Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beeping your horn at a learner driver

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I was only doing 75.

I'm not sure either tbh but it worked as they swerved back into their lane milliseconds enough to stop me spinning them round. From their position in the drivers seat they weren't more than 6ft from the actual horn (albeit with a window and road noise).

That's what they all say...

Only kidding. Yeah, I guess they must test how loud they are actually. It'd be a bit shortsighted if the horn didn't actually have any effect on the fasted roads!

Glad you averted disaster as well.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
And how would the driving instructor make the learner go quicker ?

No need to go any quicker but as they are driving at half the speed limit on a road with little opportunity to overtake safely for miles and miles, it would be nice if they used one of the many opportunities to pull over safely and let the 50 cars behind them past......I think I'm talking about tractor drivers really. Slow moving vehicles just don't seem to care about the tailbacks they cause any more.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I popped out a few minutes ago and as i was driving down Dyke Road a learner driver pulled out very slowly from a side road on the left. I started to brake gently while the car in front of me accelerated up to the learner beeping their horn.

I wondered what sort of a **** you have to be to do that to someone who is probably very nervous and trying to learn.

So, has anyone on NSC ever done this and will admit to it ?

Idiotic behaviour.

Far more effective to give the learner a little nudge. [emoji51]

I had an incident whereby a learner driver pulled out from a side street and nearly knocked me off my pedal bike completely oblivious to the fact. As I caught him up at the next junction I quite politely
raised his attention to the incident to which his (I assume) mother leant over from the passenger seat and shouted 'he's learning to drive you f**khead'.

I'm still trying to get my f***edhead around the logic that allows a learner driver to maime/kill/seriously injure another road user because they are learning. It would be funny except for the fact that trying to reason with an individual like that is not likely to succeed.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I hate people that actually bib their hornes....no need for horns on vehicles as it just irrates people big time.

Like them or not, they have to be there so that you can make others be aware of your presence in an emergency.
Should only be used in an emergency though, here, even though everybody who visits friends say goodbye at the gate, they still feel the need to beep when they drive away, no matter what time of the night it is, really annoying.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Happened to me on my test too.

I had to manoeuvre across two lanes of traffic to turn right at a set of lights. Some bitch in a smart car beeped me as I moved across into her lane even though I'd been signalling for ages.

It was put down as a serious error and I failed.

Moving across another lane, even though you have been indicating for ages is not a right, if there isn't a space big enough.
The indication only shows your intent, like a request and you have to wait till a space is available, even if it means bringing the traffic behind you to a halt in the process.
If my youngest daughter had heeded this advice she would still have a car, nothing worse than drivers flicking on an indicator and pulling out immediately, happens here all the time as they are not taught to, mirror, signal, manoeuvre.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
My instructor always got me to beep the learner drivers (the opposition). We'd be doing parallel parking down at the Marina or three point turns in Woodingdean and if we saw a learner I would have to give them dogs' abuse. I kept failing my test for misuse of the horn.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I hate people that actually bib their hornes....no need for horns on vehicles as it just irrates people big time.

apart from when people are apparently asleep at traffic lights and such........there is a lot of idiocy on the roads these days with some road users willing to risk life and limb to cut a few minutes off the journey and some who appear generally clueless as to how to drive correctly , in answer to the op , i always give learners the decency they deserve and give them i wide berth , i will ,however , pass them as soon as reasonably possible.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Everyone over here needs to take a course on how to use a roundabout, nearly had a couple of bingles last week when tossers are indicating left when they are going straight on, clueless.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rule170. "watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

Not that anyone does....

Which is dandy in theory but rights of way are all a bit moot when someone steps into the road from behind a car or simply the have not seen you. Yes of course they have right of way but they do also have a responsibility to check if you are aware they are there. No good just stepping blindly into the road hoping a truck at 40mph knows it's your right of way.

"Ah, what can I say about our dear departed Dave? Well I'll say one thing, no matter how reckless he was, he had the right of way".

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Use of the horn is a cultural thing. At least, it is in Italy. Mind you, it NEVER has the effect of altering the behaviour of another road user.

I think it did yesterday when the bloke I was overtaking on the A27 who was driving at about 35mph started drifting into my lane when I was overtaking him (fortunately ).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Speaking of not looking/ignorance

Myself, two of my brothers and my sister, about 7 in the morning, weekday on the motorway, driving to the West Country. Traffic flowing fast but busy. We are in middle lane, brother driving. A highway maintenance truck in front over in the outside lane just cuts across the two lanes that are open from the outside and into the coned off inside lane, as he does so he knocks a cone that flies into our lane, across the bonnet and somehow underneath our car, wedging underneath. Brother slams on the accelerator to get the thing out as it's causing the car to fishtail. Cone comes flying out the back and narrowly misses the car behind who has thankfully seen the drama and slowed right back. Our car wobbles, almost starts spinning but rights itself just in time. Sister screaming, brother yelling, all of us terrified and shaken up. I reckon the maintenance driver was still pissed from the night before. Utterly reckless and very nearly caused a major motorway accident.

We were on our way to one of our Brother's funeral.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Happened to me on my test too.

I had to manoeuvre across two lanes of traffic to turn right at a set of lights. Some bitch in a smart car beeped me as I moved across into her lane even though I'd been signalling for ages.

It was put down as a serious error and I failed.

You sound surprised that it was a serious fault!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Moving across another lane, even though you have been indicating for ages is not a right, if there isn't a space big enough.
The indication only shows your intent, like a request and you have to wait till a space is available, even if it means bringing the traffic behind you to a halt in the process.
If my youngest daughter had heeded this advice she would still have a car, nothing worse than drivers flicking on an indicator and pulling out immediately, happens here all the time as they are not taught to, mirror, signal, manoeuvre.

Happens all the time here as well, particularly on motorways.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People do this at horseriders too. Utterly senseless and damned right dangerous. W ankers all of 'em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here