Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rod Stewart Tickets......not going so well?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
From the numbers I saw the Amex one are selling fairly well but goodness knows why they thought £80 was a good price.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You obviously don't realise one of them is sung at every Brighton game, with a variation of words

Ernest singing Do You Think I'm Sexy?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Who is for christ's sake.....

I remember an interview Bowie gave some years ago, when CD piracy was taking hold, and even MP3 sharing was emerging. He said then that artists would have to re-evaluate how they earn their money as record/CD sales were going to decline. He stated then that touring was going to have to make up the difference for those wanting to continue earning from their talent, and that artists were going to have to "up their game" on stage for it to work.

He cited a tour (by Streisand I think), there were to be several shows in Paris, but the show was reviewed as really very poor, and the ticket prices very high, the shows were cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.

I guess these things all have had an impact on ticket prices rocketing, but the venues, and quality of shows generally have improved immensely.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I remember an interview Bowie gave some years ago, when CD piracy was taking hold, and even MP3 sharing was emerging. He said then that artists would have to re-evaluate how they earn their money as record/CD sales were going to decline. He stated then that touring was going to have to make up the difference for those wanting to continue earning from their talent, and that artists were going to have to "up their game" on stage for it to work.

He cited a tour (by Streisand I think), there were to be several shows in Paris, but the show was reviewed as really very poor, and the ticket prices very high, the shows were cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.

I guess these things all have had an impact on ticket prices rocketing, but the venues, and quality of shows generally have improved immensely.

I disagree no one is worth £80 for maybe 2 hours if your very lucky even that is £40 an hour.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I disagree no one is worth £80 for maybe 2 hours if your very lucky even that is £40 an hour.

I tihnk he meant it when you factor in the falling revenue for sales of recordings due to piracy/theft, then for an artist to continue earning, and I guess be able to continue improving, then the get the big bucks, touring was the solution. I agree, £80 for anyone is too much, but it is a supply and demand thing, and as he said, you have to get the demand right if you are going to set high prices.

Don't think it has anything to do with what you or I think someone is worth, because the wider public will decide that by buying (or not buying) the tickets, and there are a lot of very well attended shows at places like the O2, with very high ticket prices.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Went to see him at Twickenham a few years ago and it was the dullest gig I ever saw. He's not suited to stadiums.

Indoors yes but not stadiums.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Don't think it has anything to do with what you or I think someone is worth, because the wider public will decide that by buying (or not buying) the tickets, and there are a lot of very well attended shows at places like the O2, with very high ticket prices.

unless it is a large line up of a few well know stars of any genre then more fool them & as sales have clearly shown for Rod maybe he is just past it playing at such great cities as Brighton, Stoke, Falkirk, Blackpool and Taunton.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Saw him last year at the O2, got my tickets for free a couple of days before on Show Film First. Was actually surprised that he was so good, I thought it'd be rubbish.

I'd probably just wait until closer to the time of the gig (not that I'm going again, but as advice to anyone who's on the fence with this), surely they'd rather give away free tickets than have thousands of empty seats. More drinks sold and all that etc...

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Paul Weller boring? How very dare you sir!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here