Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ABBA system of penalty kicks.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
There's a statistic that something like 75%? of penalties are won by the team taking first, so this is supposed to even the pressure.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
But, as has been pointed out, the team that wins the toss of a coin, and kicks first, is statistically more likely to win.

Well that's just one of those things, like bad luck, so we are now statistically predicting who will have bad luck on the night, whatever next.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Well that's just one of those things, like bad luck, so we are now statistically predicting who will have bad luck on the night, whatever next.

Not sure statistics is for you. Nothing to do with bad luck. It's an unfair advantage on a coin toss. That can't be a satisfactory way to go about things when a change makes it more even at absolutely no disadvantage to anyone.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's a statistic that something like 75%? of penalties are won by the team taking first, so this is supposed to even the pressure.

This is the reasoning, yes, but the statistic is nothing like as dramatic as that. It was more like 58%

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure statistics is for you. Nothing to do with bad luck. It's an unfair advantage on a coin toss. That can't be a satisfactory way to go about things when a change makes it more even at absolutely no disadvantage to anyone.

Within the standard 5v5 penalties, I remain unconvinced that the new system really changes that advantage at all. the team winning the toss kicks first, and the other side will still be taking the final (of the 5v5) kick, which will always be potentially decisive one way or the other, if the kicks go that far. Whatever happens in the shoot-out the taker of a tenth penalty will still be stepping up knowing he HAS to score to either win or save the game.

(If the shoot-out goes to sudden death, then the ABBA system DOES equalize the pressures)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The old system had one team always playing catch up, if team A scored first. It's only the coin toss that is down to luck.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Within the standard 5v5 penalties, I remain unconvinced that the new system really changes that advantage at all. the team winning the toss kicks first, and the other side will still be taking the final (of the 5v5) kick, which will always be potentially decisive one way or the other, if the kicks go that far. Whatever happens in the shoot-out the taker of a tenth penalty will still be stepping up knowing he HAS to score to either win or save the game.

(If the shoot-out goes to sudden death, then the ABBA system DOES equalize the pressures)

Yep not sure I disagree. I imagine we'll see what the trial finds. It may well show exactly the same as we have now.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

I have a degree in engineering and maths is no problem, someone has to start and someone has to finish, how will that be decided, on penalties ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have a degree in engineering and maths is no problem, someone has to start and someone has to finish, how will that be decided, on penalties ?

I might be stating the blindingly obvious here, but in competitions like the League Cup and Checkatrade cup, if the tie ends in a draw, then a penalty shootout is played. That's when the order of penalties will be changed from
A B
A B
A B
A B
A B

to the above ABBA format.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I might be stating the blindingly obvious here, but in competitions like the League Cup and Checkatrade cup, if the tie ends in a draw, then a penalty shootout is played. That's when the order of penalties will be changed from
A B
A B
A B
A B
A B

to the above ABBA format.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other, my final word on this.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Firstly, not all penalty shoot-outs go to the tenth kick.

Secondly, if you think that if it goes to sudden death, then the ABBA system DOES equalise the pressures, why doesn't it equalise the pressures before then ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Firstly, not all penalty shoot-outs go to the tenth kick.

No shit.

if the kicks go that far. Whatever happens in the shoot-out the taker of a tenth

Secondly, if you think that if it goes to sudden death, then the ABBA system DOES equalise the pressures, why doesn't it equalise the pressures before then ?

Because those same pressures are WAY less relevant until the kicks become decisive, which the second / third pens for each team are not. 'Equalise the pressure' was a poor choice of words anyway - 'alternate the highest pressure' would have been better. From the fifth kick onwards, this does so, and thus is worth a try. Doesn't alter the simple fact though, that you lose the toss, you have to take the last and always critical kick of the regular ten.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Because those same pressures are WAY less relevant until the kicks become decisive, which the second / third pens for each team are not.[/QUOTE]

There may be one or two footballers who may disagree with that. All kicks in the shoot-out are equally important to score, you miss the second or third that could be game over.

By your logic only the last 5 minutes perhaps of a game is the decisive time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There may be one or two footballers who may disagree with that. All kicks in the shoot-out are equally important to score, you miss the second or third that could be game over.

By your logic only the last 5 minutes perhaps of a game is the decisive time.

Don't be stupid.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
So Should I laugh or Should I cry at this suggestion? Would we see the keeper commenting afterwards that the ball was “Slipping through my Fingers”? And will we see more of the “That’s Me” shenanigans. Maybe "Fernando" might have something else to say on this. "Knowing Me knowing You" this could happen.
I’ll Put on my white Sombrero.......:facepalm:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here