Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Happy Ariel Pink day everyone.

Those put off by pom pom's schizophenic tendencies (i.e. not me) will probably appreciate the return to the relative normality of the Before Today/ Mature Themes era on 'Dedicated to Bobby Johnson' but I'm not going to love it half as much as I did that record.

Still some great moments (as ever) including 'Time To Live,' complete with 'Video Killed The Radio Star' rip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYtsUdD921E

Ha. This vinyl has literally just arrived in the post. So excited about this.

As an aside have you heard of John Maus...one time Ariel Pink collaborator. His stuff is interesting, crazy baritone voice, and you can hear similarities with Pink.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ha. This vinyl has literally just arrived in the post. So excited about this.

As an aside have you heard of John Maus...one time Ariel Pink collaborator. His stuff is interesting, crazy baritone voice, and you can hear similarities with Pink.

Absolutely adore John Maus. Making the pilgrimage to London to see him in October. Have you ever heard the record that Ariel Pink did with R. Stevie Moore - Ku Klux Glam (urgh) It's as wildly inconsistent as you'd expect given the two feature protagonists but has some genius moments.

Anyway, how about some John Maus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av5Jb52yFBo

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've just been introduced to the delights of Blanck Mass. Now this is someone who completely passed me by until now. I bought his current album on a recommendation and a gig ticket purchase (he's supporting Forest Swords) and have now aquired the whole back catalogue. Excellent stuff and an interesting progression if you start from the start.

Forest Swords is excellent as well.

FYI, Blanck Mass is one of the two from F*** Buttons, and they're none too dissimilar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surprised you haven't heard off FB before. Great live, especially if you can see them in a low-ceilinged room, that heightens the assault on your senses.

I know the name, but I've never bothered to check them out before.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Having heard Falling Asleep on Gideon Coe last night, I have to say that this is pretty wonderful.

61Lj9cpFJ6L._SS500.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Chris Corner's (ex Sneaker Pimps) latest IAMX album is out today called Unfall. This album is firmly electronica I would say, but ethereal, industrial, strange and engaging.

After stumbling upon the 'I Salute You Christopher' track from the TV series Tin Star, I've been a bit hooked. p.s. this tack bares no relationship to the latest album.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Got three CDs yesterday:

new/old Neil Young -- you'd think what's not to like about NY in the mid-70s (which is when it was recorded), and indeed it's cracking, mostly acoustic. I may be corrected on this point, but about half the tracks are unreleased, whereas the other five or so have featured in different versions elsewhere

Godspeed -- it's a little bit of a departure from their previous offerings, which is probably no bad thing. I think I like it, but will have to give it a few more spins before firming my view up

new/old Olafur Arnalds -- this is a revamped version of his first release, written when a teenager. It's simply stunning, indicative of a fine talent, and is right up there in AotY territory for me. There is a surprise at the end, but it works brilliantly as an album.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Got three CDs yesterday:

new/old Olafur Arnalds -- this is a revamped version of his first release, written when a teenager. It's simply stunning, indicative of a fine talent, and is right up there in AotY territory for me. There is a surprise at the end, but it works brilliantly as an album.

The man can do no wrong in my eyes. Island Songs was sublime, along with the pub piano out of tune live versions of Chopin and I have recently been enjoying his slightly heavier Kiasmos stuff.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The man can do no wrong in my eyes. Island Songs was sublime, along with the pub piano out of tune live versions of Chopin and I have recently been enjoying his slightly heavier Kiasmos stuff.

Excellent. I was unaware of Kiasmos, but will check them out. What a talented guy.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Looking forward to having a proper listen to Metz's third album. Enjoying Girl Ray's Earl Grey hugely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The new Horrors album is getting rave reviews.

I must admit having not really had a record of theirs really grab me since 'Primary Colours,' I thought they were really good live when I caught them last year.

Anyone given it a go yet?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The new Horrors album is getting rave reviews.

I must admit having not really had a record of theirs really grab me since 'Primary Colours,' I thought they were really good live when I caught them last year.

Anyone given it a go yet?

Whilst the influences have moved to a place I care for less than I did on Primary Colours it is undoubtedly a very strong album. Talk of a 'mainstream breakthrough' seems a little optimistic though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here