Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
they are not protecting the interests of their members. they are protecting political objectives.

be rational about it. consider say the air travel situation, it is claimed that if no agreement is reached, UK operators will lose thier license to fly over Europe. what affect will that have on tourism in the Mediterranean members? it may follow that European carriers would be barred from flying over UK, so all their transatlantic traffic would have to take substantial detours, adding fuel cost and time. so in reality its in the interest of both parties to sort out a sensible agreement. this sort of analysis can be applied to any policy area, they hurt us they hurt themselves. i wouldn't for a moment say "they need us more than we need them" but the fact is Europeans, not the EU politicians, would be worse off with a poor or no deal scenario, than with an amicable one.

That's true and I agree with you, but by the same token it wasn't in The EU's or anyone's interest for Greece to jettison out of the Eurozone and The EU a few years back without a deal, it would have be pretty disastrous for all concerned, but that was the possibility facing everyone as highlighted by Yanis Varoufakis. Politics was the prime objective there.

The Foreign Affairs Select Committee has used the phrase 'mutually assured destruction' to describe the 'no deal' scenario and called the possibility 50/50. We'll see what happens and if the worse does happen, the mutual blame game will just carry on and on. It's a mess to me whichever way I look at it at present.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Ffs. People comparing to the nazis. That is exactly what was always going to happen.

To make it clear, I am not massively pro EU, I am anti-f*+king up this country based on flawed logic/plans. Wishing everything to be okay and saying "that is why we need to leave" does not equal policy for a successful future. Some of the right wing views on here suggest people have forgotten what the war was about.

As I recall my history,wasn't the war mainly about freeing people from German oppression,slavery,and genocide?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Somebody whinging about it might take a bit longer to get expensive gearboxes from Germany?Probably cheaper to fly them from India,China or Malaysia-that's what free trade with the rest of the world is about!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Somebody whinging about it might take a bit longer to get expensive gearboxes from Germany?Probably cheaper to fly them from India,China or Malaysia-that's what free trade with the rest of the world is about!

And leavers are still deluded about these free trade deals with the rest of the world. No doubt there are BMW Porsche etc part manufacturers all around the world.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
And leavers are still deluded about these free trade deals with the rest of the world. No doubt there are BMW Porsche etc part manufacturers all around the world.

You can get parts for BMW Porsche etc in North Korea if you want to,and they have never been anywhere near Europe.Even the Russians can build gearboxes,ffs.:smile:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

there are BMW, Mercedes and VW factories abroad that import components, often cheaper than the German/EU made one, even after import duties.

Jan 30, 2008
Looks like the only flights likely to be grounded at the moment are Ryan Air and Air Berlin!:cool:It's all going well,then.Wonder if May told Trudeau to expect her back soon,to sign the trade deal.Out before Christmas,if the EU negotiators carry on regardless.Then she can hop over the border and sign the USA deal,as well.Happy New Year!:clap2::clap::O
the futures Bright ,the future is OUT of the EU
regards
DR

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You can get parts for BMW Porsche etc in North Korea if you want to,and they have never been anywhere near Europe.Even the Russians can build gearboxes,ffs.:smile:

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that if BMW wanted to source parts for the cars they make in the UK then they would be happy to order them from North Korea (or whatever non-European place the north Koreans buy their BMW parts from)?

Would this apply, for example, to the drivechains for the new E Mini?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Would this apply, for example, to the drivechains for the new E Mini?

well we could just still order them in from Germany - we're proposing tariff free trade remember?

im less than convinced all this customs importation will impose much more burden. looking into internal cross border VAT recently, it seems there's still documentation and filing that needs to be done, its little different to clearing customs, has a different name. i'd be interested to know if anyone has direct experience of importation vs cross-border trade for how onerous it really is (the tariffs into the EU would obvs be a bugger to pay).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
well we could just still order them in from Germany - we're proposing tariff free trade remember?

im less than convinced all this customs importation will impose much more burden. looking into internal cross border VAT recently, it seems there's still documentation and filing that needs to be done, its little different to clearing customs, has a different name. i'd be interested to know if anyone has direct experience of importation vs cross-border trade for how onerous it really is (the tariffs into the EU would obvs be a bugger to pay).

Err, yeah. It costs money, money that is then added to the RRP via margin/markup. 5% duty when worked into a complex spreadsheet/algorithm can add maybe 10% to the final price to the end user, and before peeps get too clever this figure CAN vary enormously.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Into oblivion and irrelevency. Brexit is utterly tinpot.

Its going to be AMAZING, we are going to sign new and exciting trade deals with the rest of the world. The likes of China, India and Japan are just dying to give us something a lot more exciting than what we already have with the EU, and we won't need to give them anything in exchange. Why are everyone so negative, we've have got the Queen you know. As you Europe, well a mature market, the 45% is declining fast, don't worry, and anyway those Yankie apples are bigger and better than French ones, and their beef is so tender I don't know how they do it

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Its going to be AMAZING, we are going to sign new and exciting trade deals with the rest of the world. The likes of China, India and Japan are just dying to give us something a lot more exciting than what we already have with the EU, and we won't need to give them anything in exchange. Why are everyone so negative, we've have got the Queen you know. As you Europe, well a mature market, the 45% is declining fast, don't worry, and anyway those Yankie apples are bigger and better than French ones, and their beef is so tender I don't know how they do it

Not sure if you just need an introduction to spell-checker,or need to visit a doctor?:eek:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Perhaps you sore losers need to invite Evo Morales to be the new leader.He doesn't seem to like a referendum either!

evo.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Jan 30, 2008
you've still got time to get over to the EU AND FIND YOUR DREAM PLACE , what's stopping you and the rest of the grizzlers on here :rolleyes:
regards
DR

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
you've still got time to get over to the EU AND FIND YOUR DREAM PLACE , what's stopping you and the rest of the grizzlers on here :rolleyes:
regards
DR

What's stopping him is probably the fact that he loves his country and wants it to be a great and prosperous place to live. Unlike scum such as Boris who couldn't give a toss about anything but himself and screw Britain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here