Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Catering at the Amex, has it improved?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
** Large comfortable concourses. - Yes. They are. Mostly taken up by queues for the mens toilets, or the kiosks. I will say again, turn the odd Womens toilet into a Mens and it'd help enormously.

Ha ! moaning that there are toilet queues (at half time basically) in probably the most comfortable concourses with places to put your pint, tvs showing live football , highlights post game etc, in the entire country. Ha !

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Boringly some of my day job involves process improvement for a global organisation and there are ALWAYS operational efficiencies to be had.

The crux of the problem revolves around whether the customer dissatisfaction or business volume drop demands you to look at the process.

Sadly as customers we the fans and the club are culpable for not demanding better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, no argument with that and we as fans were especially, in the first few years, too excusing of poor service because it was 'early days' (still being used in the 4th season by many due to operators changing). By then though many had simply given up and taken custom elsewhere (me for instance) or settled for 'nothing will ever change'. And let's face it, the club isn't dependent on F&B sales these days, it's quite literally beer money by comparison. Sort of like a minimum criteria, much like providing toilets ;) We can but live in hope but really, the government needs to change the rules. That more than anything would make a difference for all parties.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Without all the prawn sandwich jokes (please...) its just as rubbish in 1901. Yes, the queues are much shorter than other stands but they regularly sell out of pies and the bar staff are just as slow and useless. Given up with eating inside, the fish and chips outside the ground is far better quality and better value.

Tsk, that's Sussex's finest beverage you're talking about there!

I can't believe you don't even get a free cuppa tea at HT anymore. Outrageous really given the price you pay / cost of providing. Still, good for you to experience what we plebs do ;)

PS do you prefer an Atlantic or Madagascan Prawn...?!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm guessing a lot of the Goldstone generation who ate the pies of the day, probably have teeth that resemble a car crash in a cemetery now :moo:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm guessing a lot of the Goldstone generation who ate the pies of the day, probably have teeth that resemble a car crash in a cemetery now :moo:

LOL! I never ever, once, purchased any 'hot' food at the Goldstone. Life's short enough as it is. Even a hot drink was a calculated risk.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm surprised catering is such an important part of people's match-day experience. Drink in the city centre before the game, eat in the city centre afterwards. You're at the stadium to watch football, not get caught up in lines for hot dogs and overpriced beer.

I don't mean to belittle others - often I queue up (in vein) for a halftime drink when I go to games. Sure, I get that having a drink in the concourse before KO is all part of the enjoyment and part of the social side of going to matches, but queuing up for meal deals and paying over the odds for snacks is just unnecessary IMO. Bordering on the daft.

It's like people who get annoyed with early leavers; the argument they come out with is "you wouldn't leave a movie five minutes before the end". Let's take this analogy to catering - why do people feel the need to stuff their faces when watching a film / football match? The main event is the ninety minutes of action on the screen / pitch. I don't usually feel peckish when watching a game. Or a film for that matter.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm surprised catering is such an important part of people's match-day experience. Drink in the city centre before the game, eat in the city centre afterwards. You're at the stadium to watch football, not get caught up in lines for hot dogs and overpriced beer.

I don't mean to belittle others - often I queue up (in vein) for a halftime drink when I go to games. Sure, I get that having a drink in the concourse before KO is all part of the enjoyment and part of the social side of going to matches, but queuing up for meal deals and paying over the odds for snacks is just unnecessary IMO. Bordering on the daft.

It's like people who get annoyed with early leavers; the argument they come out with is "you wouldn't leave a movie five minutes before the end". Let's take this analogy to catering - why do people feel the need to stuff their faces when watching a film / football match? The main event is the ninety minutes of action on the screen / pitch. I don't usually feel peckish when watching a game. Or a film for that matter.

Good point. Just the done thing I guess. Enhances the experience.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The funniest thing for me is that they have an early bird offer. They only open the concourses, what, an hour before the game? Yet I've walked in 10 minutes after opening and been told the early bird offer isn't still valid. What. Is. The. Point. ?????

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I was a kid and used to buy the hotdogs or burgers (the boiled cheap American type that came in giant catering tins). I lived to tell the tale, but my brain’s gone to pot early as a result ... how are you @RuislipAmex?).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Don't think the beer's overpriced by any stretch of imagination. And I get your point but it's not always the case you've time especially evening games. Yes we all can find alternatives, life gets in the way however and with transport issues meaning you risk not arriving at all, plenty people arrive way earlier than would have done at Withdean or Goldstone. And want a drink or pie whilst they do. Simples!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The funniest thing for me is that they have an early bird offer. They only open the concourses, what, an hour before the game? Yet I've walked in 10 minutes after opening and been told the early bird offer isn't still valid. What. Is. The. Point. ?????

Concourse is open way before that.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I don't usually feel the need to get pissed up at a film or football match to the point that I barely remember what happened. But many people feel that's an appropriate way to be at football...

Plus, why is eating at a football game any less social than drinking at football?

Your point really does seem a tad muddled.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Concourse is open way before that.

Really? I've been to evening games where the North section has only just opened an hour or so before... I must admit, I rarely get there that early so I just assumed this was par for the course. How early does it open and how long does the early bird offer go on for?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was a kid and used to buy the hotdogs or burgers (the boiled cheap American type that came in giant catering tins). I lived to tell the tale, but my brain’s gone to pot early as a result ... how are you @RuislipAmex?).

52 years and of the Goldstone generation :thumbsup:
Let's just say I post my teeth to the dentist, just like [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION]

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's horrible. I now get coffee from the stall outside by the memorial garden. The muffins are awesome and the american decaff is Devine.

The pies in the stadium are cold, or Luke warm and horrible.

Such is all football catering apart from Sheffield united's meat and potato pies and Norwich city Delilah, Christmas dinner pie which is just awesome and makes ours efforts look and taste like regurgitated mouse droppings.

Did you try a Christmas pie at the Amex, the one I had this year was delicious.

I usually have a red onion sausage roll, by far the best food product I have eaten at any football ground in the country.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really? I've been to evening games where the North section has only just opened an hour or so before... I must admit, I rarely get there that early so I just assumed this was par for the course. How early does it open and how long does the early bird offer go on for?

I thought they opened a few hours before KO to allow the downing of gallons of ale, in nice surroundings with mates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here