Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Books have you Failed to Finish?

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Honestly, i have ploughed on to finish every book I have started.... i alwys think just 30 more pages this has to improve.

I am the same, I hate not to finish a book. The Lord of The Rings took me a couple of attempts, but the hardest struggle was Possession by A S Byatt - in the end I resorted to force reading it on my commute to work and actually quite enjoyed it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The last Dan Brown book. So samey as all his books since Da Vinci code.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Although I finished the book, I would agree lots of running around chasing clues, just the location is different. Don't think I will bother with the new one out in October

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Plague Dogs;
Nicholas Nickleby;
The Silmarillion;
Artemis Fowle;
and good shouts earlier for Tristram Shandy and Catch 22 (although I think I managed to force myself to get to the end of Catch 22, but it was so dreadful I managed to expunge most if not all of it from my memory).

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
"Under the Volcano" : Malcolm Lowry : Depressing subject matter so not a good book to go to when you're not feeling too great yourself which strangely is when I always seem to return to it. Am determined to get there in the end. It apparently took ten years to write so quite appropriate that it's taken me about five years to try and finish and I'm still not there. Haven't tackled it for over a year.

I know what you mean. I soldiered on and finished it - last two chapters unfortunately are quite confusing, so I had to re-read them. Think I probably followed up with something a little lighter. I don't like not finishing a book. My worst was If On A Winter's Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino. Managed to finish it the third time. It's not even that long.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Does anybody else find second attempts years later helps?
My first attempt to read Moby Dick ended with the book in the rubbish bin. Second time around I thought it was brilliant. Same with Crime and Punishment.

However, after about a dozen reads of Lord of the Rings, and several reads of The Hobbit, I just cannot finish Silmarilion.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
A lot of votes on here for Catch 22. I'm another one, just couldn't 'get on' with it

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. I actually got quite a long way through it before realising I couldn't care less about the ending. It was badly written and made any Peter James book (and I love the Roy Grace series) look like Shakespeare.

The other one is the fourth Lisbeth Salander book - the one not written by Stieg Larson - it was terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I know what you mean. I soldiered on and finished it - last two chapters unfortunately are quite confusing, so I had to re-read them. Think I probably followed up with something a little lighter. I don't like not finishing a book. My worst was If On A Winter's Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino. Managed to finish it the third time. It's not even that long.

I found Under The Volcano quite an easy read (I wouldn't say enjoyable though), but I saw the film first

boik

Don't get all the criticism of LoTR - it's widely recognised as one of the greatest books written with hundreds of millions of fans and sales toboot. It might not be your cuppa but that doesn't make it tedious. Just you're not exactly target audience. I wouldn't try reading many of the classics because I can't say I'm interested in Mr Darcy's torso, beautifully described as it may be. I.e. Chances are I'll yawn my head off. I might not but chances are I will. I know this in ADVANCE! But I'd never call Jane Austin, Bronte, Dickins etc boring. Just not my style so I won't try and read them. You can judge a book to a degree by its cover. Seems some on here haven't got the wit to know that, no wonder they struggled to get beyond the preface if so!!

TOLKEIN IN!

No, I'm sorry, but there is every reason to find LOTR tedious. Just a stream of made up place names and made up peoples names none of which you can empathise with. I had the same trouble with One Hundred Years Of Solitude. Just an endless cascade of similar sounding names. I'm not put off by long works, but they do have to have some kind of focus, and feature someone whose place I could imagine being in, otherise there's nothing to relate to.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I like catch 22. Surprised so many people find it dull.

That said, my offering is Crime and Punishment. I found the writing incredibly longwinded and frankly boring and struggled to stay focused for more than a few paragraphs.

And Americana by Don Delillo. Dull dull dull.

I was the opposite with the first two. Didn't finish Catch 22 but finished Crime and Punishment. On that basis maybe I should give Americana a try.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forgot about Wolf Hall. Perfectly summed up by Barry Shitpeas
Find me something that isn't perfectly summed up by Mr Shitpeas.

#VoiceOfReason.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, I'm sorry, but there is every reason to find LOTR tedious. Just a stream of made up place names and made up peoples names.........................
Of course it's made up names and places - it's a novel, and a fantasy novel at that. It's not meant to be about real people and places. Would it have been any better for you if Frodo had been called George, and had to make the perilous journey from Luton to Brighton, all the time watching out for the daemons of Selhurst trying to stop him?

.................none of which you can empathise with.
Slight correction to be made here: "None of which you can empathise with". Millions can.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Aside from all the ones I never started (ho ho ho...) the only one I can think of is The Trial, by Kafka. I actually got almost to the end. I wonder what happened? Actually, no, no I don't care. That was the problem, really.

boik

Of course it's made up names and places - it's a novel, and a fantasy novel at that. It's not meant to be about real people and places. Would it have been any better for you if Frodo had been called George, and had to make the perilous journey from Luton to Brighton, all the time watching out for the daemons of Selhurst trying to stop him?

Slight correction to be made here: "None of which you can empathise with". Millions can.

Just me then. I must admit the whole fantasy, sci-fi, superhero scene etc leaves me cold, although I have tried on numerous occasions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just me then. I must admit the whole fantasy, sci-fi, superhero scene etc leaves me cold, although I have tried on numerous occasions.
To be fair, not just you - but you are definitely in a minority, I think. I'm pretty sure if you did a poll (not just on NSC, but anywhere) for world's best book/favourite book/greatest novel of all time etc, nine times out of ten I guess you'd find Lord of the Rings pretty near the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here