Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton says club will not panic in transfer window

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Panic = someone like Leon Best or Billy Paynter vs waiting a bit, being patient and (hopefully) getting someone like one of the South Americans that we are after?

Patience and Panic are producing the same result in other words. Let's go with Panic for a change.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Like leaving the substittutions so late they cannot effect the game ???

But seriously, we need so many players (five) that we will have to wait until summer to choose.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Patience and Panic are producing the same result in other words. Let's go with Panic for a change.

So we spend more and end up having to buy a lower league striker who has an average record because that's all we can get to sign for us at this stage of the transfer window?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Like leaving the substittutions so late they cannot effect the game ???

But seriously, we need so many players (five) that we will have to wait until summer to choose.

Yep....the defence needs completely re-shaping for a start, let alone any thoughts re strikers.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

We didn't stall on Knockaert's signing and got him in early in the window, the same for Ridgewell and Towell

so who are the players at we are trying to buy where you think that we the ones stalling the deal? and why would we do that if they were available?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We didn't stall on Knockaert's signing and got him in early in the window, the same for Ridgewell and Towell

so who are the players at we are trying to buy where you think that we the ones stalling the deal? and why would we do that if they were available?

The question is, are we going in with strong enough bids, not whether we are stalling. I suspect not.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So we spend more and end up having to buy a lower league striker who has an average record because that's all we can get to sign for us at this stage of the transfer window?

Nope. Panic is better. If done well, it's surprisingly pays dividends.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't think he is. Jem is a positive fan and defender of the club's policies, but I don't think that he'd have access to transfer fees and wages to such detail.

I've seen him banging out some pretty thorough threads before. One to keep an eye on me thinks

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is £10,000,000 a season not already a big enough gamble? That is what Tony is currently subsidising the club with. How much does it have to be to guarantee promotion.

He could spend the family silver on what he thinks is the Fernando Torres who was at Liverpool and get the Torres from Chelsea.

And if every club gambled that way, there would be 21 clubs in financial ruin by May. It's not worth the risk.

No one could argue that TB, season after season, hasn't subsidised the playing side. As the club spends higher wage costs and net transfer spending, £m's over the club turnover.

Success on the field is not just about the grand total of money expended.

The question is - how are Middlesborough, Derby, and now Ipswich and Sheffs Weds, all able to keep the goals and winners flowing, not letting setbacks destroy team confidence? The league table doesn't lie. They're not ascending due to luck and the Albion crumbling due to bad luck.

Perhaps they have classy match winners, midfield battlers who are able to face up to any opponents in this division, and they lack error-prone, old and ill disciplined defenders.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Just heard the full interview on Radio Sussex, and CH goes on to say that they are working hard to bring the right player(s) in. Interesting that AN chose to leave that bit out!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just heard the full interview on Radio Sussex, and CH goes on to say that they are working hard to bring the right player(s) in. Interesting that AN chose to leave that bit out!!

He said that when Bong got injured so it is just a phrase to please the supporters and said with very little conviction although he and his ardent followers who can see no wrong may believe it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've seen him banging out some pretty thorough threads before. One to keep an eye on me thinks

Nah. I don't know him personally, but from what I know of him - from here, Twitter and his blog - he seems a good bloke and not the sort of needy person that creates second accounts to back his opinions up.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
He said that when Bong got injured so it is just a phrase to please the supporters and said with very little conviction although he and his ardent followers who can see no wrong may believe it.

Maybe, but my point was that AN only partially quoted CH, and in doing so changed the context of the conversation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here