Player ratings vs Ipswich (h)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Stockdale 7
Bruno 6
Duffy 7
Dunk 7 (MotM - better of a poor bunch last night)
Pocognoli 6
Knockaert 5
Stephens 6
Sidwell 7
March 5
Baldock 7
Hemed 6

Akpom 5
Murphy 6
Murray 6

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stockdale 7
Bruno 7
Duffy 5
Dunk 7
Pocognoli 6
Knockaert 4
Stephens 4
Sidwell 6
March 5
Hemed 5
Baldock 4

Murphy 6
Akpom 5
Murray 5

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stockdale 7
Bruno 7
Duffy 5
Dunk 7
Pocognoli 6
Knockaert 4
Stephens 4
Sidwell 6
March 5
Hemed 5
Baldock 4

Murphy 6
Akpom 5
Murray 5

Agree with this. Staggered that so many think Baldock was anything but absolutely useless last night, as was Hemed, penalty aside :shrug:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Credit to Stockdale, Dunk and Sidwell (MoM) plus Murphy from the bench last night and to a slightly lesser degree Bruno. Can't be arsed with everyone else, pretty mediocre.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale 7

Bruno 6
Poc 6
Duffy 6
Dunk 8

Stephens 5
Sidwell 8
Knockaert 5
March 5

Hemed 6
Baldock 5

Murphy 7
Akpom 6
Murray 6

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Agree with this. Staggered that so many think Baldock was anything but absolutely useless last night, as was Hemed, penalty aside :shrug:

Agree with this. We looked far more threatening when Akpom came on. Would start him next game....

Surprised at the low marks for Stephens though. Thought he was ok bar a few misplaced passes but pretty much the whole team did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Stockdale 8 -- No chance with the goal and a cuppla great blocks with his legs... super distribution (his best of the season)
Bruno 7 -- Defo pen. Worked hard, classy touches
Duffy 6 -- Wins most in the air but sometimes needs to nod it out to someone in blue and white
Dunk 8 -- MOTM Some superb interceptions and then pressing forward with cracking runs. No way a yellow.
Pocognoli 5 -- He's OK but no good enough for a top Championship team
Knockaert 4 -- You can forgive him everything. Works his socks off, rallies the crowd but was woeful tonight
Stephens 4 -- Oh dear, the worse I've seen him play
March 4 -- I was so looking forward to seeing him play after Burton but he was poor.
Baldock 6 -- Average, runs hard...his chance wasn't too bad just a good save
Hemed 6.5 -- Didn't do much but scored another perfect pen

Murray 6 -- Unlucky post shot... still looks sharp to me
Akpom 5 -- Very quick but don't think he kisses the badge
Murphy 8 -- The only real saving light of the night. Would have been MOTM if he'd played longer

This is the most accurate set of ratings I have read for a long time, no rose spectacles here, what you see is what you get.
Pognioli also played, and if you don't mind I will give him 5.5.
STEVENS has aspirations of playing in the Premier league, on last night's performance he will struggle to get into a Championship side.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stephens was still reflecting on his sell our interview with Naylor.... 4 at best.

Knocky was just trying to over complicate every thing, four back heels none actually worked. - 4.5

Stockdale made a few good saves, but rarely dominates his area, this causes panic. - 5.5

March was not helped by a flaky Pocognoli performance behind him, so gets a 6.

Sidwell -7

6.5 for every one else.

You think David Stockdale was the Albion's third WORST performer on the night?

Wow.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Stockdale 7--Did what he paid to do good day at the office
Bruno 7 -- Worked hard, is class act used all his experience not to get booked early on
Duffy 7--Wins almost everything in the air great clearances shame some of those clearances were over the Ipswich goal
Dunk 8 -- MOTM just class best player on the pitch
Pocognoli 6.5-- took a knock early on think this affected his game
Knockaert 5 Tried so hard probably a little to hard nothing much came off for him this happens to even the best
Stephens 5-- we are ok with one of the team having an off night but three is a problem think he needs to cut out the interviews and get on with his football
Sidwell--7 solid game
March 5-- the third of our team having a poor night however we need to remember they had a hard game. Saturday with another one in three days time.
Baldock 6.5-- unlucky not to score but to be honest was living off scraps
Hemed 6.5 -- Good Penalty other than that same as Balcock living off scraps

Murray 6 -- Really should have scored
Akpom 5 -- Looked better than Saturday but still looks a little powder puff to me, still needs time to settle in
Murphy 8 -- 7.5 from a strong bench he looked very dangerous

Ipswitch played very narrow which left our two battling midfielders Stevens and Sidwell to find themselves overrun at times and this in turn tended to pull Knockaert and March away from the wings which left our two forwards starved of decent service the Ref had a pretty poor game and did not help with some silly bookings a game that form said we should have won but Teams under Mick MaCarthy seem to do quite well against Chris Houghtons teams having said all that it's still a point we are still four points clear and it's still very much in our hands keep the faith

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
From the North Stand; 6 is average

Stockdale - 6.5 - Made some good saves but thought he could have done better for the goal and his kicking was sporadic.

Bruno - 5 - Offered little getting forward and left us exposed on more than one occasion at the back.
Pocognoli - 4.5 - Slightly worse than Bruno
Duffy - 6 - Brilliant header of the ball defensively, but his heading goes to shit in the opponents box.
Dunk - 7 - Had a good game, unlucky with the booking. Carried the ball well.

Knockeart - 4 - Tries too much. His emotions get the better of him and he tries to do it alone.
March - 4.5 - Same problem as AK. Tries to do too much. Prime example being when he slipped in the box when he'd had a chance to cross already.
Stephens - 3 - Don't think he found a player in a Brighton shirt in the first half. Marginally better in the second.
Sidwell - 8 - MOTM. Carried the entire team at points. Excellent display.

