Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season of failure?

Walker_this_way

Oct 18, 2011
Is it just me who thinks that if we weren't to finish in the play-offs this would be a failed season?

I know a lot of fair-weather fans, and a few die-hards, who think that just because we finished in the play-offs last season that guarantees that we should finish there consistently from now on.

With a new manager there is always going to be a transition period and I for one think finishing say 7th, a point of so off the top six would be a decent campaign.

We sold Bridcutt and Barnes and people still expect us to be one of the favourites for promotion, when really we don't have a good enough squad for it.

Don't get me wrong at times the football we play is boring and lacklustre when we should press forward instead. But overall it's not been a bad season. We've had poor performances but so has every other club, similarly we have won games we should have so it balances out.

I think Oscar has been unfairly blamed for the times we have lost but the same blame needs to be put on the players when they under-perform.

Bottom line if we don't make the play-offs that does not make this a bad season and we should use it as a stepping stone to push on next campaign. Cardiff were in the Championship ten years before getting promoted!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's been a very good season everything considered. People are completely losing perspective at the moment. We have NO divine right to the top 6.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Is it just me who thinks that if we weren't to finish in the play-offs this would be a failed season?

I was expecting s season of consolidation in the top half of the table, so anything better than that is a bonus. I really don't see how it can be classed as a failure unless the expectations are unreasonable

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I've convinced myself that if we do make the top 6 we will win the playoffs, as it is always the team that struggles over the finish line

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All things considered I think it has been an okay season. Certainly not a failure. But I am expecting us to progress next season. And I do not just use the league position as progress.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
With Albion flirting with the play offs all season I think its only natural some fans will be disappointed - in the long term they will neither recollect on this season as a failure nor a success because its all about transition. Realistically its going to take a miracle to win the play offs with the current squad - although the occasion in itself would be fascinating.

Football demands instant success nowadays and that's just a just a culture instilled within fans and clubs created by British media - but perspective is something Albion are much better at dealing with than most - the Championship is a fantastic league and its probably going to take a little while longer to reach the top tier. There's no rush... 2014 has been a fantastic learning curve and will serve Albion well for the foreseeable future.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Seeing as Bloom said he expected Top 6 then anything less is a failure

Choose your words carefully, i'm quite sure he never said he 'expects' it, more that it is the 'target'. Completely different words with completely different meanings.

Personally, if we don't get the play-offs this season then it will not be a failure. Many thought this would be a transitional season and to still be in the hunt with 2 games to go is great.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
With Albion flirting with the play offs all season I think its only natural some fans will be disappointed - in the long term they will neither recollect on this season as a failure nor a success because its all about transition. Realistically its going to take a miracle to win the play offs with the current squad - although the occasion in itself would be fascinating.

Football demands instant success nowadays and that's just a just a culture instilled within fans and clubs created by British media - but perspective is something Albion are much better at dealing with than most - the Championship is a fantastic league and its probably going to take a little while longer to reach the top tier. There's no rush... 2014 has been a fantastic learning curve and will serve Albion well for the foreseeable future.

If we make them I think we'll do well. Look at our results against the better teams in the league. Smash Leicester in their own back yard? No problem. Get a win at home against lowly Blackpool? Dream on.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
To the OP, I don't think the first sentence of your post says what you mean. it indicates you will be disappointed, when the rest of the post says you are quite happy.

But pedantry apart, I agree. With two games to go, I am happy to be where we are, and will not be too worried if we miss out on the playoffs.

I will be more interested in what happens over the close season, who comes, who goes, whose contracts are not renewed, and to see what Oscar can do with a proper and (hopefully) settled pre-season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It'll be disappointing if we don't make the top given that we still have a good chance with 2 games left, but not a failure.

A top half of the table finish could be seen as success given the bad luck we've had this season with long term injuries to so many key players: Ulloa, Bridcutt, Orlandi, Crofts, Buckley.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The trouble is football fans are just so fickle and short termist in nature.

I think comparisons between us and Cardiff/Swansea are apt they took their time getting promoted and in the case of Swansea slowly built a team around a style of football before getting their rewards. Although Cardiff did eventually just throw money at the situation.

It might be a frustrating time for the more short term of fans as I believe we will see a move towards trying to develop youger players and less immediate money spent on transfers unless the deal makes complete sense (for example Dale Stephens). This is ultimately why Oscar has been brought in so he can encourage the development of players at BHAFC (his former role being Barcelona youth coach).

At the start of the season I said I would be happy with anything above 10th and he has achieved that, although I am concerned with the style of football we are currently but also remember when Macabi fans were telling us that he'll start of cautious and begin to develop a more attacking style of play only time will tell if that comes to fruition. So I think patience will be a real virtue for any Brighton fan going forward.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Yes. Failure on a massive scale. Blackpool and yeovil at home and win both then we'd be in the play offs meaning if we failed in the play offs then look at the cash we would of made and Barber would have been banging one out. Teams from 6th to 12th would have seen the remaining fixtures and would have been gutted to see our last 2 home games but now they are laughing.

If any other team had the run in like us then they'd have smashed these teams. Us?, We are bottle jobs on a massive scale. Need a total overhaul in the summer as these players who bang on about wanting to play in the premiership aren't good enough and the ones out of contact should be gone and replaced. Barber say's were Premiership ready? Maybe on the stadium and training ground but the squad is light years away.

In order for us to reach the premiership and stay there then you need quality players and they cost money and we aren't willing to pay that because of FFP so we'll be forever be mid table or fighting relegation.

Look at the top 5 teams bar Burnley. It's like the premiership and we can't compete with that and it'll get worse as the money for prem teams who get relegated increases while we have to cut cloth.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Given the handicaps facing us this season (summer tantrums, new manager, massive injury list) I think we have done exceptionally well. I had us down as finishing 7th or possibly 8th and so we are ahead of expectations for me - definitely not a season of failure.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Look at the top 5 teams bar Burnley. It's like the premiership and we can't compete with that and it'll get worse as the money for prem teams who get relegated increases while we have to cut cloth.

How about Derby? They've more than competed without throwing money at the squad.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
How about Derby? They've more than competed without throwing money at the squad.

Don't let logic get in the way of blind anger.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I don't think he did. Can you find any evidence of him saying that?

I disticntly remember Bloom saying that at the pre-season fans forum.

But to answer the point of the thread, this season has not been a failure at all...Although I can understand that this maybe the case with fans with unrealistic expectations.

For me, the expectation was to stay-up as a minimum and we have done that comfortably so I am satisfied with this season.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports