Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rio Ferdinand to announce tomorrow he's going to become a professional boxer

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Years ago I remember reading an article about the rise in suicides amongst ex-county cricket players. It pointed to the fact that many couldn't adapt to life away from the changing room.

I wonder if there's something similar going on here. Rio was lauded for much of his playing career and now away from it all he might be missing the attention and adulation in a sporting context. Boxing is an easy fit for this and it's also lucrative.

Get licence
Start manufactured social media war with average boxer who needs a payday.
PPV
Kerching.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I really have little interest in boxing, but I'm going to be paying attention to Rio's journey. He looks in good shape for it, and he's got plenty of motivation behind him.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'm not sure that makes him racist. He was pissed off with Ashley Cole after he stood up for John Terry in court who had called Rio's cousin Anton a "f*****g black c**t. Not only had Cole been a childhood friend of Ferdinand but he also interpreted Cole's support of Terry as being a betrayal of his own ethnicity as well as their friendship.

I thought Anton was Rio's brother?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
To start pro boxing at his age probably isn't going to end well.

If he gets in the ring with a journeyman 2 stones lighter it will be a farce. If he fights a seasoned professional he will get sparked out.

Think of the kids Rio. Don't do it. There are plenty of other ways to earn a crust.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
To start pro boxing at his age probably isn't going to end well.

If he gets in the ring with a journeyman 2 stones lighter it will be a farce. If he fights a seasoned professional he will get sparked out.

Think of the kids Rio. Don't do it. There are plenty of other ways to earn a crust.

agree!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm not sure that makes him racist. He was pissed off with Ashley Cole after he stood up for John Terry in court who had called Rio's cousin Anton a "f*****g black c**t. Not only had Cole been a childhood friend of Ferdinand but he also interpreted Cole's support of Terry as being a betrayal of his own ethnicity as well as their friendship.
Yes, racism.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

tbf, i dont think he's doing it for the money, though he'll take any on offer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here