Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best decision you have ever made?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Joining the Royal Navy. Best years of my life.

Therein lies one of the worse decisions of my life. I loved my time too, but left to marry the first time around. Having said that, I have two wonderful offspring from that marriage that I wouldn't change.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm torn between two. Both completely life changing.

When I was 19, I'd just been offered a training contract at an accountancy firm where I would earn absolutely feck all for a few years but would go to college one day a week and get all exams etc paid for.

I was a climber at the time and a lot of my mates were earning really decent money in rope access work. The day that I'd been offered the "job" (slave labour really) a friend of mine told me he'd just taken on a big contract and that if I wanted to get involved he'd cover my training costs and get me on the team. The difference between earning dole money or about £400 a week (23 years ago).

Seriously tough decision. I chose to be skint and was for years. But, it's all worked out ok, I have a network of clients through the rope access contacts I made through climbing and now, as the lads my age are looking for a way out of a tough physical job, I only need my brain to continue working to carry on earning a half decent living.

Second one was saying "yes" to a really good mate of mine when she suggested meeting her at the pub the day that I'd had a MASSIVE bust up with my recently ex girlfriend (who was desperate to "stay friends" but then totally ****ed me over).

It was a Sunday, day after valentines day and I'd been out most of the weekend caning it, but I thought "screw it" and said yes.

After a few beers this bird I'd never seen before turned up at the bar as I was ordering. She started taking the piss out of the hat I was wearing and the next minute we were sat down having a right laugh.....

We've been married for ten years, have an amazing son and I love her more every day.

I'm gong to pick option two.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Getting divorced..... wished I had done it much sooner

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's the getting married thing I'm afraid - 40 years ago this year. She's my best friend, my soul-mate, we care about the same things - politics, world-view, values, music, the arts, sport and football and our two daughters, one grand-daughter and another one on the way. Same taste in holidays, places to visit, same interests, some of which we have taken on from each other.

We've had our ups and downs, mostly around money (or lack of it), but coming through it all is what it is all about.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Applying for a job at Legal and General 21 years ago - Not there anymore, but pretty much everything good in my life stemmed from working there, on day one I met what is now one of my best friends, through him I met my future wife and mother of my son. I also met some great friends I still have, despite none of us still working there!

I learned a lot there, progressed quickly and eventually walked away with a decent redundancy pay 13 years later. Everything I have done career wise since has its bedrock in the skills and experience I gained at L&G.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Applying for a job at Legal and General 21 years ago - Not there anymore, but pretty much everything good in my life stemmed from working there, on day one I met what is now one of my best friends, through him I met my future wife and mother of my son. I also met some great friends I still have, despite none of us still working there!

I learned a lot there, progressed quickly and eventually walked away with a decent redundancy pay 13 years later. Everything I have done career wise since has its bedrock in the skills and experience I gained at L&G.

Jess won't be happy...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's the getting married thing I'm afraid - 40 years ago this year. She's my best friend, my soul-mate, we care about the same things - politics, world-view, values, music, the arts, sport and football and our two daughters, one grand-daughter and another one on the way. Same taste in holidays, places to visit, same interests, some of which we have taken on from each other.

We've had our ups and downs, mostly around money (or lack of it), but coming through it all is what it is all about.

Happy ruby anniversary.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Deciding to stop worrying about the right time and just see what happens if we fell pregnant. Having kids is the best thing that's ever happened to me. Those little Beans are everything. Nothing else seems all that significant anymore.

That said, having two babies, 1 year and 1 day apart has rather curtailed my Albion pleasures for the time being. Which is why I've turned to good old NSC to help me through the transition. I'll be back on a regular basis at some point, sooner rather than later I hope!!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got the Albion?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here