Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Great photos, looks like a northern classic more than a more south France TDF stage.

Wheres the selfie....

in that photo there was actually a lull in the rain,when it rains down here,it really does come down

the funny thing was the pavements were quite narrow and the gutters were overflowing,is was like taking a cold shower

that corner was perilous,it had 3 man hole covers on it and it was tighter than it looks,2 gendarmes on bikes nearly lost it there literally crawling round

so impressed with the riders yesterday,the weather might of been shit,but seeing the tour is always spectaular

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looking at the equivalent thread 2 years ago for The official 99th Tour de France thread 2012, there were almost 2,000 comments at 1,858!

I expect that there is far less interest without Cavendish and Wiggins, but was surprised at how much less.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking at the equivalent thread 2 years ago for The official 99th Tour de France thread 2012, there were almost 2,000 comments at 1,858!

I expect that there is far less interest without Cavendish and Wiggins, but was surprised at how much less.
I was thinking much the same.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

It because Im working too hard and not posting enough , I normally have at least a week of the tour off - and tomorrow Horsham beckons for the cricket :lolol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm so glad about the lack of TTs this year. They really are dull to watch, aren't they, and that was no exception.

Fewer replies in the thread this year will be entirely due to the fact that there is so little British interest. Mainstream news has also virtually ignored the race since Cav and Froome crashed out. This, along with the TdF moving to France (!) has probably meant that the casual observer is not casually observing.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
veins.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've no objection to watching TT's personally. Had Froome & Bert still been in today could have proved really edge of your seat viewing. As it was the only real drama today was poor Bardet having a mechanical which cost him his 5th place on GC to TJVG.

Looking at Huzarski's legs there is pretty shocking. I knew varicose veins was a down side for pro cyclists, but thought that was just down the back of the calves. Are those permanent for Huzarski does anyone know or will they ease off after the strains of a Grand Tour has eased back?

At this point I could post a picture of Ten dam at the end of a TT but I'll hold back in case anyone is eating whilst reading this.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think that is more to do with 0% body fat. Also, he's been exerting himself. At rest, it'll all deflate.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My final little bet on what has been a profitable TdF for me is a £1 e/w on Bennati @ 50/1

I fully expect Kittel to win, but there's no value in him or the other big guns. Bennati has got stronger as the race has gone on and Saxo have already had a great plan B tour. He's their lead sprinter, and whilst no where near the fastest on a straight flat sprint like this, he's possibly the best of the outsiders with his experience.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So...the TdF ends. No posts at all during the final stage, and I found this thread on page 2. Is everyone out on their bikes?

So, Kittel from Kristoff as expected, the two Ps talking up EVERY breakaway's chance of success, including Porte and then Clarke right near the end, neither of who could have won without the Champs Élysées opening up and swallowing the rest of the riders.

Peraud down near the end, but the peleton did the decent thing, sat up and waited.

I really enjoyed the 101st edition, and haven't got my usual suspicions...well not to the usual degree, anyway.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So...the TdF ends. No posts at all during the final stage, and I found this thread on page 2. Is everyone out on their bikes?

So, Kittel from Kristoff as expected, the two Ps talking up EVERY breakaway's chance of success, including Porte and then Clarke right near the end, neither of who could have won without the Champs Élysées opening up and swallowing the rest of the riders.

Peraud down near the end, but the peleton did the decent thing, sat up and waited.

I really enjoyed the 101st edition, and haven't got my usual suspicions...well not to the usual degree, anyway.

I tried to ease off posting a bit as I've hogged the thread as it is again. Anyway, here's another one.

I think it's been a great race from start to finish. The parcours have been particularly good, encouraging exciting attacking racing.

I think the greatest shame about losing Bert and Froome would be for Nibs to have his win devalued by anyone. I never imagined it going into the race, but the way the race was raced I think Nibali really could have just about held off any challenge in the end. It's a fantastic win for him and you can only beat what's in front of you. I'm really pleased for him.

Shame to have lost Cav as aside from Kristoff, no one really looked like giving Kittel a challenge. Although again, that shouldn't devalue Kittel's achievements as I think Cav would have had trouble living with him anyway.

The crowds that we managed to get out, every day for three days, were bloody amazing! That's something for us to be proud of, even if G was our only rider to arrive in Paris.

It's been a great race for the French, and aside from the GC efforts of Peraud, Pinot and Bardet, there's been some stand out efforts from Gallopin, Moinard, Gautier and Reza throughout the race too. Looks like I'll have to wait another year for Rudy to make his breakthrough.

Finally, rather than prattle on forever...

...as a final chapeau to the organisers - the only subjective award in the race they managed to get spot on too. De Marchi a well deserved winner of the red number for most aggressive rider.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here