Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Way to Find New Music

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I find myself watching Justice and Moderat on Glastonbury highlights, both of whom I'd now love to see live. I had no idea they existed before tonight!

I am middle aged. Two very young kids and my eyes are almost exclusively on their wellbeing. But I love good music. I know Radio 6 but are there folk you trust to bring good music to you?

Be interested to know all sorts. I know a bit but not enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
These days youtube will do it for you. Look up bands you like or tracks you like and you will get suggestions. Then just trawl around and follow up what you like and you'll get more suggestions. I stumbled across a Brighton band that way a while ago, posted my find on NSC and lo and behold the singer is a season ticket holfder and NSC member :O

I am 59 years old and still constantly astonished by new music :cheers:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to love Justice a few years back, lost touch, but you're the second person who has told me to check out their current live set. And Moderat are excellent; seen them live myself and also seen Apparat (the rat in Moderat) a number of times. Good choices. I'll reply in proper to your question in the morning...just got back from a Sun Ra gig and need bed.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Thanks chaps. I used to get the algorithms on Amazon when I bought music. I've tried the same on Spotify and there's a bit of a shortfall in suggestions. I've tried it on a wide variety of bands/artists that I like it just points towards the highest sellers.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I use soundcloud. if there is someone you like you add them. Any tracks or mixes or projects theyre working on they post. This comes up in your feed rather like facebook. Now these people also repost tracks and artists they like . You can also follow your friends who like tracks and follow people that they follow .

I am following about 60 people . they aren't all artists as such I follow a lot of record labels which put a lot more stuff up . Each day I probably get about 10 hours of music in my feed.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
6 Music as you say. I'm often underwhelmed by some of the stuff suggested on here that I go away and listen to, a lot of which to me is quite 'middle of the road' and arguably reflective of the pervading demographic on here in terms of age and taste, no offence intended, it's just the nature of this site.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I've heard some brilliant stuff recommended here. There are some great musical minds on here, but you expect this from Brighton,

Amate of mine took me to see The Midnight Ghost Train and I can honestly say that that gig was up there with Gruff Rhys as one of the greatest gigs I've ever been to. Desertscene I think is coming up in London and it's a lot of looping rock (stoner rock). No this isn't a plug just an interested fan...

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I find myself watching Justice and Moderat on Glastonbury highlights, both of whom I'd now love to see live. I had no idea they existed before tonight!

I am middle aged. Two very young kids and my eyes are almost exclusively on their wellbeing. But I love good music. I know Radio 6 but are there folk you trust to bring good music to you?

Be interested to know all sorts. I know a bit but not enough.

Follow @ Buzzer on Twitter , always putting up reviews of bands I've never heard .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So. I'm shortly 49 and as enthusiastic about music as I've ever been....if anything I indulge more now than ever, 30-40 gigs a year and I dread to think about the numbers of vinyl and CDs I buy. I feel I'm reasonably aware of what's going on in the fields I like and it's via a variety of disparate sources I have kind of built up over the years.

This site has been very useful and for the music you mentioned [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] has provided me with some tips (Baths springs to mind) but he's quiet of late. I also subscribe to Brighton's Resident and Rough Trade mailshots and read these each week and listen to anything which sounds interesting. A lot of bands I like play small festivals and they often curate line ups with related/similar artists...either attend the festival yourself or read up on the acts. A good example is the Pop-Kultur festival has Alexis Taylor and Young Fathers playing....the line up has introduced me to Anna Meredith. Friends also....I have [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] to thank for Algiers. In short, no one source, but I keep searching.

But, the great news is that if you have just been introduced to Justice and Moderat there's a ton of stuff waiting for you...Jon Hopkins, Daniel Avery are two British producers who come to immediate mind, Orchestra of Bubbles by Ellen Allien and Apparat's back catalogue are two from Berlin before we went back to 44 techno. Weval, Gui Boratto, Coma from the excellent Kompakt label. Caribou as well. These will keep you busy!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Some of the playlists on Spotify are worth a follow. Hot New Bands for instance, it gets updated once a month with new bands, if you like what you hear then you can click on the artist and listen some more. Its quite eclectic but worth a listen. New music Friday too is worth a follow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also, let's not forget there is some amazing music and genres which has been and gone. Looking back is as fun as looking forward. I was a late convert to Bowie and Nick Cave. Some of the more abstract electronic music, and Krautrock, I like has led me to free jazz....not even sure where to begin with this.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Spotify's Discover Weekly and New Release Radar can both throw up some gems- go to Browse, then Discover. In this page you'll also find about 16 recommendations of albums based on what you listen to, another 16 based on what you listen to and what's new, and then (something i really like), recommendations on individual artists you've listened to. Sometimes they'll combine two artists, i.e 'you listened to Moderat and Justice, here's some recommendations', and that can be great.

But, my favourite thing at the moment is the recommendations added at the bottom of playlists- make a playlist, doesn't have to be huge, and then at the bottom Spotify will recommend songs they think fit into this playlist. The list can be refreshed over and over so it's a very quick way of hearing new stuff you might be into. I've got pretty esoteric tastes but i consistently find gems using these tools.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Whatever happened to browsing through album racks at the weekend and taking a chance on an album because the cover looked good, or just flopping down on the beanbags in virgin and listening to an album to hear if it was any good.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Whatever happened to browsing through album racks at the weekend and taking a chance on an album because the cover looked good, or just flopping down on the beanbags in virgin and listening to an album to hear if it was any good.

I can't stop myself going through CDs in charity shops. I remember going to Virgin with my mum in the 70s, it was to get a present for my brother .... Electric Ladyland ... that went well when she saw the cover

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't know about you, but I stopped being a student......................!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here