Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gareth Southgate bemoans lack of English players

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I take the point

Regarding the difference between Championship and Premier League though, I often feel (with exception of the top top players) the real difference for most is not talent, but consistency. Knockaert regularly delivered in the Championship but in Premier League it's been here and there - but he had a great game vs Manchester United for example - so clearly is capable.

Therefore, when a player is on a run of confidence, I think they could potentially deliver at international level even if playing in Championship. Also, most internationals aren't against teams playing the standard of top Premier League sides.

Well, consistency is the key word here isn't it. Anyone, on any given day when the stars align, can be capable of turning in a great performance even against one of the big boys. We see it all the time, when a player from a lower division has a stormer, and everyone goes "wow, whats he doing in the Championship / League 1 ?". The reason is because they have it in them to do it sometimes. But they don't have it in them to do it often enough to be amongst the best, or even the very good. I think Knockaert falls into that category to a large extent.

Which is fine, they can't all be Eden Hazards. If Knocky was better than he is, he wouldn't still be at Brighton would he. We just have to wait longer for him to have one of those games when he's great, and accept that most of the time, he'll just be alright.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Baseball is NEVER a waste of time. :thumbsup:

It has been watching the TWINS this year, but then what do you expect, when they trade my mancrush Brian Dozier to the Angels :cry:

Thats £25 on 81 wins well and truly up the swanny this season as well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems to have been for the Blue Jays this season.
True. I mean, 4-0 up against the shittest team in baseball and lost 10-5 yesterday. Unbelievable.

It has been watching the TWINS this year, but then what do you expect, when they trade my mancrush Brian Dozier to the Angels :cry:

Thats £25 on 81 wins well and truly up the swanny this season as well.
Yes, watching the Blue Jays is rather like watching the Twins this season. We are DREADFUL.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
True. I mean, 4-0 up against the shittest team in baseball and lost 10-5 yesterday. Unbelievable.

Yes, watching the Blue Jays is rather like watching the Twins this season. We are DREADFUL.

Indeed. Experts at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Plus we decided to get rid of most of our team halfway through the season :shrug:

Both the Twins and the Blue Jays got off to great starts too. That's what's most frustrating.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I feel it is more about exposure than anything else. Chelsea may have hundreds of youngsters on their books who stay there for years and never get a chance to play but would those players benefit from being at Bournemouth and actually playing. With top clubs harvesting the best talents it also inflates the prices of the market and ironically the HGP quota has made English players more expensive and subsequently ment that clubs sign other options for less from abroad.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think the problem is whilst I agree with the 150 figure for English players in PL squads, surely 100 of them don't play and so it's really only 50 getting games?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I feel it is more about exposure than anything else. Chelsea may have hundreds of youngsters on their books who stay there for years and never get a chance to play but would those players benefit from being at Bournemouth and actually playing. With top clubs harvesting the best talents it also inflates the prices of the market and ironically the HGP quota has made English players more expensive and subsequently ment that clubs sign other options for less from abroad.

The hoarding of young talent is clearly an issue. Would it be sensible to limit the number of players over 18 that a club can have on their books?

Looks like Chelsea have about 40 players out on loan again.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Would it be sensible to limit the number of players over 18 that a club can have on their books?

Not while we're in the EU and are subject to their employment laws...

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We are a huge culprit of this but he doesn’t consider our players, so who really cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Southgate is a weedy nob end anyway.

He should wind his neck in and get on with it.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The hoarding of young talent is clearly an issue. Would it be sensible to limit the number of players over 18 that a club can have on their books?

Looks like Chelsea have about 40 players out on loan again.

Take Abraham for example, he probably hasn't spent much time training with the first team at Chelsea. If he had been at Reading then he would have 200+ matches under his belt and be able to move to a Premiership side for a reasonable figure. But at Chelsea they won't sell him for less than £20m

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Take Abraham for example, he probably hasn't spent much time training with the first team at Chelsea. If he had been at Reading then he would have 200+ matches under his belt and be able to move to a Premiership side for a reasonable figure. But at Chelsea they won't sell him for less than £20m

This is the same Tammy Abraham that played in the Community Shield for Chelsea a few weeks back? The same one that made 33 appearance in the Prem for Swansea last season and who scored 23 Championship goals for Bristol the season before and who has 2 England Caps? And who is still only 20 years old. You can criticise Chelsea for the way they treat players in general, but with Tammy they've given him every chance to develop in the way he needs to. Loan back to the Championship with Villa this season is a step back for him, but with the window closing in the Premier League it probably was the best offer available.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think we should be more concerned about the low numbers of our players who go and play elsewhere. There are a number of reasons that we are shit at international level and i think that lack of pathway for English players is a symptom of a few of them.

This is the issue for me. Basically clubs around Europe (and beyond) now recruit based on ability and cost, and (subject to work permits and some local rules on HGP's etc) don't really care about nationality. Because the English Premier League pays the top dollar, the best tend to filter up to this league. So a player (from anywhere) who proves himself in the top division in Spain, France or Italy might get a move to a Premier League Club, which is *very broadly* a step up, or so we are told. It'd be the same elsewhere - I can't believe a side in the aforementioned countries wouldn't take an English player at the right ability and price. So why aren't young British/Irish players heading abroad to other top divisions play at what is perhaps a slight step down in order to prove themselves and earn their living?

I an only assume that:

1. The mentality on these islands (particularly among young footballers) very small-minded and anti-broadening horizons.
2. The money here is so good for young footballers that they are better off.
3. Clubs and players genuinely think the Championship is a better place to develop than top divisions in Europe.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here