Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Farage Watch 2018

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just makes it all the more upsetting to see what we are becoming.

Now stop it. You’re dragging yourself down unnecessarily and everyone with you. Really is no need.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Again, I see your point but it is largely recognised now that the term "racism" covers prejudice towards different races, ethnicities and nationalities.
I detest racism, and if we use it as an umbrella term to cover wider issues I think it loses it's weight.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Own country or culture. (It reads gramatically that way too if you read the full sentence in context with the previous one - I wasn't saying "your own kind" or something like that if that's how you read it).

& I wasn't talking so much about current politics or policy, I was talking more generally about things like British Common Law and it's influence historically and around the world. Other influences like literature and our role in important scientific and technological achievements historically, things like that.

I'm certainly not talking about being proud of Theresa May or Tony Blair etc.

I have moments when I am proud to belong to these shores, but if you want to take pride in the History of this land, and there is plenty, you need to ignore things like the Irish Famine, the Bengal Famine, The Partition of India, Concentration and Labour camps in Africa.
I see both sides, and I can't see things like the Falklands conflict as a proud moment for Britain, because Thatcher left the door open for the Argentines to invade in the first place. Every death there was avoidable if Thatcher had maintained the Naval presence. Though I am proud of the job our forces did there.
I don't feel a need to take the shame of the horrors of our history, and I don't feel I should take pride in its Glory moments.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I detest racism, and if we use it as an umbrella term to cover wider issues I think it loses it's weight.

To be fair your definition of racism has been pretty much outdated since around 2000 when the United Nations conference declared that prejudice towards different nations is classed as racism. If you prefer I could call it Xenophobia but it's a bit outdated. Even the 1965 race race relations act states that racism is "less favourable treatment on grounds of colour, race, or ethnic or national origins".

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Why not? I count myself fortunate I live in the worlds oldest democracy, albeit I acknowledge a significant minority don’t respect this and want to replace it with some sort of dictatorship. But that’s what you get when you allow millions of others from around the world to live here - a lot of difference in opinion! Hopefully in time they’ll understand how we do things here because I really do think we can do a lot worse. Who wants to be governed by unelected officials or a old style dictator after all?

You are an extremely sad and very ignorant person.
I honestly feel very sorry for people who think like you do.
Don't wait for a reply from me because you are not going to get one.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The abolition of slavery is not really that much to be proud of considering we pioneered it, and made it a great business, then got cold feet.

Yeah as if the British invented it.
The Jews of the old testament escaping from Egypt with the help of the sea closing on their enemy was probably a bit earlier.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You are an extremely sad and very ignorant person.
I honestly feel very sorry for people who think like you do.
Don't wait for a reply from me because you are not going to get one.

:drama::flounce:???

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The Jews of the old testament escaping from Egypt with the help of the sea closing on their enemy was probably a bit earlier.

Right. While we certianly played as much of a role in the Atlantic slave trade as anyone else, slavery goes back to probably as far as 3000BC maybe even earlier.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I have moments when I am proud to belong to these shores, but if you want to take pride in the History of this land, and there is plenty, you need to ignore things like the Irish Famine, the Bengal Famine, The Partition of India, Concentration and Labour camps in Africa.
I see both sides, and I can't see things like the Falklands conflict as a proud moment for Britain, because Thatcher left the door open for the Argentines to invade in the first place. Every death there was avoidable if Thatcher had maintained the Naval presence. Though I am proud of the job our forces did there.
I don't feel a need to take the shame of the horrors of our history, and I don't feel I should take pride in its Glory moments.

To be proud (or appreciative, I'm not a big fan of "pride" per se) of our achievements and contributions to the world is not to ignore everything wrong that has ever been done by this country, I don't accept that. & I don't accept that the two (our wrongs and our rights) are comparable in measure or in scale.

I don't really see it as glory either. I'm not glad that we brought English Common Law to the world, and all the good that brings, because we can be and feel glorified by it. I'm glad (and appreciative) because it has made the world a profoundly better place.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He stopped receiving money eyes ago..
To be frank it's not the EU's money its every members money so it's right that some members have freedom of speech.People talk like the EU is a country that earns it's money.

He will be getting his Salary until we leave, and then he will get his Pension. But not knowing what the truth is has has never stopped you posting before I suppose.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He will be getting his Salary until we leave, and then he will get his Pension. But not knowing what the truth is has has never stopped you posting before I suppose.

He also famously boasted he has received over £2m in expenses. He is still receiving a salary from the EU.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I know! YouTube is full of SocialJusticeWarriors getting ‘owned’ in arguments through pig ignorance. If only they spent a little more time in the library on campus than on the outrage picket line or squeezing spots they’d win some respect. But their arguments are so easily unpicked by fairly basic history or public domain facts that it’s hard not to just laugh at. But then, they’re mostly only kids, full of anger, wanna change the world but sadly don’t know anything yet which, in fairness, is a stage we all go through.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

We perfected it, then suddenly got a conscience and became the self righteous hippocrates we are still today. We espouse all these great social values of freedom and charity and social conscience in a country where we are quite happy to accept homelessness, food banks, underfunded education and health services and working poverty for millions.

Yes, be proud.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can I just point out that nobody has claimed the British invented slavery.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
To be fair your definition of racism has been pretty much outdated since around 2000 when the United Nations conference declared that prejudice towards different nations is classed as racism. If you prefer I could call it Xenophobia but it's a bit outdated. Even the 1965 race race relations act states that racism is "less favourable treatment on grounds of colour, race, or ethnic or national origins".

So what you’re saying is that you’re a racist too, given your loathing of the British way of life? It saddens me that so many youngsters have been brainwashed by the liberal monopoly of social sciences and humanities in our education system for many years now. To the point where millions now hate their country, their nationality, their class, their gender, their heritage, their culture, their colour, their history, their democracy...whilst the rest of the world looks on in envy and bemusement. Seriously Clamp, put the Guardian down or whatever’s polarised your opinions and get some other sources. There is much to be proud of and optimistic about in this country: past, present and future.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We perfected it, then suddenly got a conscience and became the self righteous hippocrates we are still today. We espouse all these great social values of freedom and charity and social conscience in a country where we are quite happy to accept homelessness, food banks, underfunded education and health services and working poverty for millions.

Yes, be proud.

Ah, you seek a different world in that case. They do a nice unicorn steak in Utopia I hear. If you could be so good as to send us all directions, there’s a good chap :)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Can I just point out that nobody has claimed the British invented slavery.

Pioneer was the word used.

Verb: to initiate or originate.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So what you’re saying is that you’re a racist too, given your loathing of the British way of life? It saddens me that so many youngsters have been brainwashed by the liberal monopoly of social sciences and humanities in our education system for many years now. To the point where millions now hate their country, their nationality, their class, their gender, their heritage, their culture, their colour, their history, their democracy...whilst the rest of the world looks on in envy and bemusement. Seriously Clamp, put the Guardian down or whatever’s polarised your opinions and get some other sources. There is much to be proud of and optimistic about in this country: past, present and future.

I'm sorry but I'm not even going to address that. Dial down the vitriol please. I'm as British as cricket on the green I just don't happen to think our British way of life is under threat. Well, I do think Brexit is putting it under great strain but that's a different thread.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here