Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains tomorrow (Sat 24th)

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
If you're coming from west of Chichester tomorrow, be prepared for a VERY extended journey. Buses replace trains between Chi and Littlehampton. It says on the Southern website that journey times will be extended by up to 30 minutes. However the reality is (especially if you're coming from Southampton), the usual 1 hour 45 takes 3 hours 15!!

The alternative of going via Clapham Junction isn't great either, as Victoria to East Croydon is completely banjoed too, with most trains running out of London Bridge.

In other train news, Southern claim they're running a full matchday timetable. I'm sure you'll all join me in saying I'll believe it when I see it...

el punal

If you're coming from west of Chichester tomorrow, be prepared for a VERY extended journey. Buses replace trains between Chi and Littlehampton. It says on the Southern website that journey times will be extended by up to 30 minutes. However the reality is (especially if you're coming from Southampton), the usual 1 hour 45 takes 3 hours 15!!

The alternative of going via Clapham Junction isn't great either, as Victoria to East Croydon is completely banjoed too, with most trains running out of London Bridge.

In other train news, Southern claim they're running a full matchday timetable. I'm sure you'll all join me in saying I'll believe it when I see it...

I found at all this information a couple of days ago. I then tried out a permutation of various routes to get me to the beloved Amex. All in all it would have ended up as a round trip of over SIX hours for essentially a journey of sixty miles each way. Then on top of all that there is the dreaded spectre of . . . . train cancelled because of staff shortages!

I have given up. I am now driving to Shoreham, parking the car, and hopefully, very, very hopefully will able to catch a train to Brighton without a problem. Fingers crossed!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I found at all this information a couple of days ago. I then tried out a permutation of various routes to get me to the beloved Amex. All in all it would have ended up as a round trip of over SIX hours for essentially a journey of sixty miles each way. Then on top of all that there is the dreaded spectre of . . . . train cancelled because of staff shortages!

I have given up. I am now driving to Shoreham, parking the car, and hopefully, very, very hopefully will able to catch a train to Brighton without a problem. Fingers crossed!

You might be better off stumping up a few quid and jumping on the #2 bus. Get off near Churchill Square and jump on the #25 from there using your match ticket. Same on the way back. Avoid the trains entirely.

el punal

You might be better off stumping up a few quid and jumping on the #2 bus. Get off near Churchill Square and jump on the #25 from there using your match ticket. Same on the way back. Avoid the trains entirely.

Thanks for that! Surely though a match ticket would cover the cost of the #2 bus as Shoreham is within the Albion travel zone?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Wherever you park in Shoreham, make for the A259 (High Street or Brighton Road) and catch the Stagecoach 700 to Brighton Churchill Square. This route in more direct and quicker than the No.2. 700s run every 10 minutes, 2s every 20 minutes.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm going in the other direction to watch #twats v Barnet (as a Bees follower). I really don't know the best option as I hate rail replacement buses but as pointed out, Clapham Junction is also severe b@ll@ck ache. I'm running out of patience with Southern as just a normal journey incurs delays, cancellations and replacement buses. Looks like an early start to make up some drinking time.

What started as a day out to look forward to now looks like being the best part of a six-hour runaround.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Wherever you park in Shoreham, make for the A259 (High Street or Brighton Road) and catch the Stagecoach 700 to Brighton Churchill Square. This route in more direct and quicker than the No.2. 700s run every 10 minutes, 2s every 20 minutes.

Also a good option. Definitely not covered by your match ticket but the cost is negligible I believe.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Route 2 B&H Buses (from Shoreham or Steyning)

Route 700 StageCoach (from Worthing)

Both of these buses are covered by matchday tickets.

If you decide on the No.2 then you can change at Palmeira Square to join the 25 to the Amex. This is the start of the 25 service and you will be guaranteed a seat!

el punal

Thanks for the info. and advice everyone. I'm slightly hamstrung here as I'm meeting my son-in-law and grandson at Brighton station as they're travelling down from East Croydon for the match. Hopefully they will have a stress free journey, then we can all relax, have a drink and enjoy the game.

I take it that trains are running to Falmer without problems?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Have looked for you mate and found this route Depart Soton 0830 Arr Woking 0919 Dep 0925 Arr Guildford 0933 Dep 1010[ Spoons 5 mins down the road] Arr Gatwick 1050 Dep 1105 into Brighton 1139 . All trains running.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
National rail journey planner listing all trains as possibly subject to delays due to staff shortages, so I am not going to take a chance and rely on buses instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here