[MENTION=28806]8th battalion East Lancs[/MENTION] has pontificated and obfuscated around this central issue, answering questions with questions and bringing in other issues, but never once (from what I've read) acknowledging that the fans who abused Bong from start to finish for the "crime" of reporting JR for what he heard as racist remarks, were bang out of order.

The actions of those fans on Saturday can only dissuade any future racist abuse on the pitch from being reported, which is thoroughly depressing - but according to 8th battalion, is quite justifiable. Or at least not worthy of condemning.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I think if our away fans were doing that, someone with a mobile phone would've recorded it, and posted it.

We know our fans definitely sang town full of racists, that is clear.

Our fans weren't.. I was there and that is fabricated just to try and make them look better! Believe me, it didn't happen!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

and yet they're booing Bong for making racial abuse allegations
Thanks.

Not being there, I assume we didn't.

But then again, I wouldn't put it past 1 or 2 to think that was 'hilarious'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Forget the "yeah but your fans chanted this" and "oh well your fans chanted that", and of all things Aberfan (whatever the hell THATS doing on this thread) - its just muddying the waters and deflecting from the main issue.

The crux of the entire spat on this thread is the fact that a large section of Burnley fans felt it was fair game to persistently abuse a black player of the opposition, for daring to report what he heard as an instance of racial abuse by a former Burnley player.

[MENTION=28806]8th battalion East Lancs[/MENTION] has pontificated and obfuscated around this central issue, answering questions with questions and bringing in other issues, but never once (from what I've read) acknowledging that the fans who abused Bong from start to finish for the "crime" of reporting JR for what he heard as racist remarks, were bang out of order.

The actions of those fans on Saturday can only dissuade any future racist abuse on the pitch from being reported, which is thoroughly depressing - but according to 8th battalion, is quite justifiable. Or at least not worthy of condemning.

Agreed. I don't actually think the majority of those who booed are racist - but I think they are mostly realising now that it was monumentally stupid and they ****ed up big time, and are squirming around the subject using all sorts of whataboutery rather than just growing up, acknowledging it was wrong, apologising and moving on.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

In a nutshell, THIS!

The failure to comprehend this seems utterly ridiculous to me. Bong had done nothing wrong, had been found by an inquiry to have done nothing wrong and he gets that vile treatment, it is sickening. I was utterly revolted by it on saturday. Very pleased that Bong dealt with it in such a mature way and delighted that our fans did not give an inch all day in backing both the player and the team.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

You are spot on here, except for the fact that you are missing the additional justification by some Burnley fans on here that GB deserved to be booed because he answered questions about his experience on French TV and corrected JR's false assertion that he had been cleared of all allegations and was found not guilty.

Heinous crimes, I sure you will agree.

The fact is that the Burnley fans on here are scratching desperately for justification of their poor behaviour. Sadly for them their mealy mouthed excuses are not washing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've always thought this with Millwall fans and now with this example.....

There must be some lovely, normal, well mannered people who go along to watch their football club (Burnley) and, on Saturday, sit there in absolute disgust and the sheer stupidity of some of 'their own' and just think "great".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our fans weren't.. I was there and that is fabricated just to try and make them look better! Believe me, it didn't happen!

Thank you. I have seen other posts from those who were there saying exactly the same thing. Burnley fans are trying to deflect blame.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are grounds now, where I choose not to give their club any money, especially now I have to pick and choose my fixtures. Burnley is one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here