Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Before They Were Famous

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I went to Warwick uni at the same time as Stephen Merchant who was on the same course as a good friend of mine. Apparently we met at loads of parties but I was way too blitzed to ever remember. All the way through his rise to fame my friend kept saying "remember Steve? He is doing a show called blah, blah, blah now".

Also at Warwick at the same time was Hannah Waterman but she had a famous daddy so not sure she counts?

Some bird called Katie Price stopped me getting off with her mate down the Paradox.

But the best I have is that an ex girlfriend of mine used to go out with some git from Wales who used to go out with Catherine Zeta Jones before she did Darling Buds of May. I guess maybe somehow our DNA might have met...

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I was reminded by one of my sisters recently that she'd dated Doug Scarrot and that he was a lead/rythm guitarist of Saxon. I used to go to his house on the corner of Olive and Old Shoreham Road to jam with him when must have been a teenager. He's still playing with them after all these years. Me...pawned my last guitar in 2015 but haven't completely given up.

I knew/know a girl who used to go out with Doug Scarratt. Was late 70s. Broke up early 80s I believe but possibly earlier. She had two brothers but no sisters so presumably it wasn't your sister as your post indicates you have more than one sister.

Have just google Doug Scarratt to see what came up. Curiously he has an Italian Wiki page devoted exclusively to him but no UK/English language one. He must have an ardent Italian fan who set it up. Doug appeared on that channel 4 documentary devoted to Saxon but didn't get to say much if anything. It was totally dominated by their lead singer who came across as a bit of a knob.
https://youtu.be/ekrAHJtl3-g
https://youtu.be/G-yaAj20s0Y

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I played cricket against Mike Gatting when he was 14yo and I was about 28yo, I was at school with Ian Dury, he was in the year above me, he can be seen on old RGS High Wycombe school photos with a DA haircut, a drape blazer and an unusually narrow school tie, he wanted to be "sweet Gene Vincent" even back then.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I knew/know a girl who used to go out with Doug Scarratt. Was late 70s. Broke up early 80s I believe but possibly earlier. She had two brothers but no sisters so presumably it wasn't your sister as your post indicates you have more than one sister.

Have just google Doug Scarratt to see what came up. Curiously he has an Italian Wiki page devoted exclusively to him but no UK/English language one. He must have an ardent Italian fan who set it up. Doug appeared on that channel 4 documentary devoted to Saxon but didn't get to say much if anything. It was totally dominated by their lead singer who came across as a bit of a knob.
https://youtu.be/ekrAHJtl3-g
https://youtu.be/G-yaAj20s0Y

think the lead singer's called Biff and can be a bit scary (apparently)

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Went to secondary school in Crawley. In the year below me was Gareth Southgate, who while at the school went out with a sister of one of my friends. In my brothers class was a kid from a weird religious family called Dan Walker.

My daughter worked in the local Corner Shop (in Crawley) at weekends, and one morning she refused to sell Gareth the Champagne that he wanted, as it wasn't yet 11:00 and so they weren't licensed - he actually used the line "do you know who I am?".
BTW It was his Wedding Day, so he really should have planned ahead methinks =0)

His mum was a Dinner Lady at my kids school.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
My daughter worked in the local Corner Shop (in Crawley) at weekends, and one morning she refused to sell Gareth the Champagne that he wanted, as it wasn't yet 11:00 and so they weren't licensed - he actually used the line "do you know who I am?".

Can’t imagine Gareth saying that

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
You younger readers might not know him, but the oldies certainly should.

Mike Smith?
An Englishman who became Manager of the Wales National Football team a few years back?

He was my P.E. Teacher at Brighton Grammar School back in the mid to late 60's.
He was quite a scary man!

He absolutely insisted that every single boy had a shower after the lesson, and enforced the rule with a crack of a plimsoll across your bare arse if you weren't in and out of the shower in less than 3 minutes.
A plimsoll across a dripping wet bare arse bloody hurts I can tell you!
Nobody went home and complained to Mummy, we just accepted it.
How times have changed.

and Mike Smith's assistant P.E teacher was ......... none other than Mike Yaxley who went on to serve as BHA's physio for many successful years.

When you consider how their careers progressed, Smith & Yaxley was a bit of a dream P.E. team looking back!

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Went to secondary school in Crawley. In the year below me was Gareth Southgate, who while at the school went out with a sister of one of my friends. In my brothers class was a kid from a weird religious family called Dan Walker.

I was at Hazelwick too, sounds like I was 3 years below you.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick

I don’t think Gareth’s mum was a dinner lady, I think she worked in the school office alongside my mum.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
My dad 'stepped out' a few times with Dusty Springfield back in the day allegedly.

Explains a lot.

I met Mary O'Brien in my local pub(Locomotive Wick) back in the early 60s, and I can assure you that your dad would have had no chance with her. Your mum, maybe!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I grew up in the same road as Ian Collier, later known by the stage name "Griff Fender" when he was in the band Darts. He was the one who sang lead vocals on "Daddy Cool". He was a few years older than me but I visited his house a few times through knowing his younger sister. In his early twenties (mid 1970s) he started going out with a black girl called Lydia which I remember provoked comments of strong disapproval amongst a couple of the more elderly residents of the road. Lydia later became known as Rita Ray and was the female member of Darts. She later became a DJ and a presenter on the BBC World Service specifically promoting African and World Music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here