Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading v M'Boro Thread

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
We've struggled for goals against most sides, top, middle and bottom. The reasons for that are clear as daylight, and are the same reasons as to why we look more like scoring against teams that play an attacking and open game, from Leicester at one end to Charlton at the other. The home form has suffered for exactly that reason - most teams come and sit deep and pack the midfield to stop us playing. Teams with more firepower than us struggle at home in those circumstances.

Then surely we need to come up with some tactics to overcome this? Other teams have managed it against the same opposition. It just seems that if the keep-ball, slow build up doesn't work, there isn't anything else.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The surely we need to come up with some tactics to overcome this? Other teams have managed it against the same opposition. It just seems that if the keep-ball, slow build up doesn't work, there isn't anything else.

The tactics are there but we don't necessarily have the players capable of executing them. That is neither the player's nor Garcia's fault. The Crofts injury was a turning point as we did not have another player at the club capable of dominating the central midfield and getting forward and still being able to hit the target 9 times out of 10, and have struggled against sides who pack the midfield since.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
We've struggled for goals against most sides, top, middle and bottom. The reasons for that are clear as daylight, and are the same reasons as to why we look more like scoring against teams that play an attacking and open game, from Leicester at one end to Charlton at the other. The home form has suffered for exactly that reason - most teams come and sit deep and pack the midfield to stop us playing. Teams with more firepower than us struggle at home in those circumstances.

michael-barrymore.jpg

Feb 14, 2010
The Brighton players bottled it over the last what 6 weeks. They needed an already promoted side with a hangover to get a win and then Huddersfield and Blackpool. Bottlers and failures but still there will be 28000 at home on Friday. The players simply dont deserve that support.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
NOTHING would be as big as an embarrassment as last May.

You think...... So you would be happy or give the manager and squad a pass if we got hammered by an in form Wigan or an on fire Charlie Austin at QPR...... One thing you can be sure of is the Albion have a sublime way of surpassing what has gone before. We are inept in front of goal at the moment when to be fair we should have this play off spot sown up after against Huddersfield and Blackpool, but we don't and that's because we are simply not good enough. We are prolonging the agony of a nothing season, in a very poor league where very few teams can string a good substainal run together. However you never know, but we do don't we..... We have blown it

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You think...... So you would be happy or give the manager and squad a pass if we got hammered by an in form Wigan or an on fire Charlie Austin at QPR...... One thing you can be sure of is the Albion have a sublime way of surpassing what has gone before. We are inept in front of goal at the moment when to be fair we should have this play off spot sown up after against Huddersfield and Blackpool, but we don't and that's because we are simply not good enough. We are prolonging the agony of a nothing season, in a very poor league where very few teams can string a good substainal run together. However you never know, but we do don't we..... We have blown it

Nothing like a complete overreacting knee-jerk reaction.....

Guess we would be smashed just like we were against Lei.....oh wait, we won that 4-1. Again, we do well against good teams, crap against crap teams.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
The tactics are there but we don't necessarily have the players capable of executing them. That is neither the player's nor Garcia's fault. The Crofts injury was a turning point as we did not have another player at the club capable of dominating the central midfield and getting forward and still being able to hit the target 9 times out of 10, and have struggled against sides who pack the midfield since.

Sorry, I don't agree. This squad has enough talent to dispose of teams like Blackpool at home. Tactics, an attacking formation, God forbid two strikers (like any other successful team in this division) but no, its the same thing week after week.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The PL would be well shit anyway.

I bloody love the Championship.

:)

MACCAPACCA

Feb 18, 2009
Worthing
At the end of the day, come the big summer clear out, is there really anyone in our squad who is truly indispensable and I would be truly gutted to see leave. Off the top of my head I think that almost every one of our squad has faults. Greer not a leader, Lua inconsistent, Andrews too defensive etc. The only one with true quality week in week out is probably Upson, and he might just go.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Sorry, I don't agree. This squad has enough talent to dispose of teams like Blackpool at home. Tactics, an attacking formation, God forbid two strikers (like any other successful team in this division) but no, its the same thing week after week.

I agree we could do with a Plan B sometimes (as was the case last season also), but you can't blame a manager sticking to a formation that spanked the Champions 4-1 at their patch by having a mobile and interchanging midfield that they couldn't pick up. You can't do that with 4-4-2, and like 4-4-2 sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, as there's always the factor you can't control - how well the other team play. I think we've given some teams, Blackpool included, less credit than they deserve.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Nothing like a complete overreacting knee-jerk reaction.....

Guess we would be smashed just like we were against Lei.....oh wait, we won that 4-1. Again, we do well against good teams, crap against crap teams.

Oh you mean the fact Derby Co did the double over us, and have lost to Wigan at home means we have nothing to fear from the two strongest teams in the play offs then. I am not being defeatist just a realist, it would be nice to sneak it through the play offs, but in all reality I want to go up better prepared and go up by playing good attacking football we can be proud of and with some tweeting here and there we could do that next season. We don't deserve to go up just like we didn't last year or against Notts County all those years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here