Hemed - 5 - Well taken penalty. Did nothing else of note. Not his day.
Baldock - 4 - I rate Baldock and understand what he brings to the team etc. But he was shit.

Murphy - 5 - Whilst AK & SM lacked end product due to trying too hard, Murphy lacked it due to a lack of ability.
Murray - 5 - Lazy. Offside way too much. Should have done better with his chance IMO.
Akpom - 6 - Impressed with his movement and how much he gets stuck in. Worried he'll lack end product though.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
You think David Stockdale was the Albion's third WORST performer on the night?

Wow.
Ask yourself why a good % of crosses from set piece ball into our box end up in a flustered panicked clearance... or worse a goal..... I don't think Stockdale dominates, Dunk and Duffy end up with too much pressure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Stockdale 8 - Good performance, commanding and solid
Bruno 8 -- Class act, a fine performance
Duffy 8 - An absolute rock at the back, excellent
Dunk 9 - Rock solid again, and excellent bringing the ball out and starting attacks
Pocognoli 7 - A quietly effective and efficient performance
Knockaert 6 - Not at his best but still the most dangerous attacking outlet and always looking to influence proceedings
Stephens 7 - Slightly rusty but still you can see the quality of his play on the ball, industrious.
Sidwell 7 - Tidy performance
March 6 - Not his best performance, but still much to admire
Baldock 7 - Makes some fantastic intelligent runs, just wasn't picked out, on another day would have got himself on the scoresheet
Hemed 8 - Fantastic penalty, a real danger in the box

Murray 6 - Looked fatigued to me
Akpom 7 - Lightning pace, could be a real asset
Murphy 9 - A fine cameo, looked our most dangerous player

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
So Murphy's gone from a waste of space to first name on the team sheet in 20 minutes and March has gone from the new Ryan Giggs to the new Gabrielle Ambrosetti in 70.

At least it's still interesting.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
So Murphy's gone from a waste of space to first name on the team sheet in 20 minutes and March has gone from the new Ryan Giggs to the new Gabrielle Ambrosetti in 70.

At least it's still interesting.

Exactly. Some defenders can't handle certain wingers. Last nights right back had March for 70 mins running at him then a completely different style of winger in Murphy running at him, it's no wonder Murphy ran rings round him.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stockdale 8 - kept us in it, to be quite frank.
Bruno 7 - a decent performance, although didn't help us overload their wingback as well as he should have.
Duffy 5 - given a torrid time, particularly when pressed.
Dunk 7 - better than his partner, but not particularly outstanding.
Pocognoli 6 - got forward quite well, but his final ball wasn't where it needs to be. Dealt with their tricky wing back rather well too, after a tricky start.
Knocky 4 - just a very bad day at the office. Marked up for effort, but his final ball / shooting was very poor.
Stephens 5 - the worst I've seen him play in a while, giving the ball away at crucial times. Not helped by CHs tactics.
Sidwell 7 - also not helped by the team's tactics, but better than Stephens and kept us competitive.
March 6 - a shame about his stumble in the box. Didn't do enough to isolate the right wing back.
Hemed 5 - scored, but he had a poor game otherwise and was rightly hooked.
Baldock 6 - his movement was excellent, and he worked really hard, but his miss was key.

Murphy 6 - did well when he came on, but as always, his end product wasn't good enough.
Murray 7 - I know he didn't score, but he showed in 25 minutes why he should always start when fit. Linked play far better than the other forwards, kept the ball, and his movement was of a much higher standard.
Akpom 5 - a great ball through to Murray aside, he looked slow and sluggish. Considering the stick James Wilson got on these boards last year, I fear for Akpom, as he looks half the player.

CH 4 - outdone tactically. Picked the wrong side. Didn't make his subsituations quick enough. Like Knocky, a bad day at the office.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ask yourself why a good % of crosses from set piece ball into our box end up in a flustered panicked clearance... or worse a goal..... I don't think Stockdale dominates, Dunk and Duffy end up with too much pressure.

I believe I know a tiny bit about goal-keeping, cheers.

He does just fine. There was one 'panic' - when they ended up hitting the post, and having it cleared off the line. No real danger from crosses, on the whole. The goal was a terrific ball in. Nothing he could do about that at all. Are you the guy behind me who complained in the second half, when he punched one out (for a throw in) asking why he didn't 'just catch it' (at full stretch)?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

He does just fine. There was one 'panic' - when they ended up hitting the post, and having it cleared off the line. No real danger from crosses, on the whole. The goal was a terrific ball in. Nothing he could do about that at all. Are you the guy behind me who complained in the second half, when he punched one out (for a throw in) asking why he didn't 'just catch it' (at full stretch)?

The stats may well problematise this, but I'm of the view that we've increasingly got a problem with set-pieces, by which I mean everything that involves us attacking or defending the goal, bar penalties (where we seem to be amazing at both ends). Obviously, we've got a hugely impressive goal difference (+26 from memory), but I do wonder how many we've scored and conceded from non-penalty set pieces, and suspect that there may be a negative register there. If this is the case, it's somewhat surprising given that we're a fairly big side, and have got strong headers of the ball, including our two CBs, Murray and/or Hemed are excellent defensively (at least), and then throw in Bruno, Stephens and Sidwell, perhaps even Bong.
I'm posing this more as a question really (perhaps it deserves its own thread): is it the case that we have a negative register on set-pieces and, if so, why?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

There were a number of panic moments... and the goal, a repeat of quite a few similar situations over the last few seasons.... he is often rooted in the 6 yard box....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